Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 AM

84 posts, read 342,677 times

Advertisements

We just moved in a month ago in Cinco South West. Other day someone told me that there are many copper head snakes in that area since its all new construction and lot of empty lots.

Anyone seen these kind of poisonous snakes in Cinco Southwest?

Is there anything we can do to avoid them?

Is there a First Aid Tool Kit available to keep at home in case of Snake Bite?

I am very allergic to Snakes. I don't even to go Snakes section when we visit Zoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,179 times
Fear not! The only snake I've ever seen in Cinco West where I live (not far from you) is a harmless little ribbon snake. I think my only advice would be to avoid leaving trash/shrub piles laying around and when you are working in your garden or shrubs stamp your feet around a bit before diving in.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 AM

166 posts, read 899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthome View Post
We just moved in a month ago in Cinco South West. Other day someone told me that there are many copper head snakes in that area since its all new construction and lot of empty lots.

Anyone seen these kind of poisonous snakes in Cinco Southwest?

Is there anything we can do to avoid them?

Is there a First Aid Tool Kit available to keep at home in case of Snake Bite?

I am very allergic to Snakes. I don't even to go Snakes section when we visit Zoo.
If your house is near or backs to a body of water, such as a lake or bayou (especially), you're definitely going to get snakes wondering around your property. Not sure if any of them are the poisonous type, but some of the snakes I've seen are quite large (about 3 to 4 feet). That might not seem that big, but when you are done swatting the heck out of one with a shovel and you hold it up after pounding its head to kill it, it sure looks like a decent size no matter what. If you have a detached garage, they like to find their way in there and coil around in something dark (like boxes). You have to be careful when you're in the garage digging around. I speak from experience as my parents house backed to a body of water.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratfordspartans View Post
I've seen are quite large (about 3 to 4 feet). That might not seem that big, but when you are done swatting the heck out of one with a shovel and you hold it up after pounding its head to kill it, it sure looks like a decent size no matter what. \.
AHH LOL. Gosh isn't that the truth!

I lived by a run-off on Woodway and had a few cottonmouth/water mocassins in my yard and pool.

I currently back to Buffalo Bayou and have yet to see anything that isn't dead in the road. Of course, it's winter and everything is buried deep underground. Just check the skimmers in the pool before you get in!

I have snake boots for my NE Texas place. Copperheads are pretty common there.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
I've seen plenty of snakes in my yard but all have been of the beneficial variety and I leave them pretty much alone. Only one got snappy with me, or rather with my cat who was "helping" in the garden one day...he lost his head. Beneficial snakes keep the slugs and bugs out of your gardens and are generally good neighbors. I haven't seen any copperheads or poisonous varieties except out in the woods or along a waterway.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:58 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,498 times
There are poisonous snakes in the Houston area, but bites are pretty rare, and fatal bites are ridiculously rare, like 1 every 2-3 years in all of Texas rare.

Anyways, snakes aren't anything to really worry about too much. The best way to keep them away is to make the environment not conducive to their well being. This means, make sure food sources are scarce and the habitat they like is also scarce.

1. Snakes eat bugs or eat things that eat bugs. Keep your yard maintained and keep a good insecticide on and around your house. This will minimize the snake's food source.
2. Snakes like to hide. They don't like to be out in the open all that often, they like wood piles, brush piles, non-trimmed/ill-maintained landscape beds, etc. Having a well maintained lawn without a lot of places to hide will make most snakes find somewhere else to go.
3. Most snake-repellent products don't really work, or have a shaky history of working, so don't waste a bunch of money on products that promise to rid you of snakes. Keep debris piles out of your yard, keep the lawn mowed, and cut away ultra dense foliage on the ground.

Also, you can purchase snake bite kits. I have seen them. I don't know exactly where to get them, but my guess is places that sell hunting/camping gear might carry them, such as Academy.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,564 times
Snake bite kits are basically useless. If you know what you are doing and can apply suction within 30 seconds they can/might be of some help. Do NOT use your mouth to generate suction.

Copperhead envenomations are not dangerous. While I would recommend a bite victim go to the doctor, in most cases they will not prescribe any treatment other than pain relief. Water moccasins are more dangerous and large rattlesnakes can be quite dangerous. There are Mojave Green rattlers down here which are extremely dangerous - because of the toxicity and complexity of their venom.

We also have coral snakes which have a potent neurotoxic venom - but they have very small mouths, are not aggressive, avoid human activity and have small fixed fangs that do not inject venom efficiently. I have never seen one in the wild.

We have woods behind our house and I have yet to come across a venomous snake. As Supermac34 recommends - keep your yard neat and you will likely never see one. Even in the highly unlikely event you are bitten doctors can generally treat any envenomation that might occur. Even if you could not get to a hospital, venomous snake bites in the US would rarely be fatal. Don't worry about snakes - other than the human kind.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
Snake bite kits are basically useless. If you know what you are doing and can apply suction within 30 seconds they can/might be of some help. Do NOT use your mouth to generate suction.

Copperhead envenomations are not dangerous. While I would recommend a bite victim go to the doctor, in most cases they will not prescribe any treatment other than pain relief. Water moccasins are more dangerous and large rattlesnakes can be quite dangerous. There are Mojave Green rattlers down here which are extremely dangerous - because of the toxicity and complexity of their venom.

We also have coral snakes which have a potent neurotoxic venom - but they have very small mouths, are not aggressive, avoid human activity and have small fixed fangs that do not inject venom efficiently. I have never seen one in the wild.

We have woods behind our house and I have yet to come across a venomous snake. As Supermac34 recommends - keep your yard neat and you will likely never see one. Even in the highly unlikely event you are bitten doctors can generally treat any envenomation that might occur. Even if you could not get to a hospital, venomous snake bites in the US would rarely be fatal. Don't worry about snakes - other than the human kind.
Excellent synopsis.

These threads always crack me up. I think that the snakes should probably be afraid of your kids. As an older boy and teenager, I killed every rattlesnake I ever saw and more than a few copperheads, but those snakes were all in Brookshire and the Katy of 20 years ago (very different).

Just wait until your kids start bringing garter snakes in the house and asking "Mom! Can we keep him???"

Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM

54 posts, read 271,894 times
I live in Memorial and my property is bordered on two sides by soldier creek. My yard is like the Wild Kingdom. Snakes, Raccoons, Opossum, and all types of critters frequent my yard. There are typically two bullfrogs in my pool every evening. They scare the $%^% out of me when I am cleaning the leaves out of the skimmers and one leaps out

I kill an average of 2 copperheads every year. I also see allot of other non-poisonous snakes, but I have gotten used to them.

My yard is a snake magnet. In addition to the creek, I have a pool and I built a large fishpond with waterfall and creek that is landscaped in natural rocks and vegetation.

I judge how bad it will be in a given year by reviewing the number and size of snake skins in the spring. The snakes like to use the rocks in the artificial stream to remove their old skin.

If I was really paranoid, I would get a cat, but I don't like cats and I am too lazy to care for a dog.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,835 times
You live in South East Texas, snakes are as common here as the cold is in Minnesota. Get a couple of cats or dogs; the snakes will find somewhere else to sliver around as they definetely do not like commingling with these types of animals. Don't get to attached to the animals you leave in your yard as every once in a while they may have to "take one for the team".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston