Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 08:00 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Why on earth should anyone ready anything from a source that has an overwhelming agenda to spin things? That goes for Wide Awake America or the Huffington Post.
What part do you think is being spun exactly? You can read all about the WEF on their own website or from hearing their leaders speak. They are not exactly trying to hide anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 08:23 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What part do you think is being spun exactly? You can read all about the WEF on their own website or from hearing their leaders speak. They are not exactly trying to hide anything.
You didn't read the tweet in reply 5 did you?

Old 08-31-2023, 08:35 AM

There has been talk about governments capping the number of flights, getting rid of private car ownership (they want people to share cars), “you’ll own nothing and be happy” is a slogan that the WEF created.

You are right. I didn’t read that tweet. I have read it now. Might be a bit hyperbolical but what part do you think is not true?

Old 08-31-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
There has been talk about governments capping the number of flights, getting rid of private car ownership (they want people to share cars), “you’ll own nothing and be happy” is a slogan that the WEF created.

You are right. I didn’t read that tweet. I have read it now. Might be a bit hyperbolical but what part do you think is not true?
What is hyperbolic is the OP. The phrase, "youll own nothing and be happy" came from a Danish politicians who happened to be part of the WEF, it is not a slogan the WEF created.

If you think for a moment Houston is going to ban private car ownership, I don't know that one can really have a conversation about this.

The C40 plan is another pie in the sky outline that has no hope of being fully implemented anywhere. That does not mean that there aren't good parts of it. Its trash and treasure and I think it is disingenuous to pick out the trash and turn it into an dystopian conspiracy theory. Consuming more fruits and vegetables, which this plan calls for, is a great thing for us humans. But in the end, that is going to be a personal choice. Driving less is great for the environment, but that is going to be a personal choice. Bill Gates is not going to be banning cars (as was alluded to in that Tweet). He doesn't have that power.

Climate Change is real. It isn't up for debate. But I will call out my side of the political aisle because, now that we in the developed world did all kinds of horrible things to the environment to become prosperous, we look at the developing world and say "you shouldn't do all the things we did".

In the end, fighting climate change is as much about economics, technology, and engineering as it is carbon reduction. After all, if you take away someone's ability to provide for themselves, they will never be open to addressing climate change. My side of the political aisle does often forget that.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:05 AM

I have nothing against people making personal choices to be healthy or combat climate change or what have you. That is not the vibe I get from the WEF. We will see. I agree that the idea of Houston ever trying to get rid of cars is ridiculous… and there would be a war over it if it came down to it I think, as dumb as it sounds

Old 08-31-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I have nothing against people making personal choices to be healthy or combat climate change or what have you. That is not the vibe I get from the WEF. We will see. I agree that the idea of Houston ever trying to get rid of cars is ridiculous… and there would be a war over it if it came down to it I think, as dumb as it sounds
Why grow an ulcer over something that will never happen?

Old 08-31-2023, 10:59 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,469,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Nobody is taking away your cheeseburger and gas stove.
Which will soon turn to "nobody is taking away your cheeseburger and you can cook it on your induction stove which is better than gas anyway so quit complaining about losing your gas stove" which will soon turn to "those vegetarian burgers almost taste just like real meat burgers when you cook them on your induction stove so quit complaining just because your hamburger doesn't have rotting bovine corpse in it".

Old 08-31-2023, 11:45 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Which will soon turn to "nobody is taking away your cheeseburger and you can cook it on your induction stove which is better than gas anyway so quit complaining about losing your gas stove" which will soon turn to "those vegetarian burgers almost taste just like real meat burgers when you cook them on your induction stove so quit complaining just because your hamburger doesn't have rotting bovine corpse in it".
You better step up your prepper activities and stock up on cow in your bomb shelter, in that case. Sounds like a real threat.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:38 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Oh look, sewage from the politics forum has spilled over to pollute the Houston forum. How cute- and predictable.

BTW what kind of pharmaceuticals are you people on that make you so gullible and paranoid?

If none, what kinds of infirms are you dealing with?

I ask because I'm 46 and not getting any younger... and those are serious questions.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Why grow an ulcer over something that will never happen?
That's how I see it.

As usual both sides are ridiculous.
I hate driving, but I love being driven.
I love having the option to move around on public transit, but it's not the be all and end all of everything like some make it out to be.

Both sides have legit arguments but both sides are as pig headed about it.

1. One side puts down transit because they don't ride it, but they don't realize that the more people who use transit means less people will be clogging up the roads.

2. The other side puts down cities that are not heavily PT oriented as being less than. Transit has its benefits but having didn't equal luxious. If you think about it, which is more luxurious, driving to work in your own climate controlled environment with the ability to listen to whatever you choose, or sitting next to a homeless bum who won't stop talking to you.

People dig down on their sides and are just unwilling to negotiate. We don't need a complete ban on beef or dairy, we need to make alternatives more attractive. We don't need to ban short haul flights, but cheaper more convenient alternatives will naturally reduce their frequency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: