Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 AM

12 posts, read 60,994 times

Advertisements

New to TX. Can anyone recommend an area in N. Houston to begin hunting explorations? Seems everyone calls their land a ranch (private) but where would a new Texas resident begin explorig their huntings options. Looking for turkey, dove and other birds. Deer could be an interest too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 12:52 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times
I'm not a hunter, so I can't help you with specifics. However, there is a local radio show on 97.5 FM on Wednesdays from 7-9pm that covers hunting, fishing and the outdoors. I guess they have a TV show too:

CSEoutdoors - Home

Old 08-20-2008, 07:08 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
There are public hunting lands available as well as private leases start here to learn more about hunting in Texas: Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Hunting & Wildlife

Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Texas View Post
New to TX. Can anyone recommend an area in N. Houston to begin hunting explorations? Seems everyone calls their land a ranch (private) but where would a new Texas resident begin explorig their huntings options. Looking for turkey, dove and other birds. Deer could be an interest too.
There is a treasure trove of great bird hunting nearby to Houston, but if you aren't driving about 90 minutes from downtown you're probably never going to shoot a limit. You'll have to drive at least twice that for deer.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Pretty much have to go south and west to get Turkey, Dove and deer larger than a dog. Acreage is pretty pricey these days unless you go way west of San Antonio.

3000-5000 an acre is the norm within 3 hours of a big city. And that usually doesn't include improvements.

Most people get on hunting leases......

Anything under 200 acres is a Ranchette in my opinion. Anything under 75 is a farm. Anything under 40 acres is a country house.

Now you can get on deer leases up on the logging acreage around Davy Crockett National Forest. But the deer are seriously "eh." If you can get enough backstrap off them for a meal consider yourself lucky.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Now you can get on deer leases up on the logging acreage around Davy Crockett National Forest. But the deer are seriously "eh." If you can get enough backstrap off them for a meal consider yourself lucky.
Agreed. Don't go east for deer. You have to go West, South, Southwest or North and whichever direction you go you have to go a long way.

East Texas deer get shot on sight year round. There is no management or natural selection, just attrition.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 PM

12 posts, read 60,994 times
Thanks for the information folks. My buds and I go on an annual dove hunt (will miss it with my move by one week this year) about two hours east of San Diego, CA. Limits (10 each) within the first hour. Good thing, it was 100 by 9 a.m. last year, and 112 just after noon. About 50/50 split between larger white wing and mourning...some Eurasians too.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 PM

38 posts, read 185,070 times
The closest to Houston Tx. are: Conroe, Clearlake, Kemah, and Nueces River areas.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
If you want to see herds of deer that you can look at but not touch, go hand out near Bay Area Blvd near the chemical plants. I've seen some really outstanding bucks cross the road. The folks at the wastewater treatment plant on the corner of Port Rd. put out a feeder and sometimes you will see 7-8 nice ones there at a time...no hunting though This extends down to Armand Bayou nature center too. Actually quite a nice selection of wildlife in that urban/industrial area. They have to do special collections (read: remove to different location) of deer and hogs every so often just to control the population from what I hear.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 AM

Eagle Lake is probably the closest prospect for a good waterfowl hunt. You can find dove to shoot in a lot of places, but for a Mexican style shoot you have to go quite a ways. I've noticed a major increase in whitewings here over the last ten years or so. I could only speculate as to the reason why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston