Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 14,519 times

Advertisements

Both communities are really nice. Do you carpool to work? If so, a commute on the HOV lanes will get you to downtown in about 30-40 minutes.
Telfair is considered a high-end community. And the home prices reflect that. Katy Schools are top notch and Cinco Ranch is pretty established when compared to Telfair. If this were a poll, I would vote for Telfair.

-Rock Klam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 02:42 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,869,540 times
Cinco Ranch if you want a larger community with a greater span of price ranges, work in the Energy Corridor or otherwise need to be near the west side.

Telfair if you want a smaller community, no starter homes, and to live in a city with a town center district, zoning & signage restrictions (Sugar Land).

Old 11-08-2008, 03:10 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,946,376 times
Cinco has zoning and signage restrictions too...

Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 PM

28 posts, read 122,638 times
Can somebody compare the schools for Telfair and Cinco Ranch?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 PM

166 posts, read 900,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter2008 View Post
Definitely Cinco Ranch has better schools. Katy ISD is probably the best school district in all of TX, although Fort Bend isn't too bad. Depending on where you live in Cinco, you can end up going to either Seven Lakes or Cinco Ranch high schools. Seven Lakes is definitely newer and nicer... you would almost mistake it for a college campus. Academically, they are both top notch. Also, there are nice communities around Cinco that are just as nice if not better: Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, Avalon at Seven Meadows, and various Kelliwood subdivisions.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM

759 posts, read 3,190,095 times
Telfair has a really good top rated elem. & middle schools. The new elementary...only People in Telfair go to this school. The Middle School is also one of the best in the area if not the best based on test scores, and only New Territory and Telfair students go there. The HS is not that good, but Telfair will have a New HS in a few years, since there is land set aside for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter2008 View Post

Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 PM

50 posts, read 186,346 times
Is there any information available on the web or elsewhere regarding the land that is set aside for the future telfair high school?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,785,469 times
They are both great Newland communities zoned to good schools(not like that really matters, that's another story) but the one thing Telfair has over Cinco is it's in a better area. Sugarland is a better area than Katy period, there's really no comparison if you look at Zoning, Taxes, Schools(Ft. Bend ISD), Diversity, Home Values, ect.... I could go on and on, you get the point. Now Katy isn't chopped liver, but it's just a step down from Sugarland(this coming from a Katy resident).

Yes Katy have two freeways, but who wants to pay money just to get stuck in traffic? Westpark is a joke and when they start charging for the toll lanes on I-10 that will be a bigger joke. I'll take the "FREE" 59 anyday.

Buying in Sugarland seems to be a can't lose investment, can't say the same for Katy if the energy sector takes a dump.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 AM

166 posts, read 900,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Sugarland is a better area than Katy period, there's really no comparison if you look at Zoning, Taxes, Schools(Ft. Bend ISD), Diversity, Home Values, ect.... I could go on and on, you get the point. Now Katy isn't chopped liver, but it's just a step down from Sugarland(this coming from a Katy resident).

Buying in Sugarland seems to be a can't lose investment, can't say the same for Katy if the energy sector takes a dump.
As a current Katy resident and someone who lived in Sugar Land as kid growing up in the eighties, I do agree with USC619 on that Sugar Land would be considered more prestigious and better planned in terms of zoning. But in terms of overall school district (Katy ISD vs Ft Bend ISD), I gotta say Katy wins. My wife's a school teacher and we currently have a toddler and will probably have more, so public school was our top priority. I think the main reason Sugar Land is now considered so prestigious over Katy is that Sugar Land had a head start in getting developed. I remember living in First Colony back in the eighties in what was considered middle of nowhere. Back then most of the so called Katy area was all rice fields, farms and ranches. I think Katy will catch up in terms of prestige... look at some of the $1million+ neighborhoods in Cinco Ranch, Avalon at Seven Meadows, Lakeforest of Kelliwood, and now Kickerillo is going to build $1mill+ homes in Cross Creek. People with money are definitely buying out here in Katy.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:12 PM

967 posts, read 2,616,292 times
This is purely hearsay, but we just had our home in Cinco appraised for a refinance. The appraiser is from Fulshear, and kinda talked shop while he was here. He thinks that the SugarLand area has been overpriced and due to "correct"... on the other hand, Cinco continues to have growth.

His words, not mine. But let me tell you this... we built our home new in Cinco SW closed July '07 and paid $221,900 for 2730 sq ft. Our home just appraised at $254,000. Not bad, considering the economy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratfordspartans View Post
As a current Katy resident and someone who lived in Sugar Land as kid growing up in the eighties, I do agree with USC619 on that Sugar Land would be considered more prestigious and better planned in terms of zoning. But in terms of overall school district (Katy ISD vs Ft Bend ISD), I gotta say Katy wins. My wife's a school teacher and we currently have a toddler and will probably have more, so public school was our top priority. I think the main reason Sugar Land is now considered so prestigious over Katy is that Sugar Land had a head start in getting developed. I remember living in First Colony back in the eighties in what was considered middle of nowhere. Back then most of the so called Katy area was all rice fields, farms and ranches. I think Katy will catch up in terms of prestige... look at some of the $1million+ neighborhoods in Cinco Ranch, Avalon at Seven Meadows, Lakeforest of Kelliwood, and now Kickerillo is going to build $1mill+ homes in Cross Creek. People with money are definitely buying out here in Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston