Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 AM

279 posts, read 1,163,538 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Houston in a couple of mths and since i'm leaving my friends behind i'm there by myself. I hate doing anything usually by myself so not sure why i'm doing this except I need a change. I need better opportunities for work, better affordable housing, a cleaner environment to be outside more and do more athletic things....just enjoy myself and accomplish my goals.
However I would love to do those things with someone else. How hard is it to make friends in Houston? I'm 35 str8 acting gay male and like to do pretty much anything just as long as were having fun. Being new to the city i'll need to see everything just don't want to go around like a lonely single tourist. Help! Am I making a mistake going by myself? Or am I getting last minute jitters? Any advice would be great as people home just keep telling me not to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Icy

7 posts, read 20,686 times
I guess it really just depends on what kind of person you are, what kind of activities you like to do, etc. Houston has a many different groups of people along with many different things to do. If you have a hobby I would say it would be pretty easy to meet up with a group here and make friends that way. Otherwise, you'll probably make new friends at your new workplace.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:12 PM

247 posts, read 737,535 times
I recently moved to Houston from Dallas and have found that the people living inside "the 610 loop" are very friendly and talkative. Unfortunately the real estate in the cool neighborhoods inside the loop is very expensive. A good way to meet people once you get to Houston is to search for a group of folks who share your interests on Meetup.com and go to one of their get togethers.

If I could live any place in Texas it would be Austin.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:53 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Houston does have some air quality issues (I noted that you said "cleaner" to be outside more) in case that is a concern to you. I think you would make friends here easily if you are a social type. If you are more shy - it might a bit hard at first, but that would be the case anywhere for a shy person.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:56 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
If there are certain activities that you enjoy, definitely find an outlet for those. The people you meet there will at least share your interests. I realize it is too late this year, but if you are into softball, there is a gay softball league (Montrose softball league) that is a great way to make friends. Of course there is online and the bar scene...it's been a while since I had to do that, but made friends that I am very close to.

And don't forget making friends at the office, gym, running in the park, etc.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:40 AM

70 posts, read 430,568 times
Also try Use the Internet to get off the Internet! - Meetup.com, you may find a group with similar interests that you can get together with. There are usually "new to the area" groups.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
A friend of mine happens to be gay/single, and he meets friends online that often turn into real-life friendships. On the other hand, he also meets a lot of weirdos that he immediately divests himself of. Hehe.

My personal favorite way to meet friends is through church activities. But, if that's not something that's your thing, I'm not sure what to recommend. Hobbies are a great way to meet people. My latest hobby is learning Spanish, and through this I've met a lot of great people who are either learning Spanish or English.

BTW, I do believe there is a gay church in Houston that affiliates itself (perhaps loosely or only in name) with the Episcopal Church. Just a thought, if you wanted to go to church but felt offput. I'm Catholic and just FYI, you're welcome at our churches. All are welcome.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
My bad, I don't think they affiliate w/ the Episcopal Church, but this is the one I've been to with my friend:

Welcome to Resurrection Metropolitan Community Church in Houston, Texas

I believe the pastor (at the time) was a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston