Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr39 View Post
Hi everybody,

I am researching a possible move to Houston next year for my husband and I. However, it seems like everybody bags Houston. One woman even used the word "detest" after she had lived there for 5 years. Is it really that bad or is this the experience of some people stuck out in the burbs....

Both my husband and I would have good jobs - he is an oil & gas engineer and would be transferred there as an expat with his company and I am a lawyer and hope to get a job with one of the big law firms. We intend to live very inner city - preferably near a park if possible.

The general criticisms seem to be: you have to drive everywhere, it is unbearably hot and humid, it is very conservative politically and it is very sprawled and ugly.

Why do people dislike Houston so much? Surely other cities must also have some of these negatives but aren't criticised so much. All these negative reviews are making me consider our move....is it really that hot? As hot as Dubai for example?

So come on, what are the good things about Houston? What makes it "cool"?

thanks!
I dislike Houston because of the oppressive, excessive, stink'n HEAT and HUMIDITY don't forget that. And there are no mountains here. It's fall but our temp today was 92 We have no winter here, but some people like that. Some people even like the heat What makes Houston cool...AC

Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
I moved here from Philadelphia about three months ago and I love it. And I'm "stuck" out in the suburbs. I got used to the heat AND humidity pretty quickly. I don't have to drive that far for anything I need, and I don't mind driving a little further for things in the city on the weekends. I'm thrilled to be living in a red state, although Houston itself is not that conservative. I love how ethnically diverse it is. I love the low cost of living (not just housing) compared to the northeast. I am saving on taxes, childcare, gas, groceries, dry cleaning, house cleaning, even car insurance. As a chemical engineer I am not worried about my job, if I lose it I'm sure I could find another in a heartbeat. I do miss autumn but I am faking it the best I can.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I'm thrilled to be living in a red state
We're communists?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:50 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Want to talk about inferiority complex? Just FYI, Houston is the largest city in the United States by square mileage. 600 square miles. For those who like to compare U.S. cities to European cities, that's TEN TIMES LARGER than Paris, France.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I guess you were too busy sitting on your ass while missing out on all the parties and events going on around Houston everyday. Sorry,but your just a boring person if you can't have fun in Houston. You think your going to go to NYC and just have fun 24/7?? Wrong, living in big crowded cities is not as wonderful as you think.

All you do is complain about how their is nothing to do and make lame jokes about rodeos,oil,and gas (Didn't know you could be entertained by oil and gas. the rodeo can be really fun imo). I go to downtown on weekends and the sidewalks are packed with people club hopping and hanging with friends.

Just like you have to deal with the heat,sprawl, and ugliness of Houston...you have to deal with the cold,filth and tight-ness/cramp-ness of more dense cities. These are some of the things you have to deal with when living in some of America's greatest cities. You learn to suck it up or whine about til you die.

here's a great example of why people hate houston. just out of the blue you picked NYC right? and you think NYC is not all that, right? and you say you run out of things to do in NYC, not like in houston, right? and you actually think i'm boring because i'm bored in houston ... while youre still a cool guy running out of things to do in FIRKIN NYC (that city blows, right?)

I moved here from NYC last year and i never "whined" about boredom in the NE. in fact i admit I could not keep up with everyone i enjoy being with (and not). I did "complain" about that from time to time - theres just too much going on.

but nevermind that. i think its better if you dont know what you gave up for what ever reason you being here. enjoy your rodeo

Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr39 View Post
So come on, what are the good things about Houston? What makes it "cool"?
"driving everywhere" isnt really a big negative. depending on the person one can actually accomplish more which is good if youre not the typical cubicle office robot that goes straight home everyday. i do know a few guys who use the bus to the burbs so they are tied to the bus schedules which ends really early

hmm what else is cool... cigarettes are cheap. thats cool.
the peer pressure to look presentable or even sharp isn't at high levels over here. that should be good for some.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
here's a great example of why people hate houston. just out of the blue you picked NYC right? and you think NYC is not all that, right? and you say you run out of things to do in NYC, not like in houston, right? and you actually think i'm boring because i'm bored in houston ... while youre still a cool guy running out of things to do in FIRKIN NYC (that city blows, right?)

I moved here from NYC last year and i never "whined" about boredom in the NE. in fact i admit I could not keep up with everyone i enjoy being with (and not). I did "complain" about that from time to time - theres just too much going on.

but nevermind that. i think its better if you dont know what you gave up for what ever reason you being here. enjoy your rodeo
I have no problem with you thinking NYC is better, but for you to be bored in a city of over 2 million people is unreal. Your bored because you don't get out and do anything. People always assume they've experienced everything Houston has to offer when they have no idea.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Want to talk about inferiority complex? Just FYI, Houston is the largest city in the United States by square mileage. 600 square miles. For those who like to compare U.S. cities to European cities, that's TEN TIMES LARGER than Paris, France.

Actually that would be Juneau Alaska who is the largest in square mileage. 3,255.0 sq mi.

Juneau, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I have no problem with you thinking NYC is better, but for you to be bored in a city of over 2 million people is unreal. Your bored because you don't get out and do anything. People always assume they've experienced everything Houston has to offer when they have no idea.
err what fun can you do with 2 million sprawled out houstonians? I cant read much from what your saying except another Houston statistic. what does the region offer to houstonians anyway? libraries and museums? is that what youre suggesting?
i am not bored. i do think houston is boring, no character and maybe the cool stuff to do are all well hidden. yeah maybe we have no idea or maybe youre square or just clueless.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Maybe you're just boring, Wizzy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston