Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:43 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,071,642 times

Advertisements

Can any area experts such as real estate investors, realtors or area residents with inside connections tell me about this specific area?

Subdivisions would be Orchard Lakes, Old Orchard, Chelsea Harbor, Shiloh Lake Estates. These are on the southern portion of FM 1464 zoned to Austin High School (which I understand to be a great school). There are also several smaller subdivisions off Old Richmond Rd. Of course the newest development would be Aliana.

Then you've got Nick's Italian, Texas Safari Ranch, and not much else from what I can see.

I realize the northern portion of FM 1464 near the Westpark Toll isn't so great and zoned to Bush High (which I understand to be not so good). I'm not interested in that portion; only the areas around Aliana and south of it.

What about the open land on both sides of the road north of Cheslea Harbor and south of Old Orchard/Orchard Lakes? Ideas of what will happen with that? What about the prisons in the area? I heard one or more of them are going to move? Is there truth to this?

What about New Territory and Telfair directly to the south; will the establishment of a new high school in Telfair cause a bunch of rezoning of the New Territory students out of Austin High? How do you see this impacting Austin High?

How do you see this area 10 years down the road?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 AM

587 posts, read 1,136,924 times
if you didnt know, all of that open land belongs to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, as farming land, and has a prison right off the grand parkway......I know the city of Sugarland has been negioating to purchase the rest of the prison land, but that portion has not been offered for sale yet. Telfair is sitting on former prison land, and I think that makes the area more complete.

I know that the only place that you can really go and get groceries are at the walmart on hwy6/hwy 90, or you will have to head back into the Houston portion of Fort Bend County to shop at Kroger on Bissonnett/Hwy 6. That is proving to be a big issue with everyone in the area.

I think it will boil down to what happens in the future with the prison land. Sugarland wants to expand its airport, and they want to remove the potential scare threat of the prison area also.....

Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,866,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post

I know that the only place that you can really go and get groceries are at the walmart on hwy6/hwy 90, or you will have to head back into the Houston portion of Fort Bend County to shop at Kroger on Bissonnett/Hwy 6. That is proving to be a big issue with everyone in the area.
There's a big HEB on Hwy 59 & Grand Pkwy, and the Whole Foods at Hwy 59 & Hwy 6 (along with Sugar Land town center and everything else in that area).

Those existing subdivisions mentioned on 1464 are only about 4 miles from SL town center, so I don't know why people would feel their only shopping options are up in the Houston portion of Fort Bend. It just feels like it's far away from Hwy 6 / 59 because there's a whole lot of nothing to look at on the drive (the farmland you mention).

Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 PM

530 posts, read 2,039,992 times
Believe me, if you are wishing for the farm land to be developed, you're pretty ignorant of the 15 traffic signals that will go in and make your 5 minute drive turn into a 20 minute drive. Pray they keep it prison/farm land.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM

182 posts, read 769,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
Obviously you havn't been to the Randalls on New Territory Blvd @ Grand Parkway. That's considerably closer to 1464 than Wal-Mart or HEB.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,595,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
What about New Territory and Telfair directly to the south; will the establishment of a new high school in Telfair cause a bunch of rezoning of the New Territory students out of Austin High? How do you see this impacting Austin High?
I believe the only areas that will be unaffected by rezoining in and out of the "fine three" (Clements, Austin, Dulles) is Meadows Place and First Colony. Meadows will likely never be rezoned out of Dulles and First Colony will experience some Clements/Dulles reshuffling. I would be a little concerned about some areas in Telfair being rezoned to Bush, which in my opinion is tied for last with Willowridge as far as FB ISD high school quality goes. One good thing is the fact that parents in New Territory are pretty vocal. They will likely either make sure their children stay at Austin or go to the new Telfair high school. With that said, it's hard to predict.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,847,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
One good thing is the fact that parents in New Territory are pretty vocal. They will likely either make sure their children stay at Austin or go to the new Telfair high school.
Likely true. Some of the parents in New Territory are crazed, in my opinion. A handful of them are hassling my daughter's preschool teacher because they don't think their 3 year old children are getting enough homework. I can only imagine how vocal these parents will be by the time their children are in high school.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 PM

759 posts, read 3,189,442 times
TELFAIR will not be zoned to Bush...not now not ever...If it does I am sure myself and the folks in telfair will have something to say and we will do what it takes to get rid of the POS board that rezoned our area to a school that is 3 times as far away as Clements. People in Telfair did not pay 300K to $1.5M+ to be zoned to "Convict" High....i mean Bush HS Sorry i am not PC but I say it like it is take a look at the student body. they are not there for an education and don't want to be educated.

If a new HS is not built in Telfair there maybe some zoning to Clements as Kempner is already beyond it's built capacity by 15% and the population around that area is growing with all the apartments and houses being built there. Bush HS will also increase because of grand mission and the other apartment complexes along WPT.

Quote:
I believe the only areas that will be unaffected by rezoining in and out of the "fine three" (Clements, Austin, Dulles) is Meadows Place and First Colony. Meadows will likely never be rezoned out of Dulles and First Colony will experience some Clements/Dulles reshuffling. I would be a little concerned about some areas in Telfair being rezoned to Bush, which in my opinion is tied for last with Willowridge as far as FB ISD high school quality goes. One good thing is the fact that parents in New Territory are pretty vocal. They will likely either make sure their children stay at Austin or go to the new Telfair high school. With that said, it's hard to predict.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,595,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
TELFAIR will not be zoned to Bush...not now not ever...If it does I am sure myself and the folks in telfair will have something to say and we will do what it takes to get rid of the POS board that rezoned our area to a school that is 3 times as far away as Clements. People in Telfair did not pay 300K to $1.5M+ to be zoned to "Convict" High....i mean Bush HS Sorry i am not PC but I say it like it is take a look at the student body. they are not there for an education and don't want to be educated.

If a new HS is not built in Telfair there maybe some zoning to Clements as Kempner is already beyond it's built capacity by 15% and the population around that area is growing with all the apartments and houses being built there. Bush HS will also increase because of grand mission and the other apartment complexes along WPT.
Me thinks you don't know FBISD too well There is a growing P.C. crowd that wants the socieo-economic groups to mix within the high schools. But I hear ya. We are looking at Meadows because it's very affordable and has never been zoned out of Dulles. We would be none to happy if they were zoned to Kempner. And Kempner isn't really all that bad. But with that said BE VOCAL ANYWAYS!!!! I'll be right there with you.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM

759 posts, read 3,189,442 times
PC is what ruined America. I wish they would stay out of Sugar Land and stay in HISD and Alief.

It doesn't work mixing the future Convicts of America with future Leaders of America. classroom will be too disruptive. I will go the private school route, just like many of my neighbors are doing now because they are not too happy that Telfair is currently zoned to Kempner until a new HS is built.

We could even have a shuttle to St. John's or Kincaid every morning. i still hear very good things about the honor roll school down the street too.

Quote:
Me thinks you don't know FBISD too well There is a growing P.C. crowd that wants the socieo-economic groups to mix within the high schools. But I hear ya. We are looking at Meadows because it's very affordable and has never been zoned out of Dulles. We would be none to happy if they were zoned to Kempner. And Kempner isn't really all that bad. But with that said BE VOCAL ANYWAYS!!!! I'll be right there with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston