Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 PM

12 posts, read 51,042 times

Advertisements

I am a Native Texan and I live in Katy. Have lived here since 1999. I work out in the yard and walk around barefoot in the yard. If you keep your yard clear of clutter you really should not have any problems with snakes. I even let the grandbaby play in the back (she not 2yrs yet) but the neighborhood kids run everywhere and I have not heard of anyone getting bit. We do teach the kids early that snakes are not your friends and that they should not play or mess with them. Really Texas is not that scarey of a place to live. You really have to have an open mind about the people, weather and element of Texas. The weather changes as fast as you can change your socks and the people are as friendly as you are, and yes, we have bugs (we also so have exterminators). If you are moving to Texas because you want to, you should fit in real nice, if you are moving under derest then you might have a problem.

P.S. I have never had a snake in my trash can....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,039 times
Lightbulb Brown Grass Snake In Living Room

I live in the south west part of Houston. Wednesday night as I was sitting in my living room chair what appeared to be a foot long brown grass snake slithered across my living room carpet in front of me. Two of my three dogs were very near the snake but did not see him before I did. I immediately got up and put on a rubber glove to pick him up and throw him out in the yard. Living in Houston is like living in the country you always see lots of critters including baby turtles that arrive on your patio. I live near a bayou and I know this must contribute to all the critters I have seen in my house. The wet tropical-like climate here must also be a contributing factor. Turtles, snakes, silver fish, crickets, spiders of all sizes, mice, mosquitoes, lizards have all been in or around my property.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 27,735 times
I have been living in the Woodlands for almost 2 months now, and today I saw a snake in the yard. I am terrified, I hate snakes. I hope I don't see anymore. It was a striped one, I don't know what type it was.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:12 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrm View Post
I have been living in the Woodlands for almost 2 months now, and today I saw a snake in the yard. I am terrified, I hate snakes. I hope I don't see anymore. It was a striped one, I don't know what type it was.
Are you sure it was a snake? we have some 5 striped skinks that can be mistaken for snakes if you don't get a good look. The only poisonous striped snake around here is a coral snake and they are pretty distinctive with the red, yellow, black coloration.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
This is an old but interesting thread. As a native if SE Texas, I can attest to the fact that snakes are a part of life, but really how does a snake get into a garbage can? With the exception of the zoo, we don't have anacondas in Texas.

@sarahrm - if the snake you saw had black and yellow stripes, it was harmless (as are the majority of snakes here). They sell those at the pet store.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 AM

469 posts, read 1,101,238 times
Most snakes in Texas are harmless. I have been in Sienna for 3 1/2 years now. I have come across a couple of Texas Browns and a baby Broad Banded Water. You may come across one once or twice a year. Its not a huge problem. I wouldn't cancel your plans to move here just because of it.

Here is a good website to indentify a snake you see.

http://www.texassnakes.net/pictures.html

Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM

188 posts, read 349,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeMan View Post
Hello Everyone: I am new here and I'm a native Houstonian and a Snake Educator (people not the snakes). Please post questions specifically about snakes and I will be happy to answer them for you.
Clint the SnakeMan
Any snakes adjacent to green belts and/or adjacant to lakes in new territory or telfair subdivisions in sugar land.If there are, how to stop them from from entering your yard. I would very much appreciate all the answers and advise.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
dont be concerned about poisonous snakes, they can only hurt you if you eat them.

now venomous snakes are a different story, they could bite you and make you sick

I see more coral snakes in the houston area than copperheads.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM

286 posts, read 555,319 times
that's just odd
Fort Bend County family says snake was bundled with crawfish purchase | khou.com Houston

I saw what I believe was a water moccasin while playing out in the woods by a bayou once, that's about the only venomous snake I saw growing up and a neighbor's cat ate a snake and died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston