Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,614 times

Advertisements

My car was supposed to have been inspected back in August 2007. Like a whole lot of other things in my life, I forgot. Normally I'm only about 1 month late.

Does anybody out there know if I just take it to my regular inspection station or will I have to do something in addition to that to get this straightened out?

I can't find an answer at the Texas web site that specifically deals with my specific problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,312 times
It's been dumbluck so far. Quick, just drive to the nearest inspection station that shows a Texas star.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 AM

59 posts, read 318,384 times
i think its just normal u just go and get it done. one time i got pulled over for it and he was like do u know that ur stickers are expired and i was like "man i don't even know how to read those numbers officer" and he let me go. hahaha. good luck! make sure u get it done!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Inspection stickers are not as highly regarded as the registration sticker by the boys in blue. Unless your "check engine" light is on you will pass the inspection. Its a total sham. If a cop is curious about you for any reason an expired inspection sticker is a great excuse to pull you over for a closer look but for the most part you will get away with a warning. Almost any jiffy lube or similar outfit will be able to do the inspection. No additional fee for renewing an expired sticker.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,608 times
this totally reminds me that i need to renew my license plate sticker or whatever its called.

as far as the inspection just take it to any mechanic that does it. it doesn't matter if you are late or not.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,614 times
Yep. No problem. I took it to my regular inspection station and was on the road again within 15-minutes. New sticker expires in May 2009. No sort of penalty whatsoever. I just assumed the state would have that covered, one way or another, and make me pay a few additional dollars.

I have been ticketed for an expired sticker by a state trooper on Hwy 36 within the city limits of West Columbia. That was many years ago. Maybe now days they treat it like speeders. That is, too many to attend to or just more important things to do.

Ah, now my car AND truck tags are due in June. Never ends does it? I just hope all that is required are new stickers, not that horribly ugly new license plate that was just forced on us.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:51 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,563 times
There's a stop sign that turns into my nighborhood and on May 1st there was a cop standing outside of his car checking inspection/registration stickers. With the traffic there is no way you could turn around. If your sticker was out of date he directed you over to 2 other cops who were writing tickets left and right.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:47 PM

40 posts, read 203,057 times
Texas has no special procedure for a late inspection. Just take it to a place that says they do state inspections.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
I got my first TX safety stickers and plates two weeks ago. It's more expensive than what I was used to. Couldn't they come up with smaller stickers and a better place to put them, like on the plates? These stickers are a safety hazard -- they distract the drivers. They are ugly. Nothing ruins the look of a nice, sports car worse than these stickers on the windshield.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
I used to co-manage an auto shop so repeating what I learned:

Passing inspection on an OBDII car ('96+) is a little more complicated than just making sure the check engine light is off. You have to complete what the manufacturer says is a "drive cycle" to ensure the monitors are set to "Ready". Your check engine light must also be functional. And there are 2 other tests to pass (safety & gas cap test) before you get the sticker.

Anyway, you were late, so you just bought yourself extra time. It expires in a year. If you did that with your registration and it was due Aug 2007, if you paid for a new one now it'd only be good until Aug 2008, so you'd need to get a new one in 3-4 months.

DavidT, the stickers only distract you because you're not used to them. We've had these for years without trouble. You can mount them side by side as far down as you can, instead of up & down. Just make sure the inspection sticker is in the corner of the windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston