Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 10:13 PM

951 posts, read 1,455,539 times

Advertisements

So I have been protesting my property tax ever since I bought a house. I average 1-2% in my success.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this and he said he is using a company and they almost lower it much more than 1-2% of what is asked every year. In my case it would be impossible to do.

Last year my house value went up to 306K, then I protested online and tried 296K. They sent me an offer for 301K and I had no other choice.

So how is it possible that they achieve such high savings? All the data is available on zillow reddit or websites. Anyone can go these sites and figure out the sold prices for similar houses and get an average. How do these companies convince counties for a lower rate than what is obvious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 09:48 AM

15,531 posts, read 7,559,449 times
Zillow and Reddit aren't evidence. Comparable sales come from the MLS, not random websites. Remember, Texas is a non-reporting state, and sale prices are not public. The companies have way more data than you or I have access to, and are also experienced in how to present the evidence. That makes a difference. Even then, there's not always a reduction.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Zillow and Reddit aren't evidence. Comparable sales come from the MLS, not random websites. Remember, Texas is a non-reporting state, and sale prices are not public. The companies have way more data than you or I have access to, and are also experienced in how to present the evidence. That makes a difference. Even then, there's not always a reduction.
I have checked numerous sales to reddit website. All match to real world sales numbers to the penny

But the issue here is how they present evidence. They never ask anything from the home owner. The information these companies have is accessible to anyone.

I am not understanding what they do differently

Old 01-31-2021, 05:24 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times
Have you ever fought back? Appealed the initial rulings and taken it all the way to an arbitration hearing? Maybe it's the same reason a lawyer has a better chance of getting a ticket dismissed or reduced than a person representing themself? They know the professional knows the rules of the game and how to play it out.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Have you ever fought back? Appealed the initial rulings and taken it all the way to an arbitration hearing? Maybe it's the same reason a lawyer has a better chance of getting a ticket dismissed or reduced than a person representing themself? They know the professional knows the rules of the game and how to play it out.
what professional knows?

The appealing process is text based. Nothing else. It can not be pictures videos or other documents because these companies never ask these from home owner. So they simply base their appeal on the data that is known by the public in the first place.

How better or more professional can you present the sales price, date, sqft, number of rooms and all other simple data on MLS? Can you give me an example? Because I am really curious to know

By the way, the people from these companies that I talked to over the phone, were looking at the pc and I asked them where they are seeing my house's data. They simply and plainly said MLS. The whole real estate industry uses the exact same source (except projections and estimates)

so what makes them different? Can someone give us an example of one of their appeal?

By the way can we access to the appeal these companies do on behalf of us?

Old 01-31-2021, 06:48 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,061,040 times
I think you're seeing what's called a rigged system. You have to have a real estate license to see the listings. You have to be an "insider" to know how to best use those listing to make the case. So the average person has to shell out $$ to make a successful appeal. So guess what? The rich get richer and the poor get screwed. But this is capitalism, so you're supposed to love it.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
what professional knows?

The appealing process is text based. Nothing else. It can not be pictures videos or other documents because these companies never ask these from home owner. So they simply base their appeal on the data that is known by the public in the first place.

You didn't answer my question about taking it all the way to an arbitration hearing but it's pretty obvious that you are giving up at their first denial. Why should they offer you more? You've proven yourself to be a pushover that will take what they offer and humbly go away. They know the companies you are talking about are not pushovers and will not go away and will cost them thousands taking it all the way in the process.

If you don't accept their offer you are entitled to a hearing with an appraiser and if you don't accept their decision you can request an Appraisal Review Board (ARB) protest hearing. The HCAD website tells you to "gather photographs" and bring "any other material you intend to use in your presentation." The hearing is in person and is not text only.

https://www.hctax.net/Property/protest

Old 01-31-2021, 07:42 PM

15,531 posts, read 7,559,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
what professional knows?

How better or more professional can you present the sales price, date, sqft, number of rooms and all other simple data on MLS? Can you give me an example? Because I am really curious to know

By the way, the people from these companies that I talked to over the phone, were looking at the pc and I asked them where they are seeing my house's data. They simply and plainly said MLS. The whole real estate industry uses the exact same source (except projections and estimates)

so what makes them different? Can someone give us an example of one of their appeal?

By the way can we access to the appeal these companies do on behalf of us?
It's not text based only, You can ask for a hearing with real people, then take it to arbitration. More information here https://hcad.org/hcad-help/protests-and-corrections/

Old 01-31-2021, 10:04 PM

8,897 posts, read 20,023,726 times
A realtor can give you comps for your neighborhood. It helps, check out hcad appraisals for other addresses that are the same floor plan in your neighborhood. Take it all with you. My hubs usually fights it on his own in person and usually does fairly well.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:13 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,534,619 times
I lowered my appraised value by almost 20K, totally by myself.
Persistence is the key to success.
You gotta keep going after two rejections.
ARB meeting is what you need.
Do some homework (pictures, comps, etc.).
My inspection report was also helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston