Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:29 PM

118 posts, read 314,719 times

Advertisements

After studying carefully the City Data website & a few other info sources,I decided to relocate to Houston from Greece,so as to live " the American Dream ".

Houston has the edge from the other big TX cities,because of sea access.
I like speedboats & pwc.

My original goal was the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area,but seems too expensive...

I welcome advices from Houston veterans,people who live & work at Houston for many years, or were born & raised there

Advice on anything that websites & internet may not reveal or portray accurately.

For instance,reality about crime,job availability,clarity of seawater etc...

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:56 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,703,277 times
I dont have anything further to add except welcome. The American Dream is dying a slow death, especially the past 8 years. But there are still
opportunities not available any place else. And oh yes, you will find lots of boating opportunities here. Ya gotta lovit !

Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM

530 posts, read 2,038,978 times
Boating hasn't always been "for the rich" in Southeast Texas, but it's getting more expensive these days. If you want affordable boating, stay rural, that is away from the cities. IMO.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:27 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,703,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Boating hasn't always been "for the rich" in Southeast Texas, but it's getting more expensive these days. If you want affordable boating, stay rural, that is away from the cities. IMO.
You got that right.

Im an hour above down town Houston and yes it is much cheaper.

I been shopping for a used boat and find they are grossly over priced here. Locals are telling me to go to Lousiana to buy one because it's cheaper. Why is everyone asking what they paid for the boat 5 years ago? Has anyone heard of depreciation?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 PM

568 posts, read 1,479,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewcomer View Post
After studying carefully the City Data website & a few other info sources,I decided to relocate to Houston from Greece,so as to live " the American Dream ".

Houston has the edge from the other big TX cities,because of sea access.
I like speedboats & pwc.

My original goal was the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area,but seems too expensive...

I welcome advices from Houston veterans,people who live & work at Houston for many years, or were born & raised there

Advice on anything that websites & internet may not reveal or portray accurately.

For instance,reality about crime,job availability,clarity of seawater etc...

Thanks in advance.

Lol, crime is horrible in Houston. All the Hurricane Katrina victims and illegals are taking all the jobs. The sea water has nothing on what's found in Florida.

If you can live in Greece, Fort Lauderdale isn't expensive at all.. I was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale (I thought it was expensive at the time) and when I saw the prices in Europe I nearly had a breakdown. Everything cost alot more, even if you factor in the weak dollar.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 AM

156 posts, read 494,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewcomer View Post
After studying carefully the City Data website & a few other info sources,I decided to relocate to Houston from Greece,so as to live " the American Dream "..
Ahhhh... you better hold off on the "American Dream" part.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 AM

Well.thanks for the kind comments...

Ft Lauderdale is expensive compared to TX,but cheaper than Athens,Greece.

I would like LA which has topography & climate similar to Athens GR,but...1m for an appartment...

TX is a real bargain...U can have acreage,literally & metaphoricaly...So much bang for the euro...

As for crime,I have a news feed...

Many freak murders,but at least u can arm yourself... Castle law is great. Concealed carry too...

As for the American Dream,there is an expression like : " only if u have seen the lowest valley " or so...

I guess now we are at the bottom of the valley & we can only go up...

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,754,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I been shopping for a used boat and find they are grossly over priced here. Locals are telling me to go to Lousiana to buy one because it's cheaper. Why is everyone asking what they paid for the boat 5 years ago? Has anyone heard of depreciation?
You know what they say: If you have too much money buy a boat and that will solve the problem...

Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,299,178 times
crime is not horrible in Houston and esp not in Clear lake,League city which is where you would want to be if interested in boating. They have races on clear lake and you can also go out in the bay all the way to Galveston. Redfish island is where many boaters dock and take a swim. The water clarity there is really nice but not anything near Greece.
I have lived in Houston proper all my life and have never encountered crime personally.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM

Seabrook looked good on Google map but waterfront properties are expensive anywhere...

Tiny narrow lots at quarter-to-half a mil...

Lakefront lots are relatively affordable...

Anyhow,TX land is a bargain,seems like FL land in the '70s...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston