Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 AM

43 posts, read 227,924 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that the Houston downtown skyline at night isn't lit up like it use to be? Its somewhat disappointing, if you ask me. We have a collection of beautiful, tall buildings that now seem to just blend in with the night sky once it becomes dark. Also, did anyone here notice that they took the blue light off the Continental Airlines building? Its now white. Whats up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 AM

182 posts, read 768,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN77008 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the Houston downtown skyline at night isn't lit up like it use to be? Its somewhat disappointing, if you ask me. We have a collection of beautiful, tall buildings that now seem to just blend in with the night sky once it becomes dark. Also, did anyone here notice that they took the blue light off the Continental Airlines building? Its now white. Whats up with that?
Could just be damage from Ike. Depending on what side you're on a lot of the windows are still plywood. I'm sure a number of building lights were also taken out.

Or maybe everyone's stock price has dropped so far they're actually trying to save a buck or two on electricity. Who knows.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
Moderator cut: off-topic Christmas is coming and it should change, I do like the cont airlines building that looks like a space ship taking off at night.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-11-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 08:21 PM

43 posts, read 227,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
Could just be damage from Ike. Depending on what side you're on a lot of the windows are still plywood. I'm sure a number of building lights were also taken out.

Or maybe everyone's stock price has dropped so far they're actually trying to save a buck or two on electricity. Who knows.

Yeah, true I know Ike took out some lighting, but still even before Ike it just seems like we don't really play up this city like we should. I mean, we lack gorgeous beaches and scenic mountains so the skyline is our big asset and we should exploit it a little more.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Working in one of those hi-rises I can tell you that the truth is that it is actually their way of conserving energy and funds. Now this statement I am not positive on but I believe they responded to a request from the Mayor's office to conserve. Once a few office bldgs were convinced to turn off the lights, it didn't take much for the others to get the message and follow through as well.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Houston never has had an impressive night skyline like its flashier little sister to the north. Someone mentioned it was because of energy conservation which might partly be true, but there are ways now to effectively light structures while still staying "green". The problem though is getting building owners to spend more up front so they can save in the long run.

Kind of ironic if you ask me considering Houston is supposed to be the "Energy Capital of the World"

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-10-2008 at 10:23 PM..

Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston never has had an impressive night skyline like its flashier little sister to the north. Someone mentioned it was because of energy conservation which might partly be true, but there are ways now to effectively light structures while still staying "green". The problem though is getting building owners to spend more up front so they can save in the long run.

Kind of ironic if you ask me considering Houston is supposed to be the "Energy Capital of the World"
Apparently Mayor White aspires for Houston to be the Energy Conservation Capital of the World.

City of Houston eGovernment Center (http://www.houstontx.gov/mayor/press/20071004.html - broken link)

http://www.togethergreen.org/NewsItem.aspx?newsItemID=502 (broken link)

Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Apparently Mayor White aspires for Houston to be the Energy Conservation Capital of the World.

City of Houston eGovernment Center (http://www.houstontx.gov/mayor/press/20071004.html - broken link)

http://www.togethergreen.org/NewsItem.aspx?newsItemID=502 (broken link)
They're talking about traffic lights which falls under the city. Most downtown buildings are owned by individuals or corporations so its really up to them not the city except for things like signage which I believe Houston has some kind of stupid law stating that building signs can only be so many feet high. It doesn't really make sense though because the freeways are littered with them.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
They're talking about traffic lights which falls under the city. Most downtown buildings are owned by individuals or corporations so its really up to them not the city except for things like signage which I believe Houston has some kind of stupid law stating that building signs can only be so many feet high. It doesn't really make sense though because the freeways are littered with them.
That's just one of the things they're doing to conserve energy. The mayor has issued requests to all city offices asking employees to turn off lights in restrooms and such when not in use, and both articles state he's asked the business community to follow suit. It's the most plausible explanation we've got so far as to why the skyline isn't lit up at night.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
That's just one of the things they're doing to conserve energy. The mayor has issued requests to all city offices asking employees to turn off lights in restrooms and such when not in use, and both articles state he's asked the business community to follow suit. It's the most plausible explanation we've got so far as to why the skyline isn't lit up at night.
This isn't just a recent phenomenon for Houston...

Wedge hasn't been fully outlined green in over 8 years now & neither has Heritage Plaza's "Eagle". Rarely on occasion will you ever see Bank of America's spires or Continental Center's blue logo on. Wells Fargo Plaza is kinda off & on at times too.

Texas Medical Center is the best looking Houston skyline at night IMO.

The yellow Christmas light theme on Houston buildings year round is lame & very unimaginative. So much more could be done to make them really stand out at night if only Houston would take note from cities like LA, Dallas, ATL, & Miami...

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-11-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston