Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM

684 posts, read 2,114,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
youre s hitting me
you still use toilet paper??

nope!!! no need for paper anymore!!

The home was built using "Green" construction techniques

the automatic hinney dryer is a terrific feature too...however, it wasn't a standard item...we had to pony up some upgrade $$ for that...but we felt it was a good investment....

Saving the planet...one "effort" at a time.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM

530 posts, read 2,041,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I've always bought UNDER what I could afford so I could put about 80-100k in a remodel to upgrade and spruce up the place.
Smart! I did this last time, but with no intention of upgrading. This time, I'm married and we did the same, but with the full intent of doing upgrades/remodels and paying the house off early.

Quote:
One, they have more character and usually have a better location/lot size, and Two I could always afford to make the place my own after the purchase.
Yep. The people out in Telfair/New Territory here in Sugar Land probably are annoyed that I have 3-4 different routes to 59, and then a much shorter drive into town once I'm on 59... Maybe in 10 years they'll start buying up the lots in my neighborhood to put up big houses and then I can sell and move out in the country where I'd really like to be someday... (job permitting). I am not a city guy, so even living in Sugar Land is (to me) a bit "too city."

Quote:
At the end, the house always reflects my style and the friggin' light switchs & sockets are where I want them and where they should be
I need to get some practice/knowledge of electrical work. I can learn things pretty well by reading and seeing diagrams. Do you think that'll work? I'm fairly mechanically inclined once I have a conceptual idea of how thing work. I do know that this house has a horribly inaccessible attic. 1/2 of the attic is behind the huge A/C unit and octopus of vent hoses. Maybe a monkey can get up there and swing from the low rafters, heh.

So far I have changed nearly every light fixture in the house (They were all circa 1970's/80's awful), and DISCOVERED some really ghetto work done by previous owners, including lowering part of a vaulted ceiling to create a "dining" area in the living room.... but I want the vaulted part back! I know nothing of doing sheetrock yet, though.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,134,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
nope!!! no need for paper anymore!!

The home was built using "Green" construction techniques

the automatic hinney dryer is a terrific feature too...however, it wasn't a standard item...we had to pony up some upgrade $$ for that...but we felt it was a good investment....

Saving the planet...one "effort" at a time.....
automatic deodorizer? feminine wash? massager spouts? automatic open/close of the lid? nice, we both have good thrones then (i dont have a mcmansion tho).

Old 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM

684 posts, read 2,114,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
automatic deodorizer? feminine wash? massager spouts? automatic open/close of the lid? nice, we both have good thrones then (i dont have a mcmansion tho).

yep, yep, yep...got all that!

the automatic seat reset feature is a fave of us girls with forgetful hubbies!!

...again, cost to upgrade....but well worth it.....

Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 PM

409 posts, read 486,775 times
I would have chosen the worst home in the best neighborhood. Location is huge. A lot can be done to make a home nicer, but if you have a bad location nothing fixes that.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 PM

177 posts, read 202,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
I would have chosen the worst home in the best neighborhood. Location is huge. A lot can be done to make a home nicer, but if you have a bad location nothing fixes that.
Eight (8) years bump. Congratulations!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:45 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,790,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPollito View Post
I see the CD police is are quick on the trigger......."All CD members lives matter"

Old 03-25-2016, 08:18 AM

18,159 posts, read 25,402,417 times
Quote:
Since when is that a crime?

I agree with you <Lily4>
I bought my first house in 2008 and did a good job buying a good house
Then moved to Houston in 2011, rented for 4 years and finally bought my 2nd house here in Houston in 2015 in the same area where we were renting
The main things I wanted were location of the house (location in the city and location in the neighborhood) sidewalks, community swimming pool, cul-de sac ... After that, I had a small list for things in the house

Somehow I got EVERYTHING I wanted in the house that I bought for $200,000
My wife is tired of me telling her that I love the house

Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,523,615 times
I would definitely buy in a cul-de-sac, I underestimated how valuable that is. Also would buy much smaller house, with much larger (more private) lot. I would have probably also paid the builder to do the wood floors, extended patio, sprinklers and paint. I didn't really save enough getting it done afterwards to justify the extra hassle.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:42 PM

409 posts, read 486,775 times
Quote:
I have no idea what "Eight years bump" means. Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston