Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Remember when we talk about great income regarding pipers, it's due to massive overtime.
Pipers are making $100K+ a year without OT. I have seen PDMS/PDS offers for contract workers at $80/hr.

I second your hope that we will all still be here 5 years from now. At the moment I am enjoying the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:28 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,566 times
as a structural designer for a large engineering company here in west houston, Im making $80 an hour range... with 1.5 OT...

electrical design makes about the same and piping designers making $5-10 an hour more with pretty much unlimited OT.

engineers make less than designers.

Im also hoping for 5+ years, if houston can get some new'clear work, we'll be set till retirement

Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,009 times
Work in oil. Stay away from the space business. Our salary is crap compared to our oil counterparts. But I think we have more fun though.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,188 times
Default Looking for Medical Software job in Houston

I'm planning to move to downtown Houston in the next month or so, relocating from WI. I've been working for a medical software company as a Technical Services representative/Software Implementor for a little over a year and am currently making ~$55K. I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in General/Industrial Engineering Systems. Are there plenty of comparable jobs that would fit my description? Does anyone have suggestions on where I could apply?

Thanks for your advice!

Old 07-23-2008, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,758 times
There are plenty jobs in Houston for engineers. Most positions are related to the oil/gas, construction industry. Central Texas area will probably have more opportunities for an engineer with a manufacturing background.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
If you are an engineer, there is likely a job in Houston for you. Companies are paying for people w limited experience <5 years north of 70K. If you want to go offshore its six figures easily.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 PM

11 posts, read 38,572 times
I am a civil engineer with land development, utility, project management, and scheduling experience (yes I have a PE). I would like to get into the oil sector but have no clue as to how to go about doing it. Anybody have ideas for me? (I'll probably start my own thread topic, but figured I would start here first)

TIA

Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM

70 posts, read 430,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If you are an engineer, there is likely a job in Houston for you. Companies are paying for people w limited experience <5 years north of 70K. If you want to go offshore its six figures easily.
Where can I find more info on offshore engineering? Do any of you have company names or a suggestion on where to post a resume? Thanks.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 44,258 times
i'm planning to relocate in Houston....i have 10years experience in HVAC design and project management of Cleanroom, can you please let me know what place in Houston i can get a good job even though i dont have Mech. Engineering license yet here in USA?

Btw, i started to work in NY this Feb. 2008 after getting my work permit. I have my Mechanical Engineering License in my country (unfortunately it's not accredited here in USA).

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: