Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:54 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,503 times

Advertisements

It is cool to see once, but it's one of those been-there-done-that kind of things. Great planning on the cities part but not really considered a tourist attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:34 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
No, and I blame the tunnel system for the lack of retail downtown. Downtown looks dead in the summer because of the tunnels. I would imagine downtown would have a much more of a vibrant night life if all of these places were open after the hours of 4:00pm. Downtown needs more street traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tunnel system, but I think it doesn't help the downtown population at all. I would love to go to Beck's at 9:00pm.
I don't think the tunnel system has anything to do with the lack of retail in downtown. It is more a population center thing. Downtown is a 9-5 kind of place and no weekends. Very hard for any sort of retail to survive in that. Even the McDonalds in the tunnel closed. As midtown and more in-town living gets close to downtown, you may see more things happening retail-wise. As far as restaurants and clubs ... proprietors did their best to make it happen as we ripped away their livelihoods by road construction on pretty much every street in the downtown area plus construction of light rail -- all for the Superbowl (yes, I know they claim we need it but it was to attract a Superbowl and an attempt at an Olympics). Then Midtown burst onto the scene with more upscale nightlife leaving what was left downtown to those who commuted in from the burbs for a night of partying and you sort of wound up with the older teens and barely legal age hanging downtown for the cheaper clubs that were left (with exception of the theatre district and restaurants catering to that venue). Everything is so cyclical here and downtown sort of ran out of fuel shortly after the superbowl as investors went elsewhere. Now, once the entertainment center with House of Blues opens, hopefully that will revive downtown and keep it on the upswing. The tunnels are really a way for office workers to get from bldg. to bldg without having to be out in the elements during hot or inclement weather. Along the way restaurants and limited retail popped up to take advantage of that, but even those restaurants have to survive on a limited revenue of about 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Mon-Fri. only.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,806 times
Well I guess you could take your vistors kayaking in the tunnels.

This was after Tropical Storm Allison

Old 08-17-2008, 10:34 PM

85 posts, read 350,743 times
The tunnels are a major convenience if you work in a building on the tunnel system, but for all practical purposes it is just a hallway.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,005 times
easy way to get from bldg A to bldg b. It is also a good place to meet other corporate rats for lunch. It is one of the only places in town where you don't have to drive to meet up with friends from other companies.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,032 times
The tunnel system is not particularly guest-friendly - as it sort of evolved piece by piece without a master plan.

Every time I go down there, it seems like everyone knows where they are going except me. I have to look at the map periodically to figure out where I am - and keep a mental compass in my mind of which way is north/south/east/west etc.

It is basically a good way to get somewhere without working up a sweat!

Interesting article about lack of accessibility... (broken link)

Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,733 times
I have not been in those tunnels since I was a young child, I am 26 now, nor do I have any urge or reason to go there anymore. Downtown does need more street activity, perhaps the Pavilions will help.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
i know the tunnels may not be all that but dang jfre81, you couldve posted a better photo than that to represent. What you posted was a photo of a connecting walkway. No shops and restaurants in the walkways. Nothing to look at!

Check these ones out- I found them on google.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 08-18-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
i know the tunnels may not be all that but dang jfre81, you couldve posted a better photo than that to represent. What you posted was a photo of a connecting walkway. No shops and restaurants in the walkways. Nothing to look at!
Well, thank you for doing better than I cared to do.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
No problem. That's what i'm here for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston