Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:43 PM

106 posts, read 307,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Nope there are bad parts in both cities...The immediate NE section of Houston is BAD, so is the Hobby area, the SW area (gulfton, sharpstown, Alief) But there are probably the same number of bad areas in Dallas too.

By immediate NE do you mean the northeast corner inside the loop or does that include the northeast corner that would be enclosed by the beltway if it was a complete loop? So like the southern portion of Humble I guess.

Just asking for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,156,118 times
Overall, Dallas has a worse crime rate, period. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with all the density of their highly praised fashion boutiques. (Where there's business there's crime.) However, crime is everywhere and as long as a city has a crime rate, it has crime victims, and as others have said there are bad neighborhoods in both.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:54 PM

759 posts, read 3,189,079 times
I am talking inside the loop towards beltway 8...Isn't that 5th Ward /Acres Homes housing project area????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post
By immediate NE do you mean the northeast corner inside the loop or does that include the northeast corner that would be enclosed by the beltway if it was a complete loop? So like the southern portion of Humble I guess.

Just asking for clarification.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 AM

20,530 posts, read 33,629,827 times
on SSP, they are tracking urban crimes specifically murders so far this year. And right now Dallas is actually safer than Houston when you look at that perspective. I put Miami-Dade county as well in there just for a comparison.

As of June 25, 2008- Dallas has 50 murders pop 1.3 million
As of June 28, 2008- Houston has 161 murders pop 2.145 million
As of July 2, 2008- Miami-Dade County has 136 murders pop 2.5 million

Now I know murders don't nearly tell everything and most murders deal with someone knowing someone. But I've read that the property crimes are also higher in Houston than in Dallas so far this year. Murders would not stop me from moving to any city. I was shot in Chicago but still want to live in that area badly. Most of Houston is safe just be careful in some areas.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 AM

564 posts, read 2,048,549 times
NE Houston crime, as a percentage, is worse from south of Crosstimbers to the Baytown East Freeway and from Hardy east to Homestead Road. A lot of it centered in the Kashmere area, as there is a handful of housing projects and low-income apartment complexes that suffer drug dealing and gang activity. Also some property crime in the working class residential areas. We're talking about roughly 25-30 square miles of roughly suburban to semi-rural areas of the city.

Crime stats are worse, though, in the Fondren SW area, a roughly 4 square mile area in far SW Houston. There are pockets of rough areas in SE Houston, like just outside the Loop on Broadway or in Sunnyside near the 288 freeway but they're still relatively tame compared to Fondren SW.

Greenspoint in far north Houston used to have the worst crime rate in the city back in the 90s but crime has fallen some there although it's still pretty high relative to the rest of the city.

As most people have said, both cities have areas with high crime rates but also a number of areas that are generally pretty safe. In fact, in both cities, the highest crime rates are found in areas with a high concentration of low-income apartment complexes such as those found in Fondren SW or the Gulfton/Sharpstown area in Houston or Vickery Meadows, Pleasant Grove and South and North Oak Cliff in Dallas.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 AM

106 posts, read 307,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
I am talking inside the loop towards beltway 8...Isn't that 5th Ward /Acres Homes housing project area????
Thanks for the clarification, I am not familiar with that part of Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
NE Houston crime, as a percentage, is worse from south of Crosstimbers to the Baytown East Freeway and from Hardy east to Homestead Road. A lot of it centered in the Kashmere area, as there is a handful of housing projects and low-income apartment complexes that suffer drug dealing and gang activity. Also some property crime in the working class residential areas. We're talking about roughly 25-30 square miles of roughly suburban to semi-rural areas of the city.

Crime stats are worse, though, in the Fondren SW area, a roughly 4 square mile area in far SW Houston. There are pockets of rough areas in SE Houston, like just outside the Loop on Broadway or in Sunnyside near the 288 freeway but they're still relatively tame compared to Fondren SW.

Greenspoint in far north Houston used to have the worst crime rate in the city back in the 90s but crime has fallen some there although it's still pretty high relative to the rest of the city.
Thanks for that detail- I was able to look that up on a map and get a clearer idea of the NE area you were referring to.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,319,954 times
Dallas Dallas Dallas hands down.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,865,067 times
Statistically, Dallas has higher crime.

That being said, I had much more problem with crime when I lived in Austin than in Houston. All were robbery/assault. Must have been bad luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: