Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,913 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm in the process of applying for jobs in Austin and Houston and have some questions about downtown living before I decide on a city. I'm an auditor, or that's what I will soon be, and due to the nature of the business we travel around the city to various client sites. I realize typically you would live somewhere close to work, but in this business it's not as easy as that. I've heard from many people from Houston living downtown would be a great option since traveling away from downtown helps avoid the flow of traffic. I have a son who will be in 3rd grade and before concerning myself w/my commute time, making sure he is in a good school is first priority. My other option would be the Galleria area since it seems nice, but again, I don't know if they have good schools or if when leaving I'm going away from traffic.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM

Anybody? Even just general info on living in these areas with kids would be great--or even the med center. I just don't know where all the crime is or how bad it even is in these areas. If there is too much, I won't even consider them.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
There aren't any elementary schools downtown. We would be happy to assist you, but first, we need to see some numbers. What is your price range?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Anybody? Even just general info on living in these areas with kids would be great--or even the med center. I just don't know where all the crime is or how bad it even is in these areas. If there is too much, I won't even consider them.
You won't find good public schools near downtown. The closest would be River Oaks Elementary, and I don't think that would be very convenient to freeways for your job. I think the Galleria area would be a better target. There's a great Vanguard school just west of there, T.H. Rodgers, if you can get in (testing + lottery). Or try neighborhoods further west, out Memorial/I-10. Or just south of the Galleria, in Meyerland or Bellaire.

If you want to be near the Med Center you would probably want to be zoned to Roberts. It's pretty pricey, though. Great family neighborhood.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 PM

Thank you very much. I'm looking to rent something to begin with. A 2 bed/2 bath upwards of $1550/month. Also, if I wind up somewhere a little further west, say Memorial, how would the commute into downtown or even somewhere like Spring be?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 PM

There are a couple good public schools in the Heights, but you probably won't be able to get into any magnet or Vanguard programs at this late date if you're planning to move in by fall 2008. You'll have to choose based on zoning, so West Loop and over that way, as houston-nomad suggests, might be your best bet, unless there are some apartments around Roberts, Twain, etc. I don't know about... but then you wouldn't have super-easy freeway access either really.... so, go west, young man. Or woman.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
There are a couple good public schools in the Heights, but you probably won't be able to get into any magnet or Vanguard programs at this late date if you're planning to move in by fall 2008. You'll have to choose based on zoning, so West Loop and over that way, as houston-nomad suggests, might be your best bet, unless there are some apartments around Roberts, Twain, etc. I don't know about... but then you wouldn't have super-easy freeway access either really.... so, go west, young man. Or woman.
Public schools are fine by me. Are they pretty good in the Memorial area?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:09 AM

So they say. If you were looking for private schools in and near downtown, you do have options. I think we all assumed you were looking for public. Were you?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 PM

I thought the Vanguard was a private school or magnet school of some sort so that's why I made mention that public was okay. Now I just need to find a place where the commute won't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: