Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 PM

26 posts, read 126,804 times

Advertisements

Hello yall it seems like the south side of I10 is nicer than the north area. The houses seem more expensive though. How bad is the north side? Is there alot of problems in Katy, as far as crime, gangs, etc. Thank you were moving from California and have four children so location is Key, Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 21,594 times
We just moved from the north side of Katy (off Barker Cypress road) to the south side of Katy (Cinco Ranch). We lived on the north side for 12 years I was a teacher in a title one school in northwest Katy for three years before I had children. We have 3 boys. Two of them attended school at Schmalz Elementary for kindergarden and first grade, (the other boy is only 2 years old). We were very happy with the school. We had wonderful teachers and we were very pleased with the entire staff and how the school was run!! I believe in Katy ISD you will receive an excellent education no matter which school you attend because of the high expectations and planned curriculum . The school I taught at was excellent too and I feel qualified to tell you these schools were excellent because I taught at one and was a parent at another so I have seen the schools from two different views. I even think the title one schools may give your children "extra" because they have extra programs to reach out to disadvantaged groups. Everyone at the school benefits from these programs. The teachers work very hard to help the children on the standardized testing which will be harder for those who are at a disadvantage. However, I do think there is more "crime" or possible "gang" activity north of I-10. When the test scores came out for the high schools we noticed that Cinco Ranch High School was ranked 5th out of Houston area high schools where Mayde Creek was ranked 50 something. So since we are so close to one of the best preforming schools in the Houston area, why not give our children the best we can? I agree that the test scores are not the end all. But if that's what colleges are looking for when they accept students or award scholarships, then I will seek out the high school with the best test scores. So in summary, any school in Katy will give your student a quality education, but I would re-think my choice when it comes to the high school level. (Some new schools were not ranked yet ...Seven Lakes H.S., Morton Ranch H.S., etc.) If your children are young you could live on the north side (but Fry Rd traffic is the pitts!) and then think of possibly re-locating later.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,833 times
Default I agree with Christi105

We live on the south side of I10 in Governor's Place sub-division. My son attended West Memorial Elem & Jr High, then Katy High School. All are good schools with outstanding teachers. But, if you can afford it, Cinco Ranch is the place to be.
We paid 120k for our 4bdrm, 2bath home 5 years ago. We did have to put about 15k into remodeling, but still got a great deal.
Good luck in your search!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 32,944 times
Hello, I have lived in Cinco Ranch for 5 years. I am on the neighborhood watch. I suggest everyone get on the neighborhood in your area. Cinco Ranch has a lots of breaking into homes and cars. Several robbers has been caught by neighbors seeing things out of order and calling it in. Cinco (harris) has a different constable to call and Cinco (ft bend) have a different constable to call. The respond is much better from a year ago. Robberies exist at reataurants parking lots, Walgreens, and shopping centers area.The contact constable for the Cinco (harris) is 281-463-6666. I live on the Cinco (Harris) get with the constables or Katy Police and help protect your family and property. Yes it is all kinds of things going on all over Katy. If we all take a part and take charge we will have a better neighborhood to live in. If you would like to know all the things that are going on in Cinco and Seven Lakes call your police or constables. Check with your area to see who is over the neighborhood watch. I will ask our leader if it will be ok to give out his email and I will post it if it is ok with him. Please pray and ask God to protect us all. Please look into getting an alarm system, it has help several teen agers this summer from getting their homes broken into this summer. The robbers are looking for any thing of value.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:32 AM

2 posts, read 32,944 times
Good Luck and my God be with you

Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,841 times
Ok I just would like to clarify for the OP...yes stuff happens in north and south Katy but the level of crime in Cinco is negligible. That last poster makes it sound like we live in the ghetto or something. It's nothing like that. The Harris county side of Cinco might be a little tougher, at least in perception, but the Fort Bend county side has been virtually untouched in the almost two years I've been living here.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 PM

443 posts, read 1,792,929 times
There are a lot of snobs out there who think the South side of I-10 is better than that North. I'm one of those snobs.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 29,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
There are a lot of snobs out there who think the South side of I-10 is better than that North. I'm one of those snobs.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 AM

410 posts, read 1,495,044 times
I currently live on the North side of Katy.......It's not bad but I guess it depends what subdivison/area to live in. I live near Westfield, Silvermill and Baker's Ridge I don't have any issues. (They are off of Greenhouse and Morton/Fry Rd).

There are alot of people on this forum that are strictly for the "South Side" of Katy.......If you are adjusted to living in a more upper scale neighborhood you might not like the "North Side" but I grew up on the south side of Chicago in a "Middle Class/Working" neighborhood so I have no issues here. Some of the South Side is newer therefore considered more appealing versus the North side.

Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:28 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
The homes on the south side are usually larger and newer - not taking into account a few that differ on both sides. Therefore, they are going to more expensive. I prefer the south because it is prettier and the homes nicer. That does not mean the north is a ghetto. You also have to look at each subdivision on the north side on its own. I don't like Silvermill due to the large number of duplexes in that subdivision, which translates into a lesser number of homeowners and more renters. There are some nice, stable little subdivisions on the north side. They are a lot less expensive, also. An older subdivision you might check on the south side is West Memorial - they tend to be 2000 square feet and under - but you can get in for $125K and less. They will appreciate more in the next few years in comparison to a similiar house on the north side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston