Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:34 PM

5,851 posts, read 6,253,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The reason the vaccines are initially being sent to large systems is that they have the ability to store the vaccines (specifically the Pfizer product) at the required sub zero temperatures. Small/rural facilities and independent doctor's offices by and large don't have that. The large systems also have the organizational ability and manpower to administer large numbers of doses on site. Methodist and Memorial Hermann combined have a large percentage of the market share in the Houston area, so that's a lot of patients that are being offered vaccinations through them. I know many people who've already had their first shots and they've all been pleased with how the process has worked.
Wanted to expound on my comment in bold above because I was watching ABC-13 tonight and they were talking about Covid vaccinations and they mentioned that a large Urgent Care company (I think it was Nextcare Urgent Care) had vaccinated something like 7,000 people before the state changed criteria and they had to stop and I thought to myself "Why make them stop?" Sounds like they were doing a good job and Urgent Care's are ideal for people who don't have a doctor, aren't affiliated with a large system etc. Their CEO was interviewed via Zoom and said she hoped they could find someone to partner with the continue to give vaccines. Indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 12:41 PM

455 posts, read 532,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post
I also heard that clinics/hospitals are giving vaccines to people who walk in (who are young and not in Phase 1) if a person who had an appointment does not show. Anyone hearing the same?
Once the vaccine is taken out of the deep freeze and brought to temperature, it must be used in a certain amount of time (I think i read 6 hours) after which any unused portion has to be discarded. So, yeah, it's good that they can find someone to administer it to regardless of appointment or priority group. But hopefully it also means that you are able to secure the 2nd shot in a timely fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: