Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:35 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
In that case, Austin is probably ideal for you. People tend to look at it as somewhat of a big city, but to me it's nothing but a big suburb. You also might like San Antonio. It's big in terms of population, but very calm and I've heard of some great suburbs there. Still, you should keep in mind that the best suburbs are around Houston.

*Austin is not so far from the big city life as you think. Traffic is ridiculous.
Austin is not as laid-back as it may seem. Well, maybe 15 years ago it was... but things have changed. You are totally right about the traffic.

Yes, there are some nice suburbs there, but I think several in Houston are better (i.e. Sugar Land, Woodlands...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Austin is not as laid-back as it may seem. Well, maybe 15 years ago it was... but things have changed. You are totally right about the traffic.

Yes, there are some nice suburbs there, but I think several in Houston are better (i.e. Sugar Land, Woodlands...)
I can see myself retiring in Austin when I'm done doing it big in Houston. Austin is still city, but to me it is just sooo so nice. It's smooth and easy, and if there's no traffic, a drive can be so calm and relaxing. Great place.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
I can see myself retiring in Austin when I'm done doing it big in Houston. Austin is still city, but to me it is just sooo so nice. It's smooth and easy, and if there's no traffic, a drive can be so calm and relaxing. Great place.
Yeah, if there's no traffic! It has grown too fast. It was a lot nicer when I lived there, early 90's, than now. There are some great retirement areas on the outskirts, though. But the city itself is overrated.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Yeah, if there's no traffic! It has grown too fast. It was a lot nicer when I lived there, early 90's, than now. There are some great retirement areas on the outskirts, though. But the city itself is overrated.
Well, to each his own, but see my problem was that I had got lost off 35 trying to find the 290 to Houston, so I ended up going on a 40 minute scenic drive through the area after missing my exit twice. It was enjoyable though.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 34,539 times
Cool I have chosen Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Yea...people never dress up in New York.
And I wouldn't classify Houston as "sexy."

Look, Houston is a fine place. It has many advantages, including an expanding job market and cheap housing for middle income people. If you have a family and having a big yard in the burbs with a church and all that is what you want...Houston is not a bad choice. If you are conservative and living around other conservatives is important, that would be another reason to choose Houston. In fact, if those are your priorities, it's probably a very good choice. But, it's not New York and cannot compare to the culture and excitement of the city. Don't feel bad, there are only a handful of cities in the world that can match NYC (Tokyo, London, Paris, Hong Kong...maybe Moscow).
I lived in Moscow, Houston, and Austin. Visited NYC. Currently I live in Houston. If I could afford it, I would have lived in Moscow, NYC would have been be my second choice. Moscow holds the dubious honor of being "The Most Expensive City in the World", second year in the row. My base salary here in Houston is a bit over $100K - working as a Sr. Software Engineer. To maintain the same standard of living in NYC I would need to make anywhere between $190K-$250K depending on location. I hate NYC taxes and laws. Looks like the city and the state are run by communists. Therefore I have chosen Houston. There could be no comparison between Houston and cities like NYC or Moscow. They are just not in the same league. If you are a big city dweller and doubt there is life outside of Manhattan - Houston is not for you. I do not like Houston. It's an ugly city. The city of railroads, factories, ghettos, and depots. But what bothers me the most is the pervasive humidity. Combined with 9 months of hot weather - makes me feel like living on a submarine or a space station. I spend most of my time indoors, air-conditioned. Winters are temperate, but then again, humidity spoils it. BUT, - you have to consider the MONEY. It would be very difficult to find a job that would pay $250K in NYC, even for a top-notch Software Engineer. As far as finance industry goes, NYC actually started loosing jobs to Houston. I know this first hand since I worked for JP Morgan Chase. Basically, I took a job of a guy who was laid off in NYC.... along with about other 100 people in my department who were hired here in Houston while the same positions were terminated in NYC.

Austin is nice, but it's a small city - with all the consequences. Just plain boring and not too many opportunities.
Just my $0.02.

Last edited by nyevik; 07-26-2007 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: error

Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyevik View Post
I lived in Moscow, Houston, and Austin. Visited NYC. Currently I live in Houston. If I could afford it, I would have lived in Moscow, NYC would have been be my second choice. Moscow holds the dubious honor of being "The Most Expensive City in the World", second year in the row. My base salary here in Houston is a bit over $100K - working as a Sr. Software Engineer. To maintain the same standard of living in NYC I would need to make anywhere between $190K-$250K depending on location. I hate NYC taxes and laws. Looks like the city and the state are run by communists. Therefore I have chosen Houston. There could be no comparison between Houston and cities like NYC or Moscow. They are just not in the same league. If you are a big city dweller and doubt there is life outside of Manhattan - Houston is not for you. I do not like Houston. It's an ugly city. The city of railroads, factories, ghettos, and depots. But what bothers me the most is the pervasive humidity. Combined with 9 months of hot weather - makes me feel like living on a submarine or a space station. I spend most of my time indoors, air-conditioned. Winters are temperate, but then again, humidity spoils it. BUT, - you have to consider the MONEY. It would be very difficult to find a job that would pay $250K in NYC, even for a top-notch Software Engineer. As far as finance industry goes, NYC actually started loosing jobs to Houston. I know this first hand since I worked for JP Morgan Chase. Basically, I took a job of a guy who was laid off in NYC.... along with about other 100 people in my department who were hired here in Houston while the same positions were terminated in NYC.

Austin is nice, but it's a small city - with all the consequences. Just plain boring and not too many opportunities.
Just my $0.02.
To each his own. There are some who aren't convinced that there's real life outside of Texas. But to say that it's not in the same league is debatable.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion3078 View Post
Ill make it easy for you. Do you want frigid winters with snow, have to walk just about everywhere, and horrific traffic squashed into a small area or do you want a spread out city where driving is a must, warm temps, and a warm beach? Other than that, the two basically offer the same ammenities. One major difference is NYC is overrated and cost of living is ridiculous, where Houston is more affordable and is growing everyday with more opportunities. Nothing against NYC, but I am from Houston and I just love the warm weather and the more relaxed spread out feeling. Good luck!
For a moment, I thought you were comparing NY or Chicago since you said "frigid winters with snow" to LA.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:39 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,589 times
Houston is pretty laid back and quiet at night compared to Manhattan.

Houston is probably a good place for retirement from Manhattan.

I would move up there if I could.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyevik View Post
...My base salary here in Houston is a bit over $100K - working as a Sr. Software Engineer. To maintain the same standard of living in NYC I would need to make anywhere between $190K-$250K depending on location. I hate NYC taxes and laws. Looks like the city and the state are run by communists. Therefore I have chosen Houston. There could be no comparison between Houston and cities like NYC or Moscow. They are just not in the same league. If you are a big city dweller and doubt there is life outside of Manhattan - Houston is not for you. I do not like Houston. It's an ugly city. The city of railroads, factories, ghettos, and depots. But what bothers me the most is the pervasive humidity. Combined with 9 months of hot weather - makes me feel like living on a submarine or a space station. I spend most of my time indoors, air-conditioned. Winters are temperate, but then again, humidity spoils it. BUT, - you have to consider the MONEY. It would be very difficult to find a job that would pay $250K in NYC, even for a top-notch Software Engineer. As far as finance industry goes, NYC actually started loosing jobs to Houston. I know this first hand since I worked for JP Morgan Chase. Basically, I took a job of a guy who was laid off in NYC.... along with about other 100 people in my department who were hired here in Houston while the same positions were terminated in NYC.

Just my $0.02.
not sure where to begin well first I didnt know Moscow is a desireable place to live
100K TX$ == 250K NY$?? what?! False! you just have to get over the big yard, empty rooms, windy subdivision roads, daycare highschools, public pools, landscaping workforce, community gym etc etc. did you know that its faster and comfy to get to NYC(work, entertainment) from CT, NJ, LI than houston's great suburbs to midtown(whatever is in there)? and you dont even need to drive. NYC is THE land of opportunity and MONEY, you just have to have the *right attitude* and *right priorities* in life. i dont know who said it... "Options(choices?) are what makes a person rich." you sir are stuck at home in houston.
I dont know anyone in NYC who's still renting. everyone eventually settles into some give&take housing situation. with single income too. overthere housing is a true investment

it may be true NYC losing jobs to houston but its a very very tiny sector (maybe the dime a dozen roles). its more like overflowing to houston. *FEW* of JPMCs software and infrastructure is in Houston, Tampa, Chicago and Delaware. A huge percentage is still in the primary location because theyre vital resources there, where the operations is. I do not think you can have the same opportunity, learning and productivity of a developer in NYC working hand-in-hand eye-to-eye with a trader/ops. I believe people call this situation 'laidback'.
if someone was laid off, it probably means he's no good, can be replicated offsite or a contractor. in any case, i'm not saying houston efforts is not strong but can be thought of as a break away/offsite/offshore *model* - in the corporate world its another word for 'experiment'

Old 07-27-2007, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 34,539 times
Default Houston and NYC are not in the same league

Quote:
To each his own. There are some who aren't convinced that there's real life outside of Texas. But to say that it's not in the same league is debatable.
Of course, everything is debatable. I expressed my personal opinion that happens to coincide with the Globalization and World Cities Study Group and Network (GaWC) ranking. Houston is the so-called "Gamma World City", whereas NYC and Moscow are in the "Alpha" and "Beta" "World City" categories respectively. For more information you can go to Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can debate that if you want.

Last edited by nyevik; 07-27-2007 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston