Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,615 times

Advertisements

I lived in and around Washington DC. Around Adams morgan, Silver Spring and now in Clarendon, Virginia. There's lots to do, lots of lively neighborhoods.

My beef is this:
1)traffic is crazy!! Especially of the 66
2) summer weather - hot and humid, winter - gets around freezing, not bad, but still cold
3) people are very status driven and it's been very hard here to make real friends because everyone lives far (see no. 1) and hard to break into established social groups

I'm curious about Houston. DC transplants, are you happy with your move? After moving to Houston, is the traffic better, the summer weather less bad than DC, and did you meet nicer people?
DC is great, but think time for a change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM

124 posts, read 700,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elifoos View Post
I lived in and around Washington DC. Around Adams morgan, Silver Spring and now in Clarendon, Virginia. There's lots to do, lots of lively neighborhoods.

My beef is this:
2) summer weather - hot and humid, winter - gets around freezing, not bad, but still cold
3) people are very status driven and it's been very hard here to make real friends because everyone lives far (see no. 1) and hard to break into established social groups

I'm curious about Houston. DC transplants, are you happy with your move? After moving to Houston, is the traffic better, the summer weather less bad than DC, and did you meet nicer people?
I was born and raised in Washington, DC. I relocated to Houston 3 years ago from Baltimore. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest, I will say Houston is about a 6 for me. I am happy here for the time being now that I am a mother. Eventually, I will relocate back to the northeast once my children get a little older. However, Houston has exceeded my expectations and my family loves it here. Of course there are things that I dislike about Houston, but there are things I dislike about DC too.

It's really difficult to compare Houston to DC because they are so different on so many levels. However, I will try my best to address your concerns.

Traffic is a nightmare here in Houston just like any other big city here in the USA. Just like 95 & 66 are parking lots in DC, so are the highways here in Houston. Traffic just comes with the territory of any major city. The only plus is that DC does have subway trains and Metro buses which connects to the suburban areas. Houston is lacking in public transportation (besides the light rail & the city buses) and it is not a walkable city like DC. However, Houston does have Park & Rides for those suburbanites who work in the city.

Weather- The hot & humidity that you feel in DC in July & August is multiplied 5 times here in Houston. I thought I knew what humidity was until I relocated here. The humidity here feels like a Rain Forest. Also, it stays hot here longer. The winters here are mild. No more shoveling snow and driving in ice. So, the trade off is mild winters, but scorching hot summers. The humidity here is probably the #1 thing that I hate the most, but Houston winters make up for that.

People- Well, I have met both extremely nice and not so nice people. The vibe here is quite different than the vibe in DC. The main difference is that people are more conservative here that is for sure. I will say that when I first relocated here and lived in Midtown, I was surrounded by more like-minded people. Now that I bought a house in Katy (suburb), it has been difficult to find like-minded people. I have found them, but I still find myself in the inner-loop of Houston city most of the time because I'm more of an artsy and urban type of person.

Again Houston and DC are very different. The only areas in Houston that comes anywhere close to an Adams Morgan are The Heights and Montrose. I will say if you are looking for that DC type of vibe, then avoid the suburbs of Houston. Sugar Land is probably the only suburb outside of Houston that reminds me of a DC suburb somewhat. The Heights, Montrose, Rice Village, Midtown, Museum District, and various areas within the inner loop of Houston city will definitely accomodate your intesrests. The suburbs here in Houston are not an extension of the city like DC suburbs (Alexandria, Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Silver Spring, Arlington, etc.) Also, the suburbs here have a totally different vibe.

I think you will like it here, but it depends on what your lifestyle is and what your interests are. It is always best to visit a place before you relocate. Visit Houston to see if you like it or not. Houston is not for everybody.

If you have any additional questions, please send me PM because I do not visit this board that often.

Last edited by Rose31; 12-21-2008 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,240,757 times
Rose31, I think you posted an admirable response to elifoos. As a native Texan and having lived 20 of my adult years in Houston and having played some in the DC area, your comparisons are good.

elifoos, you say DC is great, but think time for a change. That's a great attitude and will work well in Houston as the basis for creating a new adventure. Another feature that will work well in Houston.

Ask some questions of Houstonians in another post, make a plan and take a visit. We'll be glad to see ya.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,255,650 times
Quote:

My beef is this:

My roommate is from D.C. and at first he absolutely hated it here, but now he has fallen in love with it and didn't even want to return back to D.C. for Christmas break.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,062,533 times
Quote:

My beef is this:

I don't live in DC nor have I ever, but we live in Va and travel to Dc all the time and I did live in Houston for a couple of years, The Woodlands, to be exact. I can tell you that there is nothing like being in DC! The history, the culture, the expense....which is why Houston is going to be a nice change of pace! It's a large city with a lot to offer without the high cost of living! You can buy a nice home/condo/townhome for under $250K! That is unheard of in the DC area. Plus, the nightlife in Houston, to me, is much more exciting than what you find in DC. Plus, it does not get as cold in Houston during the winter months as it does in DC.
Good luck and enjoy your move!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston