Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 05:58 PM

18 posts, read 26,778 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm considering a new development and a line item option is pre-plumbing for a water softener system. I was wondering how the water hardness is in the area and how many home owners have (or don't have) a softener system.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 07:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I am outside Houston,in Richmond and back then the water is hard,so I have a water softener installed,I used potassium chloride instead of sodium and it works well,then a few years ago,we get water from Houston so I dont use it any more altho it is still hooked up with the main water faucet in the street.
I think Houston water is good enough,you dont need a water softener.
would like to hear what others have to say /
I prefer potassium over sodium,until I found out I was dozing off in doctor office at 11 am ,and always want to take a nap during the day which I never do,it turns out potassium is lowering my blood pressure

Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofNYC View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm considering a new development and a line item option is pre-plumbing for a water softener system. I was wondering how the water hardness is in the area and how many home owners have (or don't have) a softener system.

Thanks in advance!
I would get the pre-plumbing done. It won't cost as much as having it done later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am outside Houston,in Richmond and back then the water is hard,so I have a water softener installed,I used potassium chloride instead of sodium and it works well,then a few years ago,we get water from Houston so I dont use it any more altho it is still hooked up with the main water faucet in the street.
I prefer potassium over sodium,until I found out I was dozing off in doctor office at 11 am ,and always want to take a nap during the day which I never do,it turns out potassium is lowering my blood pressure
City of Houston water is pretty hard. We live inside the Loop, and installed a softener/filter, and it's been great. No lime deposits on the fixtures, the shower head cleaned itself up, etc.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:24 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I like it because it keeps all the hard water residue off everything.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
I would recommend getting the plumbing for a water softener. 'Much easier to do it 'now', than later. For a water softener, you also need a discharge into the sewer, so better get it done initially. Also, I am guessing they would automatically do this, but ask the builder if they run a separate supply for the garden hose spigots, if not, ask them to plumb it this way so you don't waste soft water on your lawns flower beds.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 26,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I'm actually looking in Sugar Land so I believe that's south of you. I guess I'll read up on softener options since I have very little knowledge on this (potassium vs sodium).

Thanks for the input

Old 03-04-2021, 11:18 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
For a traditional water softener there isn't that much involved. Agree that it would most likely be simpler and less expensive to include it in the build initially rather than add it later. Take the option as a hint that you will probably want to soften the source water to prolong the life of your plumbing and appliances. Suggestion: find out what water source the development will use (municipal water? Well? Spring?) and ask that supplier about the mineral content/hardness.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:49 PM

My installer wired it in such a way that it only soften water going to the kitchen sink and one bathtub.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:59 PM

814 posts, read 675,479 times
My house is plumbed so there is soft water everywhere EXCEPT out door hose connections and kitchen sink cold side.

I live near the termination of the new softer well water pipeline on the N. Side of SA. So my water softener could be adjusted to run less often on its salt cycle.

But it is one of those highly complex Clack heads with all sorts of calculated nonsense and extensive options to work a standby softener and filters to figure out when to run. And of course the thick manual that came with it does not quite match the model I have.

I (unwisely) unplugged it during the long blackouts and power surges. The surges destroyed my cable tv box and one stereo receiver. Plugged it back in after putting in a new 2032 battery and it seems fine except the 100gal reserve trigger near the run limit has gone to zero.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:05 PM

if you install a water softener,you have to buy those 40 gallons bags of sodium or potassium chloride,either one is perfect,potassium lowers my blood pressure which I dont need,and sodium is salt,we dont need that either.
I am in Richmond and we are getting Houston water now,I think it is pretty good,I dont see any calcium deposit on my kitchen cookware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston