Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 08:28 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,335,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I will offer you our perspective as both a Houston native (myself) and non-native (my husband, who hails from the PNW). We moved to Houston (in my case returned) 17 years ago with DH fresh out of law school, at which time he limited his job search to positions in either Seattle or Houston to be near our respective families. Obviously Houston won (or more precisely, the Houston job won) and that move has worked out exceedingly well for DH's career.

Almost immediately after moving to Houston, I began to regret having sold our home in the PNW. I can't say I was unhappy in Houston exactly, more that I felt trapped and needed an escape valve. All my childhood dislikes about Houston came rushing back and reminded me why I had escaped, er, moved away for college and beyond. (Among these, as a child growing up in Houston I desperately longed for seasons.) About nine years ago we bought a second home in Seattle where the kids and I spent summers and their frequent breaks during the school year. DH for the most part was and is mostly content in Houston, but his contentment derives mostly from his work.

When our older kid was starting high school, we made the decision to move the kids to Seattle to attend school for one or at most two years, since DH was staying in Houston. The kids were not happy to leave their friends and school but we wanted them to experience a different city/school/environment before leaving for college. Well here we are, the kids and I still in Seattle four years later, after the kids themselves quickly decided not to return to Houston. (swopoe, our older kid is moving to New England for college in six precious weeks, sniff!) DH is still working primarily in Houston but is now exploring some professional options worldwide, with one child leaving the nest and another in two years. Whereas until recently DH couldn't imagine letting go our Houston home, he is now open to it.

My advice is, if you're already thinking about leaving, and you are in a position to do so that is more or less neutral professionally, then you should take concrete steps toward making it happen. Don't put it off wondering what if. Houston is a practical city for people to live practical lives, but it lacks so much that provides joy and variety in life. Plus, as crone mentions above, for that trade-off Houston is not nearly the bargain people give it credit for.

(Also, practically every city in the US is plenty diverse. It's odd that people tout this about Houston. It's just not that remarkable in 2021.)
Thanks for the perspective. We have briefly considered the PNW and would almost certainly move there if I could find a job there NOT in Seattle or Portland. I think we’ll downsize cities for this next chapter. Honestly, with the way things have changed over the last decade, the appeal of the ultra-large cities has almost completely vanished for me. It still needs to be large enough for an educated population, but all of the benefits (diversity, shopping, entertainment) have been greatly diminished with time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 08:29 PM

10,026 posts, read 6,718,197 times
Quote:

(Also, practically every city in the US is plenty diverse. It's odd that people tout this about Houston. It's just not that remarkable in 2021.)
I’ve been all across the USA, it is particularly remarkable here. It’s not the only place sure. LA, Chicago and NYC offer a lot of ethnic experiences. But you definitely don’t get Houston’s level in Miami, Atlanta, Phoenix, Seattle etc etc etc. Even to this day I occasionally notice an ethnic spot that I didn’t know of previously.

Edit: I will admit that diversity alone isn’t what brought me here. Unlike you, I do enjoy the overall vibes and amenities here. Particularly the nightlife, events, food scene, dating scene, etc. Astroworld festival lights it up every year. but diversity is definitely a huge driver for me. As a Venezuelan-Puerto Rican, I love Miami’s ethnic offerings. But there’s plenty that you see here that you won’t there. And much like OP, from your post, you seem like the scenic type and you won’t get that in Houston as you wood in PNW, Colorado, Tennessee, etc.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 07-11-2021 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-11-2021, 09:16 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,810,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While diversity does exist in many places across the U.S., I personally really do feel as if it's at a more substantial and materially important level in Houston. When I go to other metros, especially in middle America, you really notice it. Houston feels very globally connected in a way most metros don't, especially for the cost of living - to get the urban amenities and global environment you get here, you're probably going to pay a lot more in other U.S. metros. Not to mention that the suburban lifestyle so desired by many is actually available within the city limits - even to a great extent in the urban core (if for a price) - whereas many older U.S. metros, that's just not the case.
This nails the appeal of Houston for me - compared with any city in the US that is comparable in terms of diversity, national/international profile, and big-city amenities, Houston is (still) affordable and offers the chance to own a comfortable detached home and yard reasonably close to major employment centers without being a multimillionaire.

I also find our natural beauty to be underrated. No, we don't have mountains, rivers, or lakes, but while oh-so-popular central TX has been in a drought for most of the past decade, we stay lush and green for much of the year. We have great parks that are finally getting the investments needed to realize their potential (Memorial Park, Hermann Park, etc). And the beach is an hour away.

I don't even complain about our summers anymore. I'll take hot, miserable summers over chilly winters any day.

My biggest beef with Houston comes from the corrupt and incompetent local politicians and city leadership who waste our tax dollars with pointless infighting, don't maintain our infrastructure, don't apologize to impacted residents when they've obviously screwed up (ie failing to evacuate residents ahead of Hurricane Harvey dam releases), and fail to acknowledge let alone take responsibility for the dramatic rise in crime that's occurred over the past few years. If the City doesn't get its act together it's going to continue to trail Austin and Dallas in terms of attracting corporate relocations, and is going to increasingly lose residents to the suburbs, to the enclave cities, and to other metro areas altogether.

I'm probably not going anywhere. I enjoy Houston's plusses and try to deal with its minuses, knowing that other big cities have it even worse when it comes to crime, poor government, etc.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:19 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,335,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
This nails the appeal of Houston for me - compared with any city in the US that is comparable in terms of diversity, national/international profile, and big-city amenities, Houston is (still) affordable and offers the chance to own a comfortable detached home and yard reasonably close to major employment centers without being a multimillionaire.

I also find our natural beauty to be underrated. No, we don't have mountains, rivers, or lakes, but while oh-so-popular central TX has been in a drought for most of the past decade, we stay lush and green for much of the year. We have great parks that are finally getting the investments needed to realize their potential (Memorial Park, Hermann Park, etc). And the beach is an hour away.

I don't even complain about our summers anymore. I'll take hot, miserable summers over chilly winters any day.

My biggest beef with Houston comes from the corrupt and incompetent local politicians and city leadership who waste our tax dollars with pointless infighting, don't maintain our infrastructure, don't apologize to impacted residents when they've obviously screwed up (ie failing to evacuate residents ahead of Hurricane Harvey dam releases), and fail to acknowledge let alone take responsibility for the dramatic rise in crime that's occurred over the past few years. If the City doesn't get its act together it's going to continue to trail Austin and Dallas in terms of attracting corporate relocations, and is going to increasingly lose residents to the suburbs, to the enclave cities, and to other metro areas altogether.

I'm probably not going anywhere. I enjoy Houston's plusses and try to deal with its minuses, knowing that other big cities have it even worse when it comes to crime, poor government, etc.
And this goes back to my earlier point… it comes down to cost of living for most people.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:12 PM

10,026 posts, read 6,718,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
And this goes back to my earlier point… it comes down to cost of living for most people.
You’re letting the majority of these points go through you. If it were COL alone, they would be living in Arkansas. It’s COL + amenities. Not COL by itself.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:14 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,672,078 times
Fnh- Aww! Good luck to your child with the college move! My family is falling in love with New England, especially my son (we are in Vermont right now).

Old 07-11-2021, 10:32 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,732,662 times
All things being equal, I'd probably choose to live in London. If not there, a small northeastern city with cider and apples in the fall, trout fishing--all the stuff I most miss here. But I have to be honest with myself. My wife and I have jobs in academia and that's tough. Many of our very smartest grad school colleagues have simply had to give up their dream of ever teaching in their fields at all. It's a small compromise to live somewhere you don't love, to do what you really love doing. For most folks even having the opportunity at all is lucky. Combining that with both of us being able to do it here, and I'll take it. We do consider applying in other places, for sure, but Houston also has its charms. There's great food--more cultural resources than most places, lack of pretension, and yes the diversity is significant here. There is a good chance that this city more than any other will be a model for what the US looks like in coming decades. Maybe then we'll get some attention.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:36 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,655,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I need some life advice, and where better to get it from than a forum of strangers on the internet???

My family and I moved to Houston about 11 years ago for work at one of the big oil companies. I’ve enjoyed my career, and for the most part have enjoyed Houston, but am starting to wonder if it’s time to head somewhere else while the decision is still in my hands.

For those of you who are not from the are, what keeps you here? Do you plan on retiring in Houston, or is it mostly just the job? I’m lucky enough that the skills I’ve developed are transferable to just about any industry, and I’m pretty sure I could find a comparable job in most mid to large sized cities paying anywhere from 80% to 120% of my current salary.

I’m thinking a place with four seasons, mountains, outdoor lifestyles…. Maybe like a Knoxville / Greenville / Charlotte type city. I’m torn though, because we don’t hate it here and I don’t hate my job…. We just don’t love it. So, I ask again — what’s keeping you here (for those not raised here)?
I say if you don't have children attending middle school or high school why not leave? Life is short and you don't want to live with regrets.

Now what keeps me in Houston is mostly my Wife's family. She's a Houstonian and most of her family is here. I have a lot of family here as well but I'm not from here. Funny thing though, she's ok with staying in Houston but she leans(sometimes) towards living elsewhere.

Like you, there's a lot of things I like and even love about living in Houston. If we decide to stay I definitely will be completely fine with it. I wouldn't be depressed or anything because Houston has a lot to offer. It's not a bad city at all and when me and her moved before it was definitely things I missed about Houston. But I can honestly say when we did move I didn't regret it at all. I honestly think me and my wife enjoyed being outside of Houston more than actually living in Houston.

But I'll put it to you like this, the thought of moving elsewhere never leaves. You'll eventually feel like you're just settling instead of getting the most out of a city. Yeah you can always visit other cities but sometimes you just want the convenience of living in that space.

So yeah the fact Houston isn't a bad city(not completely in love with it though the older I get especially), and family are the biggest reasons we're still here. FOR NOW

As far as retirement, nope don't plan on retiring in Houston. Don't plan on retiring in America period but definitely not in Houston.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:49 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 23 days ago)

8,461 posts, read 5,600,157 times
Quote:
Im sorry but that isnt remotely true.

If its not important to you, thats fine. But you cant say that all are created equal here. Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the US and we should be proud of that.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:59 AM

18,156 posts, read 25,380,867 times
I lived in Missouri for many years and I knew that moving here I was going to miss the trees and hills.

Keep in mind, the grass is not always greener in the other side
I remember St. Louis and Kansas City being just as hot and humid as Houston during the summer
True, their summer is shorter … but they also have fewer “nice days”

In Houston you suffer through the summer and then get 4 months of perfect weather
In Missouri, nice weather is usually in Spring/Fall and usually it means that a cold front (storm with tornadoes) is on the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston