Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 01:19 PM

313 posts, read 285,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Where are those selling their homes moving if it's a tough time to buy?
I’m sorry, I misread your post. I don’t know where people are moving to. My neighbors were going to move but realized whatever profit they made would be eaten up by the new home’s selling price. One or two mentioned they moved from in town to the ‘burbs because they wanted a bigger home and the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 01:37 PM

268 posts, read 183,031 times
I am in Cypress and yeah...homes in my neighborhood are on the market maybe 5 days and they are sold. Even the rattier ones and ones that have no renovations.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:21 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,491,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Allen View Post
The surge of buyers seem to be escaping CA and other states, where jobs are thin and the taxes are high and going higher. CA has a 13% state income tax and gas hovers around 4 dollars a gallon. This is not sustainable for many middle class people, who have seen stagnant wages for years, so they leave for states like TX and FL.
Now we have to contend with an exodus from Texas because of the electric grid. 2021 is a pretty strange year for the electric grid--previous summers were not this close to a blackout. Transplants were willing to overlook the winter storm as a one-time fluke, but the average summer crippling the electric grid like never before is a scary prospect for residents and prospective transplants alike.

If Centerpoint manages to leave ERCOT for the federal grid, Houston would have a massive advantage above the I-35 corridor cities.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 AM

I always hoped our awful summers would keep the CA and NY peeps from coming, but the awful conditions in their states ramped up even more during the Covid lock downs and they keep on coming.

The answer to fixing this electricity nonsense is to re-evaluate the South Texas Nuclear Plant.

This is not Chernobyl, circa 1980s or the China Syndrome....France currently gets about 70% of their electricity from nuclear as do many Scandinavian countries. You do not hear about tons of problems or melt downs, do you?

It is time to consider this, as this Ercot organization has proven to be a failure and incapable or fixing itself.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:36 AM

225 posts, read 264,724 times
Quote:
I always hoped our awful summers would keep the CA and NY peeps from coming, but the awful conditions in their states ramped up even more during the Covid lock downs and they keep on coming.

The answer to fixing this electricity nonsense is to re-evaluate the South Texas Nuclear Plant.

This is not Chernobyl, circa 1980s or the China Syndrome....France currently gets about 70% of their electricity from nuclear as do many Scandinavian countries. You do not hear about tons of problems or melt downs, do you?

It is time to consider this, as this Ercot organization has proven to be a failure and incapable or fixing itself.
STP tripped off during the Winter Storm. https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/m...o-cold-weather. There is no magic solution in any generation technology.

Our deregulation model is deeply flawed without 1) A capacity market to incentivize being ready and able to generate, not just pumping out MW's at the highest prices (look up price majeure) and 2) Reliability enhancements to include interconnection with the rest of the county (Both Eastern and Western Interconnect) and requirements, with financial penalties for non-compliance, to weatherize from wellhead to busbar for both summer and winter peaks.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:55 AM

Since Sweden uses about 35% nuclear power, it IS possible to winterize a nuclear power plant to survive cold temps.

The problem was that our system was not winterized to withstand the weather we received in February.

Odd was the fact that places like Lubbock did not lose power when the southern part of the state went blackout. My daughter was in Lubbock and they were colder AND did not ever lose power.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:38 AM

225 posts, read 264,724 times
Quote:
Since Sweden uses about 35% nuclear power, it IS possible to winterize a nuclear power plant to survive cold temps.

The problem was that our system was not winterized to withstand the weather we received in February.

Odd was the fact that places like Lubbock did not lose power when the southern part of the state went blackout. My daughter was in Lubbock and they were colder AND did not ever lose power.
My point exactly; prior to May 30th LPL was in SPP, and thus connected to the Eastern Interconnect. They then joined ERCOT, controversially.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05...ck-ERCOT-grid/

Old 06-16-2021, 01:34 PM

Deregulation did NOT really bring about lower energy prices.

I am saddened to see Lubbock join that Ercot grid. That looks like a huge mistake.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:18 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,425,415 times
Where do you want to buy? Some areas are hot and some are more affordable.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:54 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,491,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornHotspur View Post
STP tripped off during the Winter Storm. https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/m...o-cold-weather. There is no magic solution in any generation technology.
News of nuclear reactor 1 freezing was announced on TV during the storm. Luckily I was able to watch TV to hear that tidbit of an update at that moment during one of the sessions of power at my house.

If the nuclear reactors were weatherized, the power outage would have not disproportionately affected Houston compared to the other major Texas metros. I was hoping that the Parish coal plant was generating power to benefit Fort Bend County and SW Houston, but just found out that they also froze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornHotspur View Post
My point exactly; prior to May 30th LPL was in SPP, and thus connected to the Eastern Interconnect. They then joined ERCOT, controversially.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05...ck-ERCOT-grid/
The deal was signed 3 years ago and implemented on Memorial Day. The winter storm came too late to stop the transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston