Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:37 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,762,436 times

Advertisements

I also lost my NASA job at Jacobs due to a slowdown in NASA projects. Seems like other NASA companies aren't hiring too much unless you're e real hot engineer. Been unemployed 9 weeks now, but I had 3 interviews at oil & gas companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 PM

197 posts, read 798,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Very much not true. lay offs have already started in oil and gas due to falling prices. Anyone who thinks oil and gas is recession proof wasn't in the business 1982-1985, 1989-1992, or 1998 and 1999.
I have been in the O & G industry since 1974. All I am saying is, there are jobs out there - good paying jobs - and plenty of them.

And without disclosing who I work for & our Client's future projects - I will continue to stand by that my job is very secure.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:59 AM

469 posts, read 1,486,586 times
My wife works in the oil and gas industry and her company is hiring like crazy right now. My neighbor works for Methodist and there are zero cut backs going on over there. So, I would say that to this point if you are looking for work in the the energy sector or medical industry you would be fine. However, many other sectors have freezes on hiring and may soon start to have lay offs.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:58 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,713,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post
I have been in the O & G industry since 1974. All I am saying is, there are jobs out there - good paying jobs - and plenty of them.

And without disclosing who I work for & our Client's future projects - I will continue to stand by that my job is very secure.
I wish you the best and I also commend you on your confidence that you are a valuble employee. But dont get too fat headed. No matter what you do or who you are, you are just a number and are expendable. In an employers eye you are just the opposite of what you think you are.

I do disagree that there are plenty of high paying jobs as you say. Take a look in the job section of your local paper today and see what normal folk who are not Engineers must deal with. You will find a whole lot of crappy retail, restaurant and hospitality related jobs, few paying over $10/hr.

Not every one can afford to spend $100,000 on college so they can get those very few high paying jobs and spend the next 15 years paying off their college tuition.

You might even consider that not too many people would want to work in oil and gas. I personally would rather hold a hat on the corner begging then to work in that industry.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,844,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
My neighbor works for Methodist and there are zero cut backs going on over there.
The Sugar Land location is expanding. Probably means more jobs.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 PM

469 posts, read 1,486,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The Sugar Land location is expanding. Probably means more jobs.
I am not saying that the job market is wonderful but from what I hear things are still going pretty well. Well they are going well as long as you have credentials. Houston is a city of haves and have nots that is for sure. If you do not have an education and some field related experience it is tough but that is nothing new for this area.

Topaz, did I hear once before that you lived in the Northwest? If I am remembering right I was wondering if you grew up there or just lived there for a while?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:57 AM

69 posts, read 246,737 times
I work at MD Anderson and while there are over 500 positions that are open, individual departments are doing freezes and may eventually do lay offs. Nothing is guaranteed. Also, my sister is a recuriter at Presbyterian in NY,NY and they do have a hiring freeze on non essential postitions. I hear Sloan Kettering does as well. So, again, stay put and join in on the prayers.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 AM

58 posts, read 204,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post
I believe the ecomomy here is still strong. Housing is cheap, gas prices are going down. I am in oil and gas, and pretty much "recession/depression" proof.
If you're an engineer....you're pretty much safe too. Tons of jobs with great pay/benefits.
Check out the Houston Chronicle online (www.chron.com) for jobs.
I always say, if you can't find a job here in Houston, you aren't looking hard enough.
My husband and I have been looking for over a year to move back home and nobody wants to hire us because we don't live there...so much for all of the hype on the news about companies hiring out of state in Houston. We put our names with recruiters, job boards...I even contacted people I hadn't talked to in years to get my foot in the door...nothin'!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,844,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
Topaz, did I hear once before that you lived in the Northwest? If I am remembering right I was wondering if you grew up there or just lived there for a while?
I didn't grow up there but we lived in Seattle for almost 10 years and Portland (Oregon) for a brief amount of time (less than a year).

Topaz

Old 10-21-2008, 07:48 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,418,363 times
Default What industry are you in???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoseph View Post
My husband and I have been looking for over a year to move back home and nobody wants to hire us because we don't live there...so much for all of the hype on the news about companies hiring out of state in Houston. We put our names with recruiters, job boards...I even contacted people I hadn't talked to in years to get my foot in the door...nothin'!
What is it that you do??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston