Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your stance on gay rights?
Full equality - marriage and all 10 52.63%
Civil unions - equivalent to marriage but another name 4 21.05%
Something less than civil unions 2 10.53%
No rights at all 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
If you live in the burbs do NOT respond. Only those who live in the ***city limits**** respond.
Quote:
Huh? this is the internet, not the government. Nobody has a "right' to anything.

This is a poll for Houston, not harris county. I explicitly only want to see what Houston residents think, not what people in sugarland, pasadena, clear lake, etc. think.

Why don't you get that?

Okay, well, then by your standards, if this is the internet, and nobody has a right to anything, then you have no right to say who can and can't vote in your poll.

Right? I'm not trying to pick a fight, just don't understand your methods.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:53 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,713 times
Now GearJammer, who does not live in the state of Texas, but livesin Colorado, decided to vote for the fourth option.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:53 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,463 times
crap. i'm not sure if i can vote. maybe you should remove my count too. sorry

Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Okay, well, then by your standards, if this is the internet, and nobody has a right to anything, then you have no right to say who can and can't vote in your poll.

Right? I'm not trying to pick a fight, just don't understand your methods.
But under the rules of the forum that have been agreed upon I do, and I reported your post.

The point is what would happen if the CITY proposed a referendum on gay rights. Do you not realize that people in the burbs would not be involved in that, nor should they be? Don't you realize that every day political scientists poll particular units within states to see how people trend? The point is to isolate variables, etc.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm not trying to be an arse, it's just frustrating when people don't get simple points and try to skate around the purpose of something.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times
You reported my post? *lol* Okay...um...should I be scared?

I understand what you are saying--you don't have to be so rude. Aren't you new here? Flies and honey, baby.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:05 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Huh? this is the internet, not the government. Nobody has a "right' to anything.

This is a poll for Houston, not harris county. I explicitly only want to see what Houston residents think, not what people in sugarland, pasadena, clear lake, etc. think.

Why don't you get that?
What I don't get is how you don't know that Clear Lake is part of Houston city limits.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:05 PM

136 posts, read 894,315 times
I voted before I read the first post so you should probably delete mine too as I don't even live in the US. I only visit this part of the forum because I lived in Houston area for 7 years. My bad.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,864,340 times
full equality

people should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else, and gay marriage does not harm anyone.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Sorry Mom2Feebs I'll be nicer

So why don't you support full equality? Just curious?

Why don't people generally accept this principle: So long as your actions don't harm others, you are free to do them?

The only argument against gay marriage would be a public health argument because, at least for men (though note women/women sex is actually safer) certain diseases are more readily spread.
But denying marriage only encourage more promiscuous activity, etc. So that argument falls on its face. Marriage would presumably lessen disease transfer because people would face social opprobrium by engaging in sex outside the marriage.

Marriage is a conservative institution, and I frankly don't understand why so many conservatives don't want to incentivize gays entering long term committed relationships. Conservatives are so good (and I agree with them) on talking about incentives when it comes to welfare, gun rights, etc. etc., but on gay rights they totally drop the ball.

Ironically, it is conservatives who end up "undermining" marriage because we have a huge subset of people outside the institution, so they are free to do whatever they want sexually without the traditional opprobrium attached to it.

Not to mention, having a liberal and tolerant climate attracts businesses because highly qualified, educated professionals go for quality of life stuff and cities that are progressive on gay rights do a better job attracting those people.

Also, how do intersexed people (XXY males for instance) fit into the theory against gay rights? Are these people men or women? Are they unable to marry anyone? That seems crazy.

There are more intersexed than most people realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: