Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times

Advertisements

Ever since they opened up the "new" I10, I've seen an unusually high number of police officers writing tickets, the roads are so open now, it seems everyone goes over the posted limit, except me of course.

I've seen so many police cars congregated in the dirt parking lot by the Park n Ride on HWY 6 and I10, it seems they have ticket parties there, I'm not kidding. It's a tag team event, I see the officers with the radar guns, and other officers with the flags pulling so many people over.

It's sort of amusing, and disturbing at the same time. Amusing because I know they are present, though you really can't see them on the approach. I don't speed (at that spot), and there is always someone behind me thinking I must be a moron for driving slow, and at least two times, I've seen the guy who sped around me get pulled over. Call me a jerk, but I think it's kind of amusing, it's like seeing a gecko catch a moth on the windows at night.

I noticed the speed limit was raised to 50MPH last week, and guess what, I don't see the HPD parties anymore. This tells me it was revenue generating, not safety related, but that's just my opinion.

So, I've always wondered what the City of Houston Police Department does when they issue someone a ticket, and the person decides he/she is going to contest it. A co-worker has had 5 speeding tickets in the last few years, and he was bragging about how his attorney has always won.

I know one tactic is to reschedule the heck out of a case, but does that really work? Does not the court and the HPD work together to make sure the city gets their revenue, or do so many people really just do the default, and pay the ticket? What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 07:16 AM

492 posts, read 1,150,104 times
If one defaults on a ticket, a warrant is then issued. Next time one is stopped, one gets a trip to the Mykawa jail. There you will get $50 a night credit towards your unpaid bill. As far as resets, Generally, you get two resets. The first is to try your case in front of a judge. The second in front of a jury. (in many instances the prosecutor will tell you to bring an attorney for the jury trial). Some cops will show up at every court date, but some will not. A lot has to do with luck.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
I did one of those cheapo Lawyer things for $75. They reschedule it and you have to show up something like 6 months later. I don't know if the rescheduling is part of their strategy or not. I have done this on two tickets more recently than I care to admit. It was a giant hassle that required you to be down there early in the morning and be there most of the day. I did get both dismissed though.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,185 times
The speed limit on I-10 is 50MPH? Shouldn't it be 75?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
The speed limit on I-10 is 50MPH? Shouldn't it be 75?
'Sorry, my fault, I was referring to the service lanes, not the freeway main lanes. Also, the speed limit is 65 on the main lanes, but be careful, there is a trap right after either Eldridge, or Dairy Ashford I think, it drops to 55, but then is 65 again by the Beltway!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
'Sorry, my fault, I was referring to the service lanes, not the freeway main lanes. Also, the speed limit is 65 on the main lanes, but be careful, there is a trap right after either Eldridge, or Dairy Ashford I think, it drops to 55, but then is 65 again by the Beltway!
Equally absurd. If ya'll remember, the 65mph limit is an environmental regulation, not a safety regulation. Technically not even a legal way to determine a speed limit in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston