Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,728,744 times

Advertisements

I think they use heating oil up there in the NE, and filling those tanks can get very expensive. At least here it's month-to-month where up there you get slammed all at once for a fillup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,126,714 times
FYI Heating and hot water and water is FREE in apartments in the NE

Old 07-28-2008, 12:32 PM

332 posts, read 1,325,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
FYI Heating and hot water and water is FREE in apartments in the NE
Nothing is free. If you're renting, then you're still paying for it -- apartment owners / investors aren't running a charity.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
Nothing is free. If you're renting, then you're still paying for it -- apartment owners / investors aren't running a charity.
I suggest you get some first hand experience on what the world is like outside Texas and other places you've been to. Out there, they probably screw people in different ways but people don't get screwed on basic necessities. Texan's paying for everything coop experience doesn't really apply everywhere. In NJ, we didn't have maintenance dues or anything outside our low rents. We have parking space, mobile security, intercom, free maintenance, free appliances/new replacements, free water and heat, free lawncare, general cleanliness and building maintenance, free snowblowing, street plowing, etc sometimes you can even find facilities with a free ride to train stations. They do have window AC for rent if needed. who's paying for it? i dont think its me. but if you want to believe there is an equivalent expense in the NE to every overpriced basic necessity in TX then I cannot help you there. They're not trying to be charitable, apartment owners have heart, decency and selflessness outside Texas. Over here in Houston youre just used to bending over.

ever wonder why little Galveston beach is so dirty while the whole oceanside of the NE region is combed and clean? Classic case of bending over.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM

332 posts, read 1,325,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I suggest you get some first hand experience on what the world is like outside Texas and other places you've been to. Out there, they probably screw people in different ways but people don't get screwed on basic necessities. Texan's paying for everything coop experience doesn't really apply everywhere. In NJ, we didn't have maintenance dues or anything outside our low rents. We have parking space, mobile security, intercom, free maintenance, free appliances/new replacements, free water and heat, free lawncare, general cleanliness and building maintenance, free snowblowing, street plowing, etc sometimes you can even find facilities with a free ride to train stations. They do have window AC for rent if needed. who's paying for it? i dont think its me. but if you want to believe there is an equivalent expense in the NE to every overpriced basic necessity in TX then I cannot help you there. They're not trying to be charitable, apartment owners have heart, decency and selflessness outside Texas. Over here in Houston youre just used to bending over.

ever wonder why little Galveston beach is so dirty while the whole oceanside of the NE region is combed and clean? Classic case of bending over.
I have plenty of first-hand experience with the world outside Houston. I wasn't born here, in fact I was born in Canada. I have relocated many times inside the U.S. as well as internationally. I'll concede to you that you probably know more about the rental situation since it sounds like that is what you've chosen. The only thing I've rented since I went to college is a car.

If you are so unhappy, just move. Life is too short to be hostage to a situation where you're miserable. I hated living in the mid-west for example, and the opportunity to move again couldn't come fast enough.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
I have plenty of first-hand experience with the world outside Houston. I wasn't born here, in fact I was born in Canada. I have relocated many times inside the U.S. as well as internationally. I'll concede to you that you probably know more about the rental situation since it sounds like that is what you've chosen. The only thing I've rented since I went to college is a car.

If you are so unhappy, just move. Life is too short to be hostage to a situation where you're miserable. I hated living in the mid-west for example, and the opportunity to move again couldn't come fast enough.
huh?? a message for the OP perhaps? if not, stay on topic please

Old 08-06-2008, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 21,484 times
I nearly passed out when I opened my latest electricity bill from Tara. $985.00!!! I think
I am paying 20 cents kwh and being robbed. I don't understand all the double talk the companies put on their information papers. I never knew you could "lock in" any rate so I guess I didn't do that. Anyway, I am getting screwed and probably should have stayed with Reliant and would have been better off. I am not happy!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,728,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie314 View Post
I nearly passed out when I opened my latest electricity bill from Tara. $985.00!!! I think
I am paying 20 cents kwh and being robbed. I don't understand all the double talk the companies put on their information papers. I never knew you could "lock in" any rate so I guess I didn't do that. Anyway, I am getting screwed and probably should have stayed with Reliant and would have been better off. I am not happy!!!

Ok, if you are billed $985 and are at $0.20 per kWh, you used about 4900 kWh. Sounds like you screwed yourself living in that house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston