Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
As I drive through Cinco, the only thing that I wish we had is a mall like the woodlands, and it is my understanding that once the 99 project kicks in, we'll start seeing some progress there.
The Grand has been on the drawing boards for 15-20 years--seems more like a mirage as the years go by especially with the financial markets right now. I'd expect the new owners of West Oaks Mall finishing renovating/rebuilding that place into Memorial City's level happening sooner than The Grand (ever) being built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,387 times
Hey thanks so much for all your responses. We ultimately decided against Houston and moved to Dallas!!!!! We live on the border of McKinney/Frisco! I really like it here, been here for 6 months!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,360 times
Hello All:

This forum is a couple years old now, with no activity, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on the Cinco/Woodlands comparison issue.

My wife and I are considering both areas, and all your comments have been very helpful.

I like the idea of all the trees in The Woodlands because we are from southern California... Palm Springs... which is incredibly beautiful... but no "woods" which we miss from our Pennsylvania roots.

However, reading comparisons, for some reason the AIR QUALITY of The Woodlands is rated much worse than Cinco.

=====
The Woodlands, TX air quality index is a median value which considers the most hazardous air pollutants. The The Woodlands, TX air quality index is 40.9% greater than the Texas average and 45.9% greater than the national average.

The The Woodlands, TX pollution index is the sum of the most hazardous air pollutants displayed in pounds. The The Woodlands, TX pollution index is 1441% greater than the Texas average and 962.1% greater than the national average.
=====

I assume this is simply because of its proximity to Houston, but is it apparent? Smog? Air smell bad?

And now for Cinco:

=====
The Cinco Ranch, TX air quality index is a median value which considers the most hazardous air pollutants. The Cinco Ranch, TX air quality index is 40.9% greater than the Texas average and 45.9% greater than the national average.

(SAME AS THE WOODLANDS REPORT), but...

The Cinco Ranch, TX pollution index is the sum of the most hazardous air pollutants displayed in pounds. The Cinco Ranch, TX pollution index is 72.5% less than the Texas average (whereas the Woodlands=1441% GREATER) and 81.1% less than the national average (whereas The Woodlands=962% GREATER).
=====

Can anyone account for the difference? Both Cinco and The Woodlands are ~30 miles from Houston, of course. Are there many pollution sources INSIDE The Woodlands? It's confounding... at least to me. ;-)

Many thanks!
Eric

Last edited by Yac; 11-04-2020 at 06:16 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 PM

11 posts, read 20,079 times
Don't believe it. There is simply no way. The further you get from the Ship Channel and Texas City, the better. They must have bad data.

Last edited by Yac; 11-04-2020 at 06:16 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 04:32 AM

11 posts, read 20,079 times
BTW-- According to the site you are looking at, Baytown and Texas City have better air quality than The Woodlands! Texas city is one of the most polluted cities on the planet. It is refinery town. Something is definitely wrong with their data.

Here is the EPA data:

American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX

But it groups the entire metro area together.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,078 times
Though realize you can't necessarily see or smell what might hurt you, I am often outside exercising and have never noticed any overt pollution in TW. The Woodlands itself has virtually no manufacturing, and in the immediate surrounding areas it is limited (especially in contrast to the coast).

Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Though realize you can't necessarily see or smell what might hurt you, I am often outside exercising and have never noticed any overt pollution in TW. The Woodlands itself has virtually no manufacturing, and in the immediate surrounding areas it is limited (especially in contrast to the coast).
Many gas guzzlers tho

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Many gas guzzlers tho
More than other parts of the Houston area?? I don't think so.....

Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,761 times
Default Relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonieB View Post
Hi Jessnboys,

My family is also relocating to The Woodlands next month from Weston, FL. We looked into Katy and other places as well and also feel that the atmosphere in The Woodlands is more upscale and offers more all around as far as amenities.

We bought a resale, though it's only 2 1/2 yrs old in the neighborhood of Pepperdale in Sterling Ridge. One thing of interest to you may be that on the newer side there are less trees than the older side. I don't know if that will make a difference to you. Also, Pepperdale and another neighborhood (which name escapes me just now) have larger than average lot sizes. I was told this by the builder who built our home. If you want a contact person to speak to at Village Builders you can email me privately and I'll give you info. Most likely the school(s) your children would go to (if you were to live in Sterling Ridge) are either Coulson Tough or Deretchin, both exemplary.

As far as ongoing construction goes, there is actually still a good amount of construction going on in several Sterling Ridge neighborhoods, but we opted to buy in an already established one to avoid the noise etc. It may take a little longer to find the right fit if you're picky about that, but it's well worth it. For example, we wanted a large home AND a large lot that was not facing a main road and although we drove our realtor nuts and it took a little longer, we found exactly what we were looking for.

If you've already been to The Woodlands and loved it then you'll feel even better about it the next time you go. Good luck on your home search!

I am moving from Weston, FL to Houston area this year and I am in love with the woodlands area! The green reminds me of home! But all our friends live out in Katy and I don't want to isolate ourselves from them! What would you say are the pros and cons to moving to the woodlands as opposed to Katy!?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 AM

45 posts, read 99,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catafortich08 View Post
I am moving from Weston, FL to Houston area this year and I am in love with the woodlands area! The green reminds me of home! But all our friends live out in Katy and I don't want to isolate ourselves from them! What would you say are the pros and cons to moving to the woodlands as opposed to Katy!?
If your friends live in Katy and you move to the Woodlands, you'll never see them. That's a day trip. The equivalent of driving across some states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston