Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I've seen many pictures both in books and on TV. I've had many acquaintances who were from New York. Some were nice. Some were not. I have been to JFK Airport, but it was during layovers on the way to and back from London in 1985, so I have been to the East Coast one time. And, I'm sorry, but one time was enough. The downtown buildings in NYC, admittedly, are wonderful when viewed from the airplane, but the city isn't for everybody. Everybody gets impressions of something, and that has happened to me just like it's happened to you. And, unfortunately, I haven't had a good impression of the NYC lifestyle. Sadly, there are stereotypes, and you can only guess how many. I know it's not quite fair to assess, just like Texas 7 said, but I just don't have an interest in that place and simply no desire to go. Some people have no desire for Texas. Fine. Both cities have their lion's share of pros and cons. That's all. I don't wish anything personal. That's the danger of blogging. We can certainly respect one another's point of view, and there should never be any hard feelings. I always try to keep a positive spin on many things -- I just stepped over the edge.

Sometimes it's hard to make the right comments in subjects such as this without swimming in barracuda waters.
I hated NYC when I was stuck there. it took me about 2 years to start figuring things out. I hated what other people might call 'architecture', 'history' and 'the arts' until i started to know real talented folks. I hated the subway until it enriched my 'lovelife' anyway, i was all-geared up for california living but my agent got me a 'temporary' job in NYC and I didnt have the right mindset for it thats why it took me a while. I believe you also started with the wrong foot. Now I realize I may have started with the wrong foot with houston reading about it from you guys.
As for peoples and attitudes, there are very nice folks in houston but i believe there is a bigger chance for you to meet gentle/nice folks in NYC because the weather and public transportation allows people to get out more. in NYC you'll get hit by a bike messenger, and experience all sorts of rudeness - but that only means youre too slow (probably not having the right coins or taking too long digging into a coin purse) or just in the wrong places. People who make it in NYC had to adapt, and this is not easy for everyone especially older people

I know we have different tastes in food. I dont touch southern style barbecue to tell you the truth, it must be better than any NYC slab o'meat for all i care. but i must say asian food in NYC area is much better than in Houston. and i live in houston chinatown. we're badly missing our favorites, its truly that good.
I learned from a friend that vietnam is a poor country and that food isnt really their thing, so here I am in the middle of chinatown wannabe *sigh* thank God dimsum is generic lol. we got our fingers crossed for bellaire blvd's new constructions

hey for what its worth, the next generation after yours will leave houston. the way kids are pampered here they'll definitely be the ones to try to escape and face the real big bad cities of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:37 PM

374 posts, read 1,853,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion3078 View Post
Ill make it easy for you. Do you want frigid winters with snow, have to walk just about everywhere, and horrific traffic squashed into a small area or do you want a spread out city where driving is a must, warm temps, and a warm beach? Other than that, the two basically offer the same ammenities. One major difference is NYC is overrated and cost of living is ridiculous, where Houston is more affordable and is growing everyday with more opportunities. Nothing against NYC, but I am from Houston and I just love the warm weather and the more relaxed spread out feeling. Good luck!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - this post is SO funny! Houston is NOTHING! It is a boring, dull and characterless place. Sorry, it's the truth. The only thing to see in Houston is freeways. One of the best things about cities like New York and San Francisco is that you do walk every where. It's great to walk out my door (in San Francisco) and have everything I need in my neighborhood. It's great to walk to another neighborhood, with an entirely different feel, and shop there. SF and NYC are the best cities in the country, BAR NONE, because of their character, distinctive neighborhoods, and the countless things to see and do. What is there to do in Houston besides drive to the mall?

Don't talk about the weather Fusion. I know people from Houston and I've been there. The summer weather is absolutely wretched - hot and humid. Plus, Houston is not THAT close to the beach.

Bottom line - cities like NYC (and San Francisco) are great cities of the world. Houston isn't even a great city of the U.S.

Do yourself a favor and at least visit first. I will never understand, for the life of me, why my friends live there.

I've been all over the country, and I would take all these cities over Houston any day:

- Boston
- NYC
- D.C.
- Atlanta
- Miami
- Tampa
- Charleston
- Savannah
- New Orleans
- Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Chicago
- Seattle
- Portland (Oregon)
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Phoenix

The only thing worse than Houston is Dallas.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Beone, I disagree. Worse than Houston is Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Savannah, New Orleans (it has 3 great blocks, whoopee! Always has been the most overrated city in America)Charleston and Atlanta. The rest I'll give you. But people that hate Houston truly hate Houston. I think the same can be said for almost all the cities in your list . Personally, I hate Atlanta, I loathe New Orleans (before and after Katrina) and Phoenix is, well, I think I feel the same way about Phoenix as you do about Houston.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - this post is SO funny! Houston is NOTHING! It is a boring, dull and characterless place. Sorry, it's the truth. The only thing to see in Houston is freeways. One of the best things about cities like New York and San Francisco is that you do walk every where. It's great to walk out my door (in San Francisco) and have everything I need in my neighborhood. It's great to walk to another neighborhood, with an entirely different feel, and shop there. SF and NYC are the best cities in the country, BAR NONE, because of their character, distinctive neighborhoods, and the countless things to see and do. What is there to do in Houston besides drive to the mall?

Don't talk about the weather Fusion. I know people from Houston and I've been there. The summer weather is absolutely wretched - hot and humid. Plus, Houston is not THAT close to the beach.

Bottom line - cities like NYC (and San Francisco) are great cities of the world. Houston isn't even a great city of the U.S.

Do yourself a favor and at least visit first. I will never understand, for the life of me, why my friends live there.

I've been all over the country, and I would take all these cities over Houston any day:

- Boston
- NYC
- D.C.
- Atlanta
- Miami
- Tampa
- Charleston
- Savannah
- New Orleans
- Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Chicago
- Seattle
- Portland (Oregon)
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Phoenix

The only thing worse than Houston is Dallas.
You'd have to live in Houston to understand why your friends live here. Visiting and living are different - visiting doesn't really count - all you see on a visit are freeways - takes a while to see the things the city has to offer - you need to get off the freeways and into the city.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
New Orleans (it has 3 great blocks, whoopee! Always has been the most overrated city in America)
Avoid getting robbed in New Orleans. Three blocks is not enough for THE safe place in town.:haha:

Old 09-11-2007, 11:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Houston residents see that the city needs a lot of improvement due to things such as the stupidity that is "no zoning laws".
Actually, the city doesn't need to improve it's "no zoning laws." This creates a unique major city that cannot be found anywhere else in the world.

Quote:
The bastardization of Macy's makes me sick.
Foley's needed to go so bad. Macy's improved the merchandise and the displays. If you want to see what Foley's used to look like, just go to the nearby Dillard's and try to navigate through the narrow aisles.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
What is there to do in Houston besides drive to the mall?
You're joking, right??

If not, you're obviously completely clueless about Houston and have not explored the city or bothered to do any research.

For example, I knew of a person who was involved in the performing arts and had lived in both SF and Houston. He said Houston's scene was better. The downtown theatre district is the second largest in the country after NYC, for crying out loud. With that, who needs a mall?

Since you're obviously so ignorant about Houston, I don't think you have much business getting in the thread to give your extremely uneducated opinion...

Old 09-12-2007, 03:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
He's wrong. There's more to do than drive to the mall.

You can always take the bus to the mall instead.

Houston is extremely boring, at least for extremely boring people.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,823 times
As a native Texan that has moved all over the place (currently in Boston), I have to say that Houston does get a bad rap. Its national image really is pretty poor. Much of it is based on public misconceptions but some of it is the fault of city leader ands (no offense) locals with the "I could give a hell" attitude.

I'm the first to criticize the place where criticism is due. And there are plenty of things that need to change about the city (zoning, public trans, sprawl, pollution, bland burbs, and just plain quality of life issues) but there are some really interesting things about Houston as well. It is an economic powerhouse with a industry specialty that sets it apart from other new sunbelt cities (Phoenix for example). Also, even though I LOVE the Northeast, I will also admit that many people in the Northeast are just as provincial and biased as people in Texas are. I remember when I first moved up here I was asked the same questions about horses, running water, and telephones.

Houston has some great things going for it. Is it the city that New York is or Boston or San Francisco? Of course not. Those cities have a quality of life that I feel is superior to Houston (the real estate values I think reflect that). But that is not to say that Houston doesn't have some advantages and isn't moving in the right direction. Thankfully, I think that because there are so many people moving into Houston from other areas of the country (and the world), things are changing. People who grew up having a less stressful commute are moving to Houston and demanding that changes be made to the madness that is highways in Houston (one of the worst parts of the city). People are demanding more centralized neighborhoods with local neighborhood amenities. You can see the changes occurring in places like Midtown and the Heights which is a good thing.

Will Houston be a truly great city in my lifetime (I'm 30)? I don't know; sometimes when I see all that sprawl continuing and the plans for the massive highway on I-10 I doubt it. I think some of the pessimism from many regarding public transportation also makes me wonder. But, considering coming out of undergrad you couldn't have paid me to live in Houston and now I have come to appreciate some of the more central neighborhoods, my doubts may be misplaced.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Live close in and you don't have to give a damn about I-10 or the bland burbs or the sprawl far beyond the Inner Loop.

(By the way, is that opposed to non-bland burbs? They're all the same to me wherever I go...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston