Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:39 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,619 times

Advertisements

I relocated to Houston and its not treating me so well. I'm here 2 weeks and already had bad experiences with roommates. Some show different pics of the house and and rooms and when you get there they are disgusting. Can't find a job and really at my end. I've been staying from hotel to another. I'm just getting sick over this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of trying Austin or TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
I'm not sure what kind of job you are looking at, but you might just want to find a part time job while you get your stuff together and look for something less temporary. If you give more details, I could probably give you more specific advice.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:54 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Before leaving Tx. and relocating to Tn., I'd be sure to check out their recent unemployment rates. It looks like the economy in Tn. is becoming quite depressed.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I posted the email of my landlord for you to contact in another thread and he's cheaper than a hotel. Job market seemed to go so bad after Oct 15th - Craigslist listing went down so much.

Ain't Ross hiring for retail?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:08 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Austin isn't easier than Houston. It just takes some time to find a place to live and land a job.

Try WorkinRetail.com for a job to earn quick cash to help you survive until you find something better.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
I relocated to Houston and its not treating me so well. I'm here 2 weeks and already had bad experiences with roommates. Some show different pics of the house and and rooms and when you get there they are disgusting. Can't find a job and really at my end. I've been staying from hotel to another. I'm just getting sick over this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of trying Austin or TN.

You have to be kidding. First of all, you have not been here two weeks. You were still in NJ as of the 5th judging from your posts. Today is the 16th. You're giving Houston what--exactly 10 days--only 5 of which are actual business days--to judge a job and housing market? Now you're considering running off to Knoxville (?!?!?) or Austin?

I don't think this is so much a "Houston" problem. No offense, but this sounds like a planning problem.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I posted the email of my landlord for you to contact in another thread and he's cheaper than a hotel. Job market seemed to go so bad after Oct 15th - Craigslist listing went down so much.

Ain't Ross hiring for retail?

The apartments that i'm finding want you to have 3-6 months rent in the bank without a job. The longer i'm living in hotels that money is diminishing every day, and I don't want to sign a 12 mth lease without steady work.
Retail isn't cutting it at min wage, i'm needing 19+ to stay afloat here

Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,255 times
1) If you can't make it in Houston, no big city is going to be right for you.

2) Why did you move here if you had no idea what you were doing? No offense.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
You have to be kidding. First of all, you have not been here two weeks. You were still in NJ as of the 5th judging from your posts. Today is the 16th. You're giving Houston what--exactly 10 days--only 5 of which are actual business days--to judge a job and housing market? Now you're considering running off to Knoxville (?!?!?) or Austin?

I don't think this is so much a "Houston" problem. No offense, but this sounds like a planning problem.

No offense taken, but the real problem here is the amount of people that lie and falsify their ads for rooms to rent and jobs. When I was in NJ for weeks i've been speaking to recruiters and roommates on multiple websites and on the phone. What they tell you prior to coming is different to actually being here and seeing recruiters will tell you anything to get you in there and make their numbers. I've been here a week, and interviewed with about 12 agencies and although their ads say they have jobs and post jobs, when you get there, nothing. I've dealt with 2 people for rooms, one had fake pics of his place and says he confused his home and his rental property but I don't believe that anyone would rent something out nicer then what they live in and purposely search view and post multiple pics...I can see making that mistake once but not 6 times. The other woman said she had things and didn't and ontop of that she rented her rooms out and slept on the couch but still needed access to both rental rooms b/c that's where her clothes were kept. Its just if my week is going this way and worse every day, I can't afford to stay here any longer.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
1) If you can't make it in Houston, no big city is going to be right for you.

2) Why did you move here if you had no idea what you were doing? No offense.

I went by the words of recruiters and renters, etc. NY is a bigger city then Houston and I've survived their all my life, but the job market recently is hit hard up there and the recruiters and people on websites like this have said so far the bad economy has not impacted Houston. Its definitely my fault for relying on others before seeing it myself. And I never saw so many ghetto areas. Yes there are beautiful ones as well, but it seems like more slums then not so. Say what you want about NY and NJ and pull all the stats you want, it at least looks better where I lived and all around there. The City too. In NJ and NY there are requirements to keep up with your property or you are fined, etc, etc. Doesn't seem like that's the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston