Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,292,370 times

Advertisements

Houston only occasionally smells bad and that's usually in the summer when the humidity is high but its no worse than Los Angeles or any big city.

the heat, i hate the heat but it pays off for a very warm/mild climate in the winter , fall, and spring which is pleasant the other 8 months out of the year. People tend to forget that Houston has good weather the majority of the time after the 3 months of summertime heat.

All in all, Houston is larger than Phoenix and more urban, thanks to the strides they've made in developing inside of the loop( downtown, TMC, Galleria come to mind). Also add in the access to the beach, Kemah Boardwalk, Memorial City, The Woodlands, Kingwood, Cypress, Sugarland, Pearland areas as additional areas within the metro to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 12:11 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,091,229 times
After spending all of my life in East, Southeast, & North Texas I couldn't imagine living in a treeless dessert city like Phoenix.

Is there any kind of shade to shield you from the 110 degree dry summer heat other than an over grown scrub brush?

Old 01-18-2009, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,077 times
1. The best parts of Houston, are not ANYWHERE near downtown Houston. If you can see those tall buildings, then run far, far away.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:10 PM

20,546 posts, read 33,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissvalkyrie View Post
1. The best parts of Houston, are not ANYWHERE near downtown Houston. If you can see those tall buildings, then run far, far away.
Typical suburban post.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 PM

569 posts, read 1,085,484 times
Having worked in Phoenix for several weeks at the peak of the summer, I can make this analogy on heat:

Going outside in Phoenix feels like opening an oven while going outside in Houston (peak of summer) feels like entering a sauna. Either way, we can be thankful for air conditioning :-). When I was working in Phoenix, it seemed like it was still hot at night. In Houston it may cool off a bit so runners are able to run at night and early morning. The bright side: humidity is great for skin :-). Definitely a LOT more green here!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 PM

490 posts, read 1,437,804 times
1. People have said that the city smells bad? Is this true? and are there areas that it doesnt?
Houston does not smell
2. Cockroaches! I've heard horror stories about giant flying roaches there? How bad is it? And can you spray for them?
I live in the inner loop and do not have a problem with roaches
3. The beach is crappy...How nice is the beach in Galveston? Can you swim in the water or is it too polluted?
Galveston got severly damaged in IKE...so you may not be hitting the beach anytime soon
4. Killer humidity...Obviously it's more humid than Phoenix, just about every place is, but is the humidity comparable to like Florida in the Summer or is it worse?
Houston weather is pretty good except for the summer...Spring is awesome, Fall begins hot and then becomes cooler and nice...Winter is mild and short...summer is HOTTTTTT and HUMID and sucks
5. What are some nice/safe areas for a SWF to live that are near shopping, dining, nightlife that I can find a 1 bed apt for under $800.
Heights, Montrose, Midtown, inner loop...
6. Safety is a huge concern, but if possible, I'd like to be close to the action, (wherever that may be), in a more historic or established neighborhood. Does such a place exsist?
Montrose/Heights

Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,034,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissvalkyrie View Post
Uhhh. No. Houston has a nice downtown, many commercials are shot there. Proximate is midtown where a number of single folks live for the rates you discuss. Nice area.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM

118 posts, read 315,439 times
Interesting comments ,especially the oven-sauna characterisation...

Humidity is definitely good for the skin,as for the air pollution ,it can only be reduced,so living in Hou can only get better...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,494,985 times
I didn't do Phoenix-Houston but did move to H-town from the Inland Empire of SoCal with similar dry desert climate. When I moved to Houston, my frequent nose-bleeds immediately stopped. My allergies also improved greatly from less dust being in the air.

Smell? Not bad unless down-wind (east) of ship-channel or Toxic City (Texas City) refineries. Very poor housing stock in those areas. You won't be living anywhere close.

Bugs? Never bothered me at all. You see a big tree roach maybe once every two years. Water bugs (much smaller) are a problem only if you have leaky pipes under your sink. Normal little brown roaches won't be a problem if you use roach proof (boric acid) every 3 or 4 years, unless you let you house be a pig stye with food laying around on the floor.

You won't get a GREAT apartment in desireable and fun neighborhoods inside the loop (MidTown, Montrose, The Heights) but you could get a small decent one or split a nice big 2-bedroom with a room-mate in those areas.

Those comments about the international/cosmopolitan'ness of Houston are dead on - I lived in SoCal for 4years and I think that Houston is even more worldly than LA. LA is strong on Asia and Mexico, period. Houston , with the oil industry, it's central location on the NA continent E/W on the "South Coast" gives it large communities of not only Mexicans and Asians but all the Central and South Americans, Europeans, Indian/Pakis, Africans, Caribbeans, you name it ... it's sort of a mini-NY. Also, it's not just illegal alien laborer types - it's Nigerian petroleum engineers, Chinese physicists, Kazakh geologists, Iranian medical researchers - the best and brightest minds from around the world.

I'd personally never go back to the desert, I love the greenbelts, bayous, Gulf. Paradoxically the Gulf at Galveston is visually much uglier than the LA and OC beaches because of the silt and lack of surrounding hills but it's much much more swimmable (85-90d in Summer, just like a warm jacuzzi!) and much better fishing.

Only drawback is June-August when the sun is up, well ... just be warned to stay inside and make sure your car A/C doesn't break down. Nights usually cool down to room temperature (75 tops) and you can do your jogging then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: