Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,473,644 times

Advertisements

Have you and your neighbors considered forming a neighborhood watch group? There is power in numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 08:17 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,712,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Have you and your neighbors considered forming a neighborhood watch group? There is power in numbers.
Exactly, that would be my idea too. If she filed her attack with the police there should be a report that would make the complex give over the tape to them.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 PM

17 posts, read 61,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Is there anything I can do?

Shotgun = Piece of mind or at least, piece of rapist!

OPTION 1

AIM AT RAPIST > PULL TRIGGER > HAVE A FEW SHOTS OF PARROT BAY COCONUT RUM > LET POLICE PICKUP PIECES OF RAPISTS.

OPTION 2

GET A BULL MASTORSON OR GERMAN SHEPARD OR LARGE PIT BULL.

OPTION 3

MANY GUYS ARE AVAILABLE FOR 1 ON 1's & OVERNIGHTS WATCH DUTIES LOL,

Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,473,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelicateimage View Post
Shotgun = Piece of mind or at least, piece of rapist!

OPTION 1

AIM AT RAPIST > PULL TRIGGER > HAVE A FEW SHOTS OF PARROT BAY COCONUT RUM > LET POLICE PICKUP PIECES OF RAPISTS.

OPTION 2

GET A BULL MASTORSON OR GERMAN SHEPARD OR LARGE PIT BULL.

OPTION 3

MANY GUYS ARE AVAILABLE FOR 1 ON 1's & OVERNIGHTS WATCH DUTIES LOL,

That's cute. Did you read the news story in the Houston Chronicle yesterday? There was a man who went into a vacant apartment, broke through the wall into another apartment, and began stabbing a woman. That poor gal had to be horrified. She had a gun and I'm not sure that the guy fared too well in that deal.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM

41 posts, read 182,163 times
xodox, do you live in camden at woodland park..
if yes, check my previous post..
the incident happened right next to my apartment and i was
one of the few who went out..
i even saw the guy running dowstairs.. actually he even took
the chinese delivery girl's car..
too bad i didnt see his face.. i already told the police that went
a few minutes after the incident..

Old 11-14-2008, 05:06 AM

14 posts, read 58,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Hello you all!

Last thursday a female resident was sexually assaulted at my apartment complex. Have not found the attacker so far.
Today we reveived a letter from this resident asking us for help. Thank god some other resident heard here screaming and helped here. Do not want to imagine what would have happened if had not been there !!

The letter states that she requested help from the management but they just told her the security ( which I have not seen at all and was told they do not even wearuniforms! ) is only for the owners protection to protect the property and we are basically screwed. They would not even give her the number of the company who owns this complex and were not willing at all to help her with ANYTHING! They would not even allow her to view the video tapes !! Nothing!!Premises Security (Rape – Shootings – Assault)

This is just outrageous !!!!!

People here get sexually assaulted and they do not give a damn!

I will go there tomorrow as soon as they open and will confront them with this. There are 280 apartments so I am sure there will be some other people too.

Is there anything I can do? Can I file a complaint with some local authority ? Or just anything else ??
I am really concerned about my personal safety right now and will NOT accept that they do not give a crap about this !

Bye the way, I am paying 1200 for 780 square feet so I am expecting way way more than this !
Apartment Owners Hotels etc.; owe a duty to their tenants to keep their property decent, safe and habitable. Many apartment owner, Hotel Operators etc. choose to place profit over safety. As a result, they fail to repair locks, doors, passages and gates or warn you of criminal activity on the property.

Moderator cut: advertising is not allowed

Last edited by Jammie; 11-14-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: advertising a security company

Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,229,088 times
[quote=bonitadita;6153260]Apartment Owners Hotels etc.; owe a duty to their tenants to keep their property decent, safe and habitable. Many apartment owner, Hotel Operators etc. choose to place profit over safety. As a result, they fail to repair locks, doors, passages and gates or warn you of criminal activity on the property.

Moderator cut: Advertisng quote was removed

Oh please! Gates? Security? In half those complexes it is not a matter of locked gates, etc. the criminals are living in the same complex and have full access. Folks need to realize that gates are just a psychological balm (an illusion of safety) and not really functional except to perhaps discourage car thieves. A secure building with a guard at the end of the hallway did not prevent me from being attacked. The guard did nothing as he recognised the attacker as another resident(not one I knew). Lucky me, I fought the guy which scared him off and the cops took it from there.
Moderator cut: it was removed and thanks

Last edited by Jammie; 11-14-2008 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: advertising removed out of quote and you're right~no advertising. LOL

Old 11-15-2008, 10:50 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,840,897 times
Part of the problem is people look to apartment Managers or property management companies to provide them with a level of protection they have long give up expecting from their local police. If that is your expectation from your complex, you are bound to be disappointed.

Property owners have a certain level of "premise liability" and need to take some basic steps such as good lighting, providing working locks on the doors and windows, etc. A lot of complexes have what they call "courtesy officers" which are police that they give a free unit to in exchange for walking around a little, (heavy emphasis on a little). More than anything this provides some level of CYA for the complex to show some effort in providing a level of security.

The word security, however, is one the property management companies avoid using. If you ask the leasing agents, book keepers and such in the office, you will probably get them parroting out the phrase they have been taught to say, "We do not provide security, your safety is between you and the local law enforcement agencies." Which of course does make sense. Who wants to be liable for every yahoo out there. But it still does not preclude the management company from a level of liability if negligence on their part can be proven, even if they have you sign a battery of forms saying you agree they are not responsible for your safety. Which, btw, you probably have if you live in a complex anywhere in town.

I am no Lawyer, but I think you would have to prove that the complex could reasonably foresee the crime issue happening and did not do anything, (or enough), to take steps to try to prevent it from happening.

If a serious crime event does happen in a complex, then absolutely they should send a letter to all the residents so they can be aware there is a problem. Failing to do so could cost the owners big time in court should there be a repeat of the type of incident on the property.

Ronald Reagan had the best security in the world. Didn't stop Hinckley from getting a shot in. Even the secret service can't always provide fool-proof safety, so don't be all up in arms at your apartment manager because of one incident. Certainly there are some things regarding security that management companies should and must provide, but, if you are expecting your management company to provide you with a totally crime free environment where nothing can ever happen, then you are a fool.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:26 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,229,088 times
Well put modester!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston