Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM

925 posts, read 4,715,007 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Is the rate per KW the only sensible measure for the energy companies?

We know that GEXA does not charge anything for transferring the service from one location to another.

What are some other companies charges per KW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,340,720 times
13c with Reliant

Old 08-15-2008, 08:16 AM

>> 13c with Reliant

I have heard some bad stories about Reliant that they rip off and charge for crazy stuff.

How is your experience?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,340,720 times
I love reliant (hehe I'm pretty sure I've said it several times on this board)
Never a problem
From apartment to house with over 2000 sqft I've had bills from 40 - 70 max

Old 08-15-2008, 08:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,721,762 times
My electric company went out of business and I was dumped to Reliant, which was running $0.155/kWh. I switched to Ambit and will be at $0.129 for one month. I'll be forced to switch again when I get the bill or that rate will skyrocket.

Right now Spark is offering $0.141 for 12 months. I've used them before and the are 100% no-nonsense, no-fees, etc. I'm thinking about signing up with them and forgetting it. It might be cheaper to switch every month and then sign something long-term after the holidays, but I don't want my provider to go under again, leaving me in the same situation.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 AM

Default what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
I love reliant (hehe I'm pretty sure I've said it several times on this board)
Never a problem
From apartment to house with over 2000 sqft I've had bills from 40 - 70 max
40-70 dollars!!

NO WAY!

What you don't turn on your AC or something?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 PM

759 posts, read 3,186,518 times
Maybe in winter!
I think my 3 computers and 3 TVs eat up more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
40-70 dollars!!

NO WAY!

What you don't turn on your AC or something?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,853,296 times
We've been with them a few years, was low at first and they just jacked it up to .19. We're going to switch soon...

Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 PM

57 posts, read 414,808 times
I have been very happy with StarTexPower - they currently have rates in the 14.2 range.

I had good luck with Reliant years ago (but left to get a lower rate than they could give). I had a very bad experience with TXU energy - but that's a long story.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,971 times
There was a recent post on my3cents.com telling you "Gexa Energy ... new management... seems good to me..." Do you really think someone is taking the time to say "checked them out and everything seems OK?" The post is a house cleaner from Gexa. They are cleaning complaints off of every site they can. They are gouging people and then trying to keep their name clean with counter posts as more and more people are getting pissed off. There have been lots and lots of people gouged by Gexa Energy crooks. Crooks is the nicest word I have for these jerks. Did you know their CFO - Jeff Harbert - was one of the top guys at Enron? Gexa executives learned how to get rich quick from the University of Enron! I talked about Jeff Herbert on the web site [url=http://www.gexa-gouges.com]Home[/url] and a few weeks later Gexa completely removed his name from their site. Here is his bio - in a government document that they cannot delete - [url]http://www.icc.illinois.gov/downloads/public/edocket/186845.pdf[/url] Research Jeff Harbert and you will see he was way up in Enron. Enron gouges were basically putting people into energy binds where they had to pay the asking jacked up rate with no options.One of Gexa's most "fruitful" practices is to give a competitive short term (6 or 12 month) contract rate. Get you signed up. But you are busy and not used to watching your electrical provider for ripeoffs and you miss the end of the contract term. So they flip you to their "month-to-month" rate - without any notice of any kind - for everyone "without a contract". By the time you finally notice, they've hit you with several month's bills that are double your previous rate. When you call, they reccomend a "meter read" (done by Center Point). You think they are searching for a meter problem but in fact it stalls you another month so they can continue at the the gouging rate. Then they take their time updating you about the results, and the meter read is always OK so by the time you change to another vendor or back to a contract plan, you have paid 3, 4, or 5 months at a gouging ripeoff month-to-month rate.Do the math on your "Gexa Energy Savings". Let's do an example with easy numbers. for this example I purchase the same amount of power each month - 2000 KWHs. Your contract rate was $0.11 per KWH and your contract charge is $220.00 a month. Your contract is for 6 or 12 months. Since you have auto pay you miss the date when your contract ends and you wrongly assume Gexa will contact you to renew on contract end or that the rate would be similar to the contract rate at end. NOT!) So the 3-4 months before you notice the gouge are being billed at $0.21 or more per KWH. (Call them. They will tell you nobody should be on that rate - but THEY ARE THE ONES that put you on it!) So you get maybe 3 bills that are $420, or each about $200 more than the contract rate. If they gouge for only 3 months, that's about $600 extra bucks. If you had a 6 month contract plus 3 months gouge, that is an effective rate of $0.144 for the 9 months - not the $0.11 you thought you were getting!They just made their fat profit on the other end of the contract and you were stuck because you already bought their product! Worse the Texas PUC can't seem to understand the game and so lets them get away with it! Throw in a few disconnect fees, late fees, etc and now you really have a cash cow - your cash, their cow! See [url=http://www.gexa-gouges.com]Home[/url].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: