Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 02:34 PM

23,960 posts, read 15,066,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Most of the LEOs in the county are hired by the County. The number of deputies hired by HOAs and such is small in comparison. I personally think the deputy programs need to be terminated, because it's wrong that a subdivision with money can hire extra actual law enforcement while subdivisions without money can't.
I just wish the Commissioner's court would fund the HCSO. They have not had enough deputies on the street in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 03:53 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I just wish the Commissioner's court would fund the HCSO. They have not had enough deputies on the street in my lifetime.
We would have more deputies coming in if Ramsey and Cagle had not bailed on the budget votes.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Most of the LEOs in the county are hired by the County. The number of deputies hired by HOAs and such is small in comparison. I personally think the deputy programs need to be terminated, because it's wrong that a subdivision with money can hire extra actual law enforcement while subdivisions without money can't.
I don’t see why it’s wrong. If you feel like your neighborhood isn’t secure enough you should be able to hire whoever to secure it. You might as well argue it’s wrong that cities spend more on other cities on police budgets. If a neighborhood of given a vote votes for an increase in taxes for more police officers but the majority of their city votes against it, I see no foul in said neighborhood paying more in taxes/HOAs to get more police enforcement. If people want to be overpoliced as it’s called then they should absolutely have the right to as long as they don’t expect others to pay. These tiny cities in Texas already in effect do this…

I see the fundamental issue in having money decide public goods but I don’t see the argument that no one can’t pay for better security if they believe the security is mediocre. I would only be against it if this program meant that certain neighborhoods that can’t afford security are getting abandoned by HCSO.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-11-2023 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-11-2023, 09:46 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I don’t see why it’s wrong. If you feel like your neighborhood isn’t secure enough you should be able to hire whoever to secure it. You might as well argue it’s wrong that cities spend more on other cities on police budgets. If a neighborhood of given a vote votes for an increase in taxes for more police officers but the majority of their city votes against it, I see no foul in said neighborhood paying more in taxes/HOAs to get more police enforcement. If people want to be overpoliced as it’s called then they should absolutely have the right to as long as they don’t expect others to pay. These tiny cities in Texas already in effect do this…

I see the fundamental issue in having money decide public goods but I don’t see the argument that no one can’t pay for better security if they believe the security is mediocre. I would only be against it if this program meant that certain neighborhoods that can’t afford security are getting abandoned by HCSO.
If a subdivision wants more security, they can hire a private security firm. It is disgusting that more money gets a subdivision better policing with real law enforcement than an area that doesn't have money. It is beyond stupid that homeowners scream like crazy if property taxes go up to pay for more law enforcement, but they will jump all over a contract deputy program.

Many areas are currently abandoned by HCSO. My Mom lives in Katy, and response times for HCSO there are measured in days.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:23 AM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Well, Houston beat Los Angeles and NYC again in both #'s and rate. Bad look for Texans that love to crap on NY and CA for the out of control crime.
Yes, those ignorant breed of Texans are out of touch with reality I agree.

This forum has made me not a huge fan of Texans or Californians at times.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:25 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
My current numbers stand at 704 between Fort Bend and Harris, I’m still waiting on the other counties, but I doubt we’ll hit a 1,ooo at this point.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:07 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
My current numbers stand at 704 between Fort Bend and Harris, I’m still waiting on the other counties, but I doubt we’ll hit a 1,ooo at this point.
If those are the numbers for the entirety of those counties, I doubt if we get much above 800.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:31 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,847 times
IMO the murder-homicide thing has a lot to do with drugs. The '90s peak murder was also the peak of the crack epidemic. When times get tough economically, a lot of unskilled, uneducated and just plain stupid people around here will resort to buying, selling, making drugs. I doubt anyone really knows what the hell is in the stuff they are cooking and mixing up today. Realize there have always been lots of foot soldiers for the cartels around here. I can also say with confidence that the majority of blue collar and retail workers here are 2 degrees of separation away from at least one of these foot soldiers.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:14 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
IMO the murder-homicide thing has a lot to do with drugs. The '90s peak murder was also the peak of the crack epidemic. When times get tough economically, a lot of unskilled, uneducated and just plain stupid people around here will resort to buying, selling, making drugs. I doubt anyone really knows what the hell is in the stuff they are cooking and mixing up today. Realize there have always been lots of foot soldiers for the cartels around here. I can also say with confidence that the majority of blue collar and retail workers here are 2 degrees of separation away from at least one of these foot soldiers.
While I'm sure that's an important component to the overall homicide mix, domestic / romantic relationships seem to have really grown as a major "cause" in the last few years.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:56 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
If a subdivision wants more security, they can hire a private security firm. It is disgusting that more money gets a subdivision better policing with real law enforcement than an area that doesn't have money. It is beyond stupid that homeowners scream like crazy if property taxes go up to pay for more law enforcement, but they will jump all over a contract deputy program.

Many areas are currently abandoned by HCSO. My Mom lives in Katy, and response times for HCSO there are measured in days.
I live in Katy, and this is true (when I was in North Katy). But I was under the impression that this is the case Harris County-wide as well.

Like Katy is abandoned but so is the majority of the county because there’s less officers per capita in HCSO than basically any police organization that’s supposed to protect more than 1,000,000 people. Like with nearly the same population as Chicago, HCSO has like 1/5th the officers. Houston PD has like under 1/2 the officers.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-12-2023 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston