Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,551 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here, and I've lived all over--Boston, Portland, Los Angeles, Chicago, and I have to say--I have never experienced racism against Asians as bad as I have here. What is going on? I'll get it from the African-American woman at the grocery store, the white elderly security guard at work, the young latino at the post office--what is the problem? I'm not rude or impolite, nor do I look for racism, but it's hard to miss when you're the only one paying more for your services or the last one waiting in line when everyone else has been served first. Is Houston just a backwards dump passing itself off as a modern metropolitan city? I think I made a big mistake moving here.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,793,548 times
My wife and her family are Asian and none of them has ever experienced any racism in Houston. What part of the city do you live in?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,270,756 times
Racism in Houston does exist, I will not deny that; but I just find it hard to credit that you are having such a bad time. Maybe it is not racism at all, but your own attitude, especially if you consider Houston a backwards dump. Possibly you are just unhappy and are projecting onto others. One can be polite and still have an attitude. Half of my family is asian (Korean) and we have never experienced the problems you describe except very rarely. Of course the Korean half of my family came here at a pretty early age or were born here and pretty much grew up here.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 PM

958 posts, read 2,584,923 times
I'm asian,and I've lived here all my life.
Like the poster above, I have experienced racism of some kind but it doesn't bother me one bit.

Frankly I think your way to sensitive about the whole thing and butch up.

Ignore them if you think their discriminating against you.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,864,997 times
Any particular part of town where you experience this? Or is it all over?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 PM

283 posts, read 1,285,238 times
Quote:
I recently moved here, and I've lived all over--Boston, Portland, Los Angeles, Chicago, and I have to say--I have never experienced racism against Asians as bad as I have here. What is going on? I'll get it from the African-American woman at the grocery store, the white elderly security guard at work, the young latino at the post office--what is the problem? I'm not rude or impolite, nor do I look for racism, but it's hard to miss when you're the only one paying more for your services or the last one waiting in line when everyone else has been served first.
We ALL get that sort of service at some time or another but it certainly is not racism and most certainly not aimed at your race. Asians are very well accepted here and most all of them will vouch for that.

Quote:
I think I made a big mistake moving here.
You probably did. I doubt you'd be happy ANY place. Can I help you pack?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,642,283 times
How's your accent?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:19 PM

655 posts, read 2,210,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post

You probably did. I doubt you'd be happy ANY place. Can I help you pack?
Was that really necessary?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:30 PM

9,000 posts, read 11,891,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phedre View Post
I recently moved here, and I've lived all over--Boston, Portland, Los Angeles, Chicago, and I have to say--I have never experienced racism against Asians as bad as I have here. What is going on? I'll get it from the African-American woman at the grocery store, the white elderly security guard at work, the young latino at the post office--what is the problem? I'm not rude or impolite, nor do I look for racism, but it's hard to miss when you're the only one paying more for your services or the last one waiting in line when everyone else has been served first. Is Houston just a backwards dump passing itself off as a modern metropolitan city? I think I made a big mistake moving here.
You need to be more specific. What exactly did you get from the African-American woman, the white elderly security guard and the young Latino? Did you get the finger, the look, name calling, etc?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,133,362 times
Geeze, ANOTHER racism thread...just what this forum needs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston