Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,125 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been fishing there recently..? I have fished there for many and have caught some great fish, but I haven't been there in the last 2 years. The reason is that I have witnessed the jetty being trashed by very disrespectful people. Not everyone was trashing this jetty, but there were enough for me to stop fishing there. Even with trash bins nearby, there were cans, useless fishing tackle, plastic wrappers, even soiled baby diapers, and some stuff I wouldn't want to say up and down the jetty. Not only if the trashing wasn't enough, some people think anything that comes out of the water is theirs. No respect for the fishing laws. If anyone has been there recently I would like to know if there has been any improvement. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
wow.......

what a shame.......

Old 08-03-2008, 06:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
Has anyone been fishing there recently..? I have fished there for many and have caught some great fish, but I haven't been there in the last 2 years. The reason is that I have witnessed the jetty being trashed by very disrespectful people. Not everyone was trashing this jetty, but there were enough for me to stop fishing there. Even with trash bins nearby, there were cans, useless fishing tackle, plastic wrappers, even soiled baby diapers, and some stuff I wouldn't want to say up and down the jetty. Not only if the trashing wasn't enough, some people think anything that comes out of the water is theirs. No respect for the fishing laws. If anyone has been there recently I would like to know if there has been any improvement. Thanks.

Im not familiar with Surfside Jetty but I know who you are referring to. You forgot to mention the worst part of the litter. The spools of spoiled monofiliment fishing line in the shape of a birds nest. Those who leave that around are killing wildlife who will get tangled in it. And those 6 pack plastic holders. I have seen more Ducks getting that wrapped around their neck and choking to death.

Use the damn trash bins provided everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertsun41
Im not familiar with Surfside Jetty but I know who you are referring to. You forgot to mention the worst part of the litter. The spools of spoiled monofiliment fishing line in the shape of a birds nest. Those who leave that around are killing wildlife who will get tangled in it. And those 6 pack plastic holders. I have seen more Ducks getting that wrapped around their neck and choking to death.

Thank you for your comment, and yes I did forget about those items. I just can't understand why some people can't pick up thier own trash. Are they to good and expect others to do it for them or are they just not educated...?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your comment, and yes I did forget about those items. I just can't understand why some people can't pick up thier own trash. Are they to good and expect others to do it for them or are they just not educated...?
Education may be part of it but the main reason is lazyness. And of course the old "who cares if it dont concern me" attitude.

Where is Surfside jettys anyway?

And if you have any good spots you want to share with me you can DM them to me. I love Crystal Beach and know about Rollover Pass. Any good spots in Galveston area? If your ever up Lake Livingston way I can pass you a couple hot spots too.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

and it takes all of about 2 seconds with a knife or scissors to cut all of the circular pieces so that the critters can't get caught in them if they happen to fly out of the trash can on a breezy day.... assuming they ever make it in there in the first place.......

oh.... and people litter like that because they can do it "anonymously," .... in that no one knows who they are...... and there are no repercussions..... cannot remember who said this originally, but the saying comes to mind.... the real measure of a man's (or woman's) character is how they behave when they believe no one is watching......

Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and it takes all of about 2 seconds with a knife or scissors to cut all of the circular pieces so that the critters can't get caught in them if they happen to fly out of the trash can on a breezy day.... assuming they ever make it in there in the first place.......

oh.... and people litter like that because they can do it "anonymously," .... in that no one knows who they are...... and there are no repercussions..... cannot remember who said this originally, but the saying comes to mind.... the real measure of a man's (or woman's) character is how they behave when they believe no one is watching......
Very interesting. I like that saying. Probably because it is true.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originallyposted by desertsun41
Education may be part of it but the main reason is lazyness. And of course the old "who cares if it dont concern me" attitude.

Where is Surfside jettys anyway?

And if you have any good spots you want to share with me you can DM them to me. I love Crystal Beach and know about Rollover Pass. Any good spots in Galveston area? If your ever up Lake Livingston way I can pass you a couple hot spots too.
Surfside is south of Galveston. At the southern end of Galveston island is the San Luis pass. There is a bridge there by the same name. You cross the bridge and keep heading south for a few miles and then you come to Surfside. There's actually a great pier to fish from at the pass. Great for night fishing.

I haven't fished Lake Livingston in 20 years. Used to go there several times with my dad and some friends. Fished the Trinity river many times also, especially when the white bass were spawning. I remember one Feburary catching over 100 white bass in one day (no limit back then). The next day we caught over 100 again, but released them all.

Today, I mostly fish Matagoda island. Friends and I like this area because you can only get there with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. It keeps the trashy folks out (most of the time). It's pretty much a remote area as it takes about an hour to drive down the sandy beach area. You can't go far without a 4x4 are you're gonna get stuck. Kinda like virgin land.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Surfside is south of Galveston. At the southern end of Galveston island is the San Luis pass. There is a bridge there by the same name. You cross the bridge and keep heading south for a few miles and then you come to Surfside. There's actually a great pier to fish from at the pass. Great for night fishing.

I haven't fished Lake Livingston in 20 years. Used to go there several times with my dad and some friends. Fished the Trinity river many times also, especially when the white bass were spawning. I remember one Feburary catching over 100 white bass in one day (no limit back then). The next day we caught over 100 again, but released them all.

Today, I mostly fish Matagoda island. Friends and I like this area because you can only get there with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. It keeps the trashy folks out (most of the time). It's pretty much a remote area as it takes about an hour to drive down the sandy beach area. You can't go far without a 4x4 are you're gonna get stuck. Kinda like virgin land.
Ok the main road ends just before those jettys I think and if you go straight there is a little town. I stopped at some dumpy C-store for something to drink and they directed me to some Quantina Park or something like that. I never found it but I know I was close.

That was about the end of my trip south before heading back. I will explore that area if you say it is nice. There has to be an RV park nearby and I dont mind walking with my surf poles. We sure did enough walking loaded with gear on the Jersey Shore.

Yea they sure do rake in those White Bass at the base of the Lake Livingston Dam. They have these boats with a 2nd story deck and one guy uses a 12' surf rod and casts a country mile. He then hands the rod to the guy below who slowly reels it in while he is handed another 12" surf rod to do it again. Seems so unethical taking so many fish like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston