Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 AM

70 posts, read 293,947 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out of Texas due to the extremely high property taxes. I currently live in Dallas and while I enjoy the city, weather and neighborhood I am not at all a fan of the property taxes. I understand that there is no state income tax here but that does not make up for the amount of property tax that is paid here. The county of Dallas has a 2.4% tax rate on the value of the property which is based on the value of the neighborhood. So even if I bought a foreclosed home for $250,000 in a $500,000 neighborhood, my property tax is based on the $500,000, that is insane. I stumble upon an article this morning about Stafford, Tx which does not have a property tax. Can anyone tell me what the neighborhoods are like there? If anyone is familiar with the Dallas Metroplex, what city is Stafford most similar to? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 11:29 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,347 times
Stafford is basically an industrial (mostly light industry) enclave that does have a few small middle-to-lower middle class subdivisions. Stafford has a minimal or non-existant property tax but does pay the rest of the property taxes for schools and Harris County - still a nice break over the rest of the Houston area probably 30-40%. I live near it in Houston and it's got it's gritty areas but you might find a nice house but if you're talking about an upscale $500,000 house area might be difficult unless you're buying a lot and custom building but then you're probably going to be in an area of houses worth half that - not a very good appreciation scenario. That empty lot is likely not too far from some warehouse operation. On the plus side, it's very close to Sugar Land and plenty of great shopping and a big restaurant row from The Fountains to First Colony Mall just outbound on the 59. Also great access to all of Houston from three freeways that cross nearby: the 59, Beltway 8, and the new Rt 90 (Main St.) freeway that nobody knows about yet so is very fast into the Medical Center.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,774 times
2.4 is low for most of Houston's suburbs. In Stafford you will still pay about that much for the school tax.
The appraisal district only knows what you finance.... you can also protest the taxes. In this climate they would lower the value.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
To me, Stafford is similar to Webster. They are both small fly-through towns butted up against Houston, and look a lot like Houston. Populations are only about 10k. Lots of people work there and live somewhere else. Strictly middle of the road areas otherwise -- Not great but not terrible.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,446 times
We looked at a house in Stafford, in an older neighborhood (Dove Country) and the total tax rate was 1.9%

-Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston