Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,504 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I currently live in Houston. I have a real estate agent that is also a friend of mine show me a property in Galveston. At the time, I had no idea if I would be able to buy a house in that area. Well a few months later, I was transferred to the Galveston Area. I decided to put my house in Houston up for sale by a local agent I had used before. She offered to sell my house for $500.00, if she could represent me when I bought the new house in Galveston. Well this meant cuting out my friend in Galveston, which I didnt want to do. I asked her if she could do the same deal and she said no, and got very upset with me, and acts like I betrayed her. I tried to tell her that I needed a reduced commision to be able to break even on my Houston House, but she is still upset a week later. Am I doing wrong to cut her out of this deal? All she had done was show me the House a couple of times. No contracts have been written. Now I feel like I have lost a friend, but I dont have the extra 3K in commissions to use her...Any advice on this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,234,814 times
From a Real Estate standpoint, you are mistreating her. She showed you the house in Galveston, she deserves the commission on the sale of that house regardless of what you do with the Houston house.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:21 PM

70 posts, read 340,850 times
Default real estate agent/friend

If you are purchasing the same house in Galveston that your friend/agent showed you, then you are wrong in my opinion. If it's a different home in Galveston that you are buying, then I don't believe you've done anything wrong. Just my 2 cents.....

Old 08-12-2008, 03:07 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,844,258 times
In your defense, you did give your friend the opportunity to "match" the deal the other person offered you. So that would count for something. If you bought a different one in Galveston, then that too would count in your favor.

If you bought the one your friend showed you, I could understand why she would be upset.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:05 PM

35 posts, read 105,993 times
Take it from me NEVER NEVER have a friend, spouse of a co-worker, neighbor or anyone you may have to face in a social or work situation represent you in a real estate transaction. It just leaves the door open for loss of friendship or loss of job. they also have too much access to your personal information which is not adviseable. Also if something is wrong you are reluctant to complain.

You should use the person you want to represent you without worrying. You lost a good friend for 3000$ if that is ok, then go for it. But typically you get what you pay for so be careful. Reduced commission means reduced promotion, advertising, time spent. and attention to doing a job for little commission. Be Careful

Money is always the most important thing right

Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 PM

93 posts, read 418,593 times
How would you feel if you went to work and your boss asked you to take a lower pay and still perform the same job? In my opinion you did the wrong thing. I understand your problem and I don't believe you should lose a friendship over any amount of money. I can't tell you what to do but I would recommend trying to talk with your friend and work things out. And consider the time your friend took out of their day to drive you around and show you houses just to have you work with a different Realtor.

$500 is about what I spend in marketing a listing so like mentioned above, you get what you pay for.

Good luck and I hope you are able to work it out.

~Mark

Old 08-13-2008, 01:13 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,604,028 times
I would have to say put your self in her (Realtor friend) shoes and think about the whole transaction and how it has unfolded. Do you feel this is appropriate, if so then by all means move forward? One side note, I would ask the listing agent what he/she would be providing for $500 in writing when listing your home. You can then gauge what you are really getting for $500.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:41 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,424,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjgl View Post
I need some advice. I currently live in Houston. I have a real estate agent that is also a friend of mine show me a property in Galveston. At the time, I had no idea if I would be able to buy a house in that area. Well a few months later, I was transferred to the Galveston Area. I decided to put my house in Houston up for sale by a local agent I had used before. She offered to sell my house for $500.00, if she could represent me when I bought the new house in Galveston. Well this meant cuting out my friend in Galveston, which I didnt want to do. I asked her if she could do the same deal and she said no, and got very upset with me, and acts like I betrayed her. I tried to tell her that I needed a reduced commision to be able to break even on my Houston House, but she is still upset a week later. Am I doing wrong to cut her out of this deal? All she had done was show me the House a couple of times. No contracts have been written. Now I feel like I have lost a friend, but I dont have the extra 3K in commissions to use her...Any advice on this.....
If your friend showed you the house that you are buying then you should feel OBLIGATED to give her the commission on that sale. Contract or no, it was her credentials as a Real Estate Professional that got you in the door to look at the property. If I was in her shoes I would not speak to you again either. What you did was not illegal but completely unethical if she showed you the property that you are buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston