Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times

Advertisements

I know there is really no 100% way to tell what the insurance costs in areas without an address but I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing what they pay for both insurances.

My wife and I are looking to move down to Houston but fear that while the housing costs are excellent, the property tax is outrageously high and that combined with high insurances will make it impossible for us to live.

currently our homeowners insurance runs $600 a year and our auto insurance is $110 a month for full coverage on an 04 Ranger and an 04 Corrolla.

Can anyone give me some examples ?

Edit: Do you have to carry Flood and Hurricane insurance ? I know we had to have them in Florida and not everyone wanted to write that policy and if they did it was astronomically high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
Insurance varies quite a bit depending on which area of Houston you live. For example I live in Kingwood fairly far inland and pay $800/yr for insurance+flood whereas my co-worker has a house worth half as much as mine on the coast and he pays $2400/yr. I would suggest getting flood no matter where you live due to hurricane possibilities.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 PM

410 posts, read 1,682,631 times
currently our homeowners insurance runs $600 a year and our auto insurance is $110 a month for full coverage on an 04 Ranger and an 04 Corrolla.

Can anyone give me some examples ?

Edit: Do you have to carry Flood and Hurricane insurance ? I know we had to have them in Florida and not everyone wanted to write that policy and if they did it was astronomically high.[/quote]

I live on the northside of town (Spring) we pay around $1300 for a homeowners policy and around $325 for flood insurance, annually. Although we aren't required to carry flood insurance, I tend to sleep better knowing we have it.

Our car insurance is crazy expensive.... as we have two male kids under 25. Can't bear to even go there. Sunny

Old 06-18-2008, 07:35 PM

62 posts, read 197,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post

Edit: Do you have to carry Flood and Hurricane insurance ? I know we had to have them in Florida and not everyone wanted to write that policy and if they did it was astronomically high.
I was wondering the same thing today while reserching...

Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 PM

So when I move to Texas I can look to spend about 3-4 times the amount of homeowners insurance I currently pay, probably double the auto insurance I currently pay (depending on where we settle), and roughly 3-5k more per year on property taxes...

good to know...

I appreciate the information

Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 PM

410 posts, read 1,682,631 times
Quote:
So when I move to Texas I can look to spend about 3-4 times the amount of homeowners insurance I currently pay, probably double the auto insurance I currently pay (depending on where we settle), and roughly 3-5k more per year on property taxes...

good to know...

I appreciate the information

One wee bit more...Harris County property taxes are generally higher then Montgomery County. (I'm thinking the car and homeowners will be lower there also.) So perhaps look outside of Harris County.Good Luck...Sunny

Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
One wee bit more...Harris County property taxes are generally higher then Montgomery County. (I'm thinking the car and homeowners will be lower there also.) So perhaps look outside of Harris County.Good Luck...Sunny
I was thinking about Waller County, do you know anything about Waller County ?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:21 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
Quote:
Thats far NW outside of Houston. I doubt taxes and insurance there will be very expensive.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Thats far NW outside of Houston. I doubt taxes and insurance there will be very expensive.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:05 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,049 times
Quote:
My auto insurance didn't change very much at all when we moved to NE Waller County in early 2002 and didn't change when we moved back to Harris County in late 2006. The property taxes are definitely lower in Waller County (I'm talking County taxes only - not the ISD taxes, which were roughly the same). Homeowner's insurance - I can't compare that because we had a mobile home in Waller County and those tend to be more expensive to insure.

One thing about Waller County is that parts (most?) of it falls outside of the deregulation business for your electric. The rates were HALF of what we pay here in Harris County..... something else to consider. Believe me, it can make a huge difference in your bill.

HTH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston