Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 17,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
What price range house would you be looking at?
Probably something under 200k so I don't have to worry too much about the mortgage. Would be great if it's near a nice park for the kids and dogs to play.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM

43 posts, read 89,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htothefro View Post
Probably something under 200k so I don't have to worry too much about the mortgage. Would be great if it's near a nice park for the kids and dogs to play.

We're moving from San Diego although grew up in Dallas. I would definitely visit Sienna Plantation on your visit to the Houston area. There are 3 water parks, trails, tree-lined streets. Tons of kids outdoors playing. The houses start at about $150,000 and go all the way up into the millions. We're purchasing a $250K home on a cul-de-sac. I really love the neighborhood. I love living inside the city but for our price range (250K), we had to look in the burbs for a nice and new, big home and good sized yard. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM

7,900 posts, read 11,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htothefro View Post
thanks, that was very insightful. How's the crime rate out there? Would you feel safe walking your dogs at night?

We're thinking of going out there for a weekend visit. What neighborhoods should we visit? Which part of town should we stay away from?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
There are places in any location where you would not feel safe walking at night even with a dog. Ask your question to people from Ca to get a good gage. I lived in Houston for 33 years in total and had no safety issues and could do what I wanted when I wanted and had great experienced with the people... but than again that is what I expect so that is what I find.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,774,185 times
I would check out Kingwood and the Woodlands then Katy.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,142,591 times
Houston was never on my radar. When it came up as an option, I had the same reaction as plaidfrogg, "Uh, no". But with a brother dead-set on staying here and parents who want to retire here, it seemed like the smart move to make in terms of being near family with 8-month olds.

I've been honest in all my posts about moving here - the adjustment was horrible but I think a lot of that was feeling so isolated as a SAHM with 2 babies. I made virtually no one in the first 2 yrs we were here and I'm a pretty friendly gal!

We're in Sienna Plantation now and while I can't say that I "love" being in the Houston area yet, if I had to do it all over again I'd still pick Sienna over anywhere else. We've made a lot of great friends here and I found my current job through a Sienna network. I wouldn't have found this particular job living anywhere else because my boss lived here.

I've thought about the idea of moving back to SoCal in theory; we can't afford to move back there at this point. My heart says yes - I miss my friends, the scenery and the activities but the practical side of me says no what with the excellent medical care for both my DH and daughter who have medical issues. When you couple that with now owning a home here, my parents moving here and having a job that gives us so much more stability than if we'd remained in San Diego, then yes - we are glad to be here setting roots down.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 AM

135 posts, read 336,203 times
I've got a 10 year plan to get back to Cali, unfortunately it involves a detour through the middle east for 5 years.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:34 PM

175 posts, read 368,276 times
For under 200K, you can rule out pretty much anywhere within a 10 mile radius of downtown, unless you are interested in a 1700 sq ft bungalow, a fixer-upper, or both. I would say try to live as close to work as you can afford. You will quickly tire of the traffic.

I'm not from California. I'm a native Texan but recently moved back here from the UK with my family. Housing prices have risen sharply in the last year due to the boom the oil and gas industry is currently experiencing (or other factors as yet unknown to me). They're probably going to stay that way for a while.

Lots of people seem to like Katy, but to me it looks a bit run-down in areas. Sugar Land is a beautiful area, and the schools are exemplary, but you might have a hard time finding something under 200K. Same for the Woodlands.

A number of people I know have moved to the Cy-Fair area (Coles Crossing comes to mind) because house prices are fairly low and the schools are excellent. Hwy 290 is a nightmare for traffic but I have heard that there are plans for expansion, after which the housing prices might go up.

Just educate yourself as much as possible about the housing market before making the move. I had a lot of learning to do when I arrived here. If possible, rent for a year before committing to a mortgage. HAR.com has school info and Children at Risk does a yearly school ranking that I found really useful.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,855,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronstew View Post

Sugar Land is a beautiful area, and the schools are exemplary, but you might have a hard time finding something under 200K. Same for the Woodlands.
You can definitely find a nice house in Sugar Land in New Territory or Greatwood for $200K. Go to HAR.com and use zip code 77479.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 PM

175 posts, read 368,276 times
True, but we weren't willing to live 3 miles from 59 or in Greatwood, which we felt was just too dang far. Also, you have to pay attention to which schools these homes are zoned to. Not all schools in Sugar Land are created equal. We couldn't find anything worth looking at for under 300K. Greatwood probably has much better options. We just weren't willing to go that far out.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 25,516 times
Default Looking to relocate in 2013 !!

I am coming back next year from working overseas and lived all my life in Los Angeles. When I left to come overseas I promised myself not to move back to LA...high prices, high crime, high everything, traffic, traffic, and more traffic..........and yes, I will miss the beach !...(but will settle for a river or lake !)., a smaller community, expect a little of both good and bad...but, I am 63 going on 64 working overseas. I want to settle even in a suburb outside of a big city...i have driven through Texas many times but never stayed....any suggestions ? ....I still want to work some, maybe buy or rent a home, not into big money, but as many post, My priorities have changed...expect the heat but then LA can get up to about 115 sometimes and Palm Springs (rarely went there) can get up to 120 degrees...so, I like a nice neighborhood, honest people with good hearts, proud to be Texans, ...............................let me know..I will be back in 2013. thanks to all here !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston