Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:10 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,849,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes it would have. It is most unlikely Houston would have had the growth & vitality we've exhibited if zoning had passed. It's unlikely our housing prices would have remained as stable as they have if zoning had passed. Which would have led to a housing bubble, then a collapse. Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas & Atlanta are remarkably similar Sun Belt cities, showing tremendous growth over the last ten years. Of the four, only Houston has not seen housing prices collapse. Of the four, only Houston has no zoning.

Can you imagine the back-room politics this city would suffer thru if zoning comes to pass?
How so?

Austin and Dallas have zoning. They're not having problems with a housing bubble.

Nor is Sugar Land, which is immensely popular as far as the real estate market is concerned -- partially because it does have formal zoning and lots of building regulations. This is a factor for a lot of people in choosing where they want to live, believe it or not. And look at all the companies that have moved to Sugar Land (including some Houston companies)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
How so?

Austin and Dallas have zoning. They're not having problems with a housing bubble.

Nor is Sugar Land, which is immensely popular as far as the real estate market is concerned -- partially because it does have formal zoning and lots of building regulations. This is a factor for a lot of people in choosing where they want to live, believe it or not. And look at all the companies that have moved to Sugar Land (including some Houston companies)...
Houston DOES have zoning. Seriously, people need to get over the stereotype that Houston doesn't have zoning. We don't have zoning in the sense that we dictate what you build, instead we say you can build but within a set a parameters.

If you look at statistics then Houston does do better overall in growth and job growth. Houston's zoning does advantage in some places and disadvantages in others.

I just would say Houston is more flexible to buyers and developers needs.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:45 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,689,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Houston DOES have zoning. Seriously, people need to get over the stereotype that Houston doesn't have zoning. We don't have zoning in the sense that we dictate what you build, instead we say you can build but within a set a parameters.

If you look at statistics then Houston does do better overall in growth and job growth. Houston's zoning does advantage in some places and disadvantages in others.

I just would say Houston is more flexible to buyers and developers needs.
And I would say the time is over for Houston to keep thinking that way. It sounds so desperate-to-keep-people-moving-here-after-the-80's-oil-bust. Time's over for that, and for Houston to start prioritizing quality of life for its citizens, not to keep catering to business interests and developers at the expense of same. Houston has some very minimal land-use regulations, but no actual zoning ordinance is on the books.

USATODAY.com - Houston: A city without zoning

The dead zone - Houston, Texas residents vote against zoning ordinance | Reason | Find Articles at BNET

Chron.com | News, search and shopping from the Houston Chronicle

Houston Strategies: Reason says non-zoning helps Houston weather the housing storm

Zoning Without Zoning | Planetizen

2035 Regional Transportation Plan

Last edited by houstoner; 12-06-2008 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
Ashby high-rise developers re-file plan for 23 stories of luxury rentals - Your Houston News: News:

Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 PM

789 posts, read 1,528,591 times
Oh, oh, oh. This should be good. I saw the plans for this high-rise and they are awful. I have been seeing the signs for the most part of a year now. Had no idea what it was about, and didn't look it up. But what I saw, was a really bad plan, for a certain type of area. I'm not a Nimby, but even I think it's crazy. The size difference is ridiculous.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,314,542 times
NIMBY please I hope they build it I love to make snobs upset ohh my sunlight the sun is up 13-14 hours a day please get off the high horse.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,000 times
i get a little bit of a thrill too watching the extremely well off, or extremely struggling in debt, fever and froth at the idea of "evil developers" building something in their neck of the woods and give a hoot when the same people do much worse elsewhere.

these type of developments are on the narrow streets of the museum district already. yeah traffic is bad, traffic is already bad in West U.

does the world need more expensive apartments that look like... well apartments? probably not in Houston. but im a sure there are quite a few investment bankers and developers who will be its neighbors. they at least have to understand

Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
Weren't they going to be condos before? They shot their foot of by banning the condos, now they have to deal with renters.

Either way, it's a bit of an odd area to have a high rise apartment house. <shrug>

Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,314,542 times
Its Houston thats the spirit of the city, building on what they say cant be done or should'nt, I live at the medical center I actually enjoy the skyline of it especially sunset and then the neon lights at night.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,574,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Weren't they going to be condos before? They shot their foot of by banning the condos, now they have to deal with renters.
The condo market is dead. And even if they were condos, some would be occupied by renters.

There's long been an apartment complex at this site anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston