Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most complete Houston suburb
Conroe 0 0%
Cypress 1 1.41%
Katy/Cinco 8 11.27%
Pearland 3 4.23%
Spring 2 2.82%
Sugar Land 31 43.66%
The Woodlands 26 36.62%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 11:44 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times

Advertisements

Katy is significantly a step up compared to the development in the majority of unincorporated Houston suburbs. I will say Cypress, especially the areas that are considered only Cypress and not the border zones, are really nice, and the change between South of 290 and North of 290, and the haphazard development works similar to Katy. But much of the rest of Houston, we have next to zero discernible “Downtowns” or anything like that, and it’s just developers piggybacking off each other.
Spring/Klein, Unincorporated Montgomery, Cypress, Richmond and CDPs like Atascocita all struggle in one way or another by not being actually large cities. Whether theirs a lack of cohesiveness, no definable city center, or no interesting sites/restaurants all of these cities suffer from that relative to the incorporated cities. Heck a few of the cities like Pearland, League City, Pasadena, Friendswood and Mo City aren’t doing much especially compared to to some Dallas or Austin area suburbs to improve their communities significantly.

I do think League City has a massive opportunity to improve itself with its current location and its sizable ETJ, it could or will easily be the largest suburb of Houston in a few years. Only Pearland has similar growth potential for incorporated towns.

Pasadena also has a chance, as far as I know crime isn’t too high for a poorer area and it could be great for redevelopment being largely a grid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 01:24 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

I do think League City has a massive opportunity to improve itself with its current location and its sizable ETJ, it could or will easily be the largest suburb of Houston in a few years. Only Pearland has similar growth potential for incorporated towns.

Pasadena also has a chance, as far as I know crime isn’t too high for a poorer area and it could be great for redevelopment being largely a grid.
You’re sleeping in Conroe

Old 07-08-2021, 01:46 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
So how are they attracting all these big companies then? Serious question btw. And I also saw they just renamed to City Place.
It's been a recent phenomenon that large office tenants have been gravitating to new, high-quality buildings in walkable mixed-use developments, even when they have cheaper options in decent buildings available. CityPlace has capitalized on this trend. They've been able to capture companies moving out of the North Houston District (formerly Greenspoint) and the Chasewood area (the HPs) which only have older buildings and aren't set up for walkable mixed-use. They must have determined that CityPlace would be more accessible for where their workforce resides than The Woodlands Town Center.

Similarly, note how companies have been moving to CityCentre / Memorial City and filling up new buildings while Energy Corridor languishes. I have to think Marathon's move from its old namesake building was partly because that building wasn't in the walkable mixed-use part of Uptown. (Also, they probably thought CityCentre was an easier commute for their workforce since it's on two highways.)

Old 07-08-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It will be very interesting to see what happens in Conroe. They're revitalizing their historic downtown while also building a new one at Grand Central Park.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It's been a recent phenomenon that large office tenants have been gravitating to new, high-quality buildings in walkable mixed-use developments, even when they have cheaper options in decent buildings available. CityPlace has capitalized on this trend. They've been able to capture companies moving out of the North Houston District (formerly Greenspoint) and the Chasewood area (the HPs) which only have older buildings and aren't set up for walkable mixed-use. They must have determined that CityPlace would be more accessible for where their workforce resides than The Woodlands Town Center.

Similarly, note how companies have been moving to CityCentre / Memorial City and filling up new buildings while Energy Corridor languishes. I have to think Marathon's move from its old namesake building was partly because that building wasn't in the walkable mixed-use part of Uptown. (Also, they probably thought CityCentre was an easier commute for their workforce since it's on two highways.)
Off topic but Crown Castle’s old building was 80K Sq Ft. the new one is 400K+. Just a fun fact . They moved in 2019-2020.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:55 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Katy is significantly a step up compared to the development in the majority of unincorporated Houston suburbs. I will say Cypress, especially the areas that are considered only Cypress and not the border zones, are really nice, and the change between South of 290 and North of 290, and the haphazard development works similar to Katy. But much of the rest of Houston, we have next to zero discernible “Downtowns” or anything like that, and it’s just developers piggybacking off each other.
Spring/Klein, Unincorporated Montgomery, Cypress, Richmond and CDPs like Atascocita all struggle in one way or another by not being actually large cities. Whether theirs a lack of cohesiveness, no definable city center, or no interesting sites/restaurants all of these cities suffer from that relative to the incorporated cities. Heck a few of the cities like Pearland, League City, Pasadena, Friendswood and Mo City aren’t doing much especially compared to to some Dallas or Austin area suburbs to improve their communities significantly.

Yeah and I think it's due to the region's culture overall. It's amazing how Sugar Land was able to stand out and for a long time was the only incorporated suburb in the region that resembled some sense of long range city planning.

I agree that League City seems to have a great opportunity. I wouldn't sleep on Pearland either as I think some of their city leaders may have taken a trip to the DFW burbs or SL because planning there has gotten better too. Pearland is also diverse so give it some time and I think you'll see it become the hub of ethnic offerings in the south metro area even with Houston and the SW being nearby. Then going south as Manvel and Iowa Colony grow I think they'll look to newer Pearland as a guide.

As PS mentioned, Conroe is another that shouldn't be slept on as they are really planning for that city to become a true satellite city for the Houston metro. It has the most attractive landscape out of all Houston suburbs too which is good as a marketing tool to lure companies from outside the region. Plus it has the central downtown area that is lacking in most Houston suburbs.

What I think is happening is a lot of the Houston suburbs, even the unincorporated ones being built by developers, is people demand better planning to not look like Houston.

I like that you mentioned Atascocita. I wonder how different the area would look if it was all Humble city limits. Probably a lot better and then downtown Humble would have more to offer. Same thing if Spring was an actual city.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Off topic but Crown Castle’s old building was 80K Sq Ft. the new one is 400K+. Just a fun fact . They moved in 2019-2020.
Yes, that one stood out as apart from the crowd. And some firms (engineers mostly I think) have moved to new random-box-by-the-freeway space in Katy. But you can't look at the overall data and not see what has been going on in term of office location.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yes, that one stood out as apart from the crowd. And some firms (engineers mostly I think) have moved to new random-box-by-the-freeway space in Katy. But you can't look at the overall data and not see what has been going on in term of office location.
I’d say both styles are popular. West Chase has attracted just as many large companies as Springwood. The difference is that City Place/Springwood only takes in large campuses while West Chase does both extremely large campuses (Phillips 66, Honeywell, etc) as well as smaller ones.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I’d say both styles are popular. West Chase has attracted just as many large companies as Springwood. The difference is that City Place/Springwood only takes in large campuses while West Chase does both extremely large campuses (Phillips 66, Honeywell, etc) as well as smaller ones.
Westchase has done better than the Energy Corridor, but believe me they're both looking at CityCentre and CityPlace with some jealousy. Of course, the former two have a lot of legacy buildings from the 1980s, so that's part of it.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:56 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
To be fair Conroe was it's own mature town before it started annexing into Houston MSA. Had it been closer to Houston city limits it would probably look and feel no different than most of the burbs that surround the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston