Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 04:24 PM

30 posts, read 96,662 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Houston in the spring and am considering both Summerwood and Fall Creek as possible communities to settle down in. I will be working downtown (Texas Street). I will need to arrive at work around 8:30 and will leave around 6:30. Those of you who live in each of these communities and work downtown, how long does it take you to get from either FC or SW to downtown during these times?

I really like the price and areas of summerwood but am nervous about the added commute time. Any insight would definitely be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily4242 View Post
I am moving to Houston in the spring and am considering both Summerwood and Fall Creek as possible communities to settle down in. I will be working downtown (Texas Street). I will need to arrive at work around 8:30 and will leave around 6:30. Those of you who live in each of these communities and work downtown, how long does it take you to get from either FC or SW to downtown during these times?

I really like the price and areas of summerwood but am nervous about the added commute time. Any insight would definitely be helpful. Thanks!
you won't need to leave that early. 59 coming from that area has the best commute in the entire city. you can make it downtown in less than an hour. the only people who need to leave that early are commuters from Cypress, Katy, The Woodlands, and Sugar Land.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,218,011 times
Be aware that construction is started to begin on Beltway 8 (main thoroughfare) in June of next year and be completed in 2011 (you know how that goes). This could cause your commute to be a bit longer for a while, especially from Summerwood. Of course, once the construction is completed, your commute would be even faster.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:05 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,141,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
you won't need to leave that early. 59 coming from that area has the best commute in the entire city. you can make it downtown in less than an hour. the only people who need to leave that early are commuters from Cypress, Katy, The Woodlands, and Sugar Land.
I think the OP meant that he would be leaving work around 6:30pm.

Do you plan on making the commute in your own car, or will you be taking the metro bus commute? The bus leaves at specific times every day, and you would have easy access to the Eastex park and ride.

Otherwise, you could leave from Fall Creek by 7:30ish and make it there by 8:30 (some days earlier, some days later depending on accidents and such). If you left from Summerwood, I would only add 7-10 minutes to that commute.

I commute to the medical center 5 days a week, and I live on W. Lake Houston and 1960. So it's an additional 10 minutes for me to get to Summerwood. I leave my house at 6:30, and am usually clocking in to work by 7:45 or so.

Actually I have been taking the Beltway to the Hardy Toll Road (I have an EZ Tag), and exit Hardy street and take that into downtown in the mornings. It's an awesome commute! I usually take 59 on the way home.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 PM

I will be driving my own car most of the time so that is why commute times are very important.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
Quote:
I will be driving my own car most of the time so that is why commute times are very important.
Give yourself 45 minutes to an hour each way and you will be just fine. I doubt it will take you an hour but just to be safe.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,558,177 times
Quote:
We live in Fall Creek and my husband also works on Texas Street Downtown. We chose Fall Creek over Summerwood primarily because it had a better commute. The beltway is really backed up in the morning and evening during rush hours. Plan on 20 to 30 minutes from FC to downtown. Add about 15-20 minutes for Summerwood. If you head home at 6:30, you will have no issues. Summerwood will take an additional 10-15 mintues. Both are great communities. Eagle Springs is similar and also worth a look. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the info! I have heard that some people in Summerwood take the Beltway or Beaumont Hwy down to 1-10 and in that way - this is the same route Mapquest suggests...any thoughts?

Also, what kind of delays are we looking at from Summerwood to the 59 once construction starts on the beltway?

Old 12-13-2008, 02:45 PM

Also, does anyone have any insight on builders in Summerwood?

Old 12-13-2008, 03:42 PM

44 posts, read 153,150 times
Default FC Commute to downtown

When we moved here in the summer I could get from my house in Fall Creek to sitting at my desk in South downtown in just under a half hour. Now, it takes about 40-45 minutes. For a much less stressful commute, I take the bus which is about a 40 minute round trip from my house to work. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston