Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 06:39 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 496,027 times

Advertisements

Stonewall didn’t flood during Harvey. I believe the width and depth of the bayou where it’s located helped. You can see this by walking or driving on the TC Jester bridge. The houses (Cranston St) opposite Stonewall on the other side of the bayou didn’t flood either. Shocking, I know huh.

My good friend lived in Stonewall during Harvey and had no issues. In fact, I jogged across the TC Jester bridge a couple of times (on separate days) during Harvey without incident.

The area (Timbergrove) a couple of blocks north near TC Jester and 11th street did flood most likely due to the bottleneck where the bayou and the trail bridge intersects. There is also a sharp turn that could probably be re-engineered to hold water better to prevent the 11th St Park and nearby streets from flooding.

One good thing about Stonewall is you can walk to bars and restaurants on Washington Avenue. It’s located conveniently to downtown, mid-town, montrose, galleria and of course the heights.

Last edited by kwr; 03-30-2021 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 04:07 PM

37 posts, read 53,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Stonewall didn’t flood during Harvey. I believe the width and depth of the bayou where it’s located helped. You can see this by walking or driving on the TC Jester bridge. The houses (Cranston St) opposite Stonewall on the other side of the bayou didn’t flood either. Shocking, I know huh.

My good friend lived in Stonewall during Harvey and had no issues. In fact, I jogged across the TC Jester bridge a couple of times (on separate days) during Harvey without incident.

The area (Timbergrove) a couple of blocks north near TC Jester and 11th street did flood most likely due to the bottleneck where the bayou and the trail bridge intersects. There is also a sharp turn that could probably be re-engineered to hold water better to prevent the 11th St Park and nearby streets from flooding.

One good thing about Stonewall is you can walk to bars and restaurants on Washington Avenue. It’s located conveniently to downtown, mid-town, montrose, galleria and of course the heights.
Good to know, thanks!! I'm all set to move the last week of this month. Feel free to message me if anyone is open to making new friends and playing board games together

Old 04-03-2021, 06:00 PM

BUMP. One more question. What's the overall safety of the Timbergrove/Lazybrook area? Do I need to take some extra precautions? I understand crime happens everywhere in a big city. I have some nicer rims so I'm a little worried about someone trying to jack them.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:32 PM

15,627 posts, read 7,659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
BUMP. One more question. What's the overall safety of the Timbergrove/Lazybrook area? Do I need to take some extra precautions? I understand crime happens everywhere in a big city. I have some nicer rims so I'm a little worried about someone trying to jack them.
It's not too bad. Occasional theft of wheels from pickups, or pickup tailgates. A few other petty crimes. I don't feel unsafe in Timbergrove at all.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It's not too bad. Occasional theft of wheels from pickups, or pickup tailgates. A few other petty crimes. I don't feel unsafe in Timbergrove at all.
Gotcha, don't have a pickup truck just a Corolla. I'm getting some gorilla wheel locks installed tomorrow and just got a steering wheel lock. They're outta garages for now. Maybe it's worth getting one of those lojack GPS things too, idk

Old 04-17-2021, 12:52 PM

335 posts, read 265,238 times
Quote:
Gotcha, don't have a pickup truck just a Corolla. I'm getting some gorilla wheel locks installed tomorrow and just got a steering wheel lock. They're outta garages for now. Maybe it's worth getting one of those lojack GPS things too, idk
Just don't leave any valuables (or things that appear to be valuable) in your car and you should be fine. Timbergrove is one of the safer neighborhoods ITL.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:02 PM

15,627 posts, read 7,659,245 times
Quote:
I haven't heard of small sedans being victims of anything but break and enter to take the stuff inside. The trucks will lose tires and wheels and tailgates. I don't use a steering lock, if the thief wants the car he will take a sawzall to the steering wheel to remove the lock. As for wheel locks, my kid's car was missing the wheel lock key. The mechanic had a hardened socket he drove on with a hammer, and took the locks right off. I am not familiar with the Gorilla items.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Just don't leave any valuables (or things that appear to be valuable) in your car and you should be fine. Timbergrove is one of the safer neighborhoods ITL.
Also what the heck is going on with the Rice Military neighborhood? I've been checking the neighborhood app and the news and there's been tons of robberies and armed entry into homes/apartments. Makes me kinda nervous given that it's a few miles down the road lol.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:12 AM

335 posts, read 265,238 times
Quote:
Also what the heck is going on with the Rice Military neighborhood? I've been checking the neighborhood app and the news and there's been tons of robberies and armed entry into homes/apartments. Makes me kinda nervous given that it's a few miles down the road lol.
Yeah the recent uptick in hard crime in RM is pretty alarming. Normally I would point to opportunistic drunkards from Washington Ave, but this is clearly a different trend with a number of premeditated and targeted robberies. Not to pile on too much, but there was evidently a carjacking yesterday outside an apt complex in Rice Military (source below).

https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/com...ot_car_jacked/

Anyway, I don't think the amount of spillover crime from RM to Timbergrove would be particularly high, especially given that I-10 separates them. Worth keeping an eye on the crime spotter though.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Yeah the recent uptick in hard crime in RM is pretty alarming. Normally I would point to opportunistic drunkards from Washington Ave, but this is clearly a different trend with a number of premeditated and targeted robberies. Not to pile on too much, but there was evidently a carjacking yesterday outside an apt complex in Rice Military (source below).

https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/com...ot_car_jacked/

Anyway, I don't think the amount of spillover crime from RM to Timbergrove would be particularly high, especially given that I-10 separates them. Worth keeping an eye on the crime spotter though.
Yeah I saw that last night. I feel awful for her. Lots of people have told me to get a conceal & carry license lol. I'm not a guy who has ever even thought about that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston