Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,339 times

Advertisements

I am a professional, college-educated man from the Northeast. Come September, I will be taking the plunge and relocating to Houston without a job. While I have savings, I don't want to tap it extensively during my transition. I am willing to work in a transitional job -- e.g., retail sales -- while I search for something in my career field.

Question: Can anyone recommend rental apartments in safe neighborhoods in Houston or suburbs for $500 to $600 per month?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,757,443 times
You might want to check CL for a room rental. $500 a month isn't going to get you a place outside of a rough area.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,844,804 times
The typical "complex" set up where you have 200 or 300+ units with rents from $500, is not going to be very nice probably. It may also be near other apartment complexes that are not nice too, just not the place to go for bargain rent.

You need to be centrally located & near major employment centers since you do not know where you will be ending up working. I would look at garage apartments and duplex/fourplexes in older areas.

Here is one in Broadmoor, which is okay, not fabulous, but I knew some people that lived there that liked it okay. One of the big Constables, Victor Trevino, lives in Broadmoor and I think he kind of keeps an eye on things.

1566 Munger St, Houston, TX 77023

Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 PM

960 posts, read 2,754,046 times
Yes, my parents own garage apartments in Broadmoor. At $500 -$600, they stay for at least 10 years. Fairly safe and mixed with a curious appeal. I lived there for 10 years, too and always had friends stopping by just because I lived close to downtown - some came from Eastwood to as far as Old Oaks and Friendswood suburbs. Ahh, too many memories and friends we met as city names, Secret Service, CJ, Salad, Shotgun Security. We had a good time and I miss y'all.

Moved away.

Last edited by Bike4Life; 07-27-2008 at 10:49 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,128,735 times
I used to live in Newark, NJ and nothing really bad happened to me personally although bad people tried to steal my Audi 14 times, succeeded on the 15th. by then it was 5 years old and not roadworthy.
anyway, most people here end up finding work in the west/westchase district area so I believe you can find cheap rents there. just don't be an eye candy to thieves

Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,604,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallorder5793 View Post
I am a professional, college-educated man from the Northeast. Come September, I will be taking the plunge and relocating to Houston without a job. While I have savings, I don't want to tap it extensively during my transition. I am willing to work in a transitional job -- e.g., retail sales -- while I search for something in my career field.

Question: Can anyone recommend rental apartments in safe neighborhoods in Houston or suburbs for $500 to $600 per month?

Thank you.
Try looking at craigslist.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,281,108 times
I stay in Meadowridge Apartments and pay 510.00 per month just south of the medical center across from Reliant Stadium. Its not really bad of an area. My apartments are gated and a 5 min drive from the Medical Center, 7 minute drive from downtown, and 5 minutes from Uptown/Galleria.

See you don't have to give up an arm and a leg to stay in them high profile, high rent properties inside of the loop. I'm living quite good and just renewed my lease.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 PM

564 posts, read 2,048,128 times
You'll have a bit more success and options if you're willing to get to $600, but as C2H pointed out, there are areas in the city proper that you can hit with $500/$525/mo and be in a decent neighborhood, with most of the amenities that you'll need starting out in a new and big city. Take your time and shop, though, and wherever you move, even if it's in the suburbs, don't just assume safety. As Wizzy said, don't be a visible target by being careless. It's the city, after all. Odds are you'll be absolutely fine but be cautious just the same.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,037,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
The typical "complex" set up where you have 200 or 300+ units with rents from $500, is not going to be very nice probably. It may also be near other apartment complexes that are not nice too, just not the place to go for bargain rent.

You need to be centrally located & near major employment centers since you do not know where you will be ending up working. I would look at garage apartments and duplex/fourplexes in older areas.

Here is one in Broadmoor, which is okay, not fabulous, but I knew some people that lived there that liked it okay. One of the big Constables, Victor Trevino, lives in Broadmoor and I think he kind of keeps an eye on things.

1566 Munger St, Houston, TX 77023

Wow Modster - that is a cozy looking duplex - I like it - you seem to find all the nice looking little spots - are you in the real estate biz or just a side interest for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston