Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,144,402 times

Advertisements

my neighbors share their house with ex-college friends couple. probably 'renting' but i'm not sure if this is HOA legal. I thought I read something about a *single-family* home should only have one couple, married or otherwise. not sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,566,099 times
Here's another reason that some people would prefer renting~They're middle aged or above and no longer want the work or responsibility of owning a house. They've been there and done that with the mortgage, taxes, insurance, home repairs, and remodeling, etc. They're more comfortable living in an apartment where someone else takes care of the lawn and is responsible for the upkeep.

Actually, most people in our country aren't really homeowners even though they're classified as such. If they were actual homeowners, many wouldn't be in foreclosure.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,686,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Here's another reason that some people would prefer renting~They're middle aged or above and no longer want the work or responsibility of owning a house. They've been there and done that with the mortgage, taxes, insurance, home repairs, and remodeling, etc. They're more comfortable living in an apartment where someone else takes care of the lawn and is responsible for the upkeep.

Actually, most people in our country aren't really homeowners even though they're classified as such. If they were actual homeowners, many wouldn't be in foreclosure.
BINGO! One of the other fallacies that the pro-home ownership crowd throws out is the idea that you'll eventually pay into the house to the point where you own it and all you're left with is property taxes and maintenance for the rest of your life. The problem with that theory is that in this country the average "homeowner" holds on to a property for less than 9 years. In essence, home owners in this country are de facto renters, who prefer to pay a premium rent every month under the hope that the house becomes a cash cow in said 9 years. Worked for the boomers to a point, but look at the current mess. So the term home owner in this case is not even applicable, which is why many of us prefer to rent and view housing as a mere artifact of life, a utility, and have our wealth protected and invested elsewhere. It is still America, if you WANT to own a home for personal reasons go right ahead, but don't claim it's this end all be all and "renter's just don't know better" because on an economic argument that falls flat on it's face...unless you inherit it (the token case) at which point good for you.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM

655 posts, read 2,211,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I got more cash than enough to buy 2 large houses in the suburbs but I won't because

1) I hate suburbs, I want to live in Galleria, prices are OK but the maintenance fees are crazy and I do not want to pay sth for nothing.

2) I believe gas prices will skyrocket and soon pass $5/gl and more in the future. Thus the pricing structure of suburban houses and urban apartments will change to the favor of urban apartments. So suburban houses is out of question and I can not be far from work which is in Galleria

3) I pay $590/month for 1 bedroom all utilities paid with realtime 24 hour security 2 miles from Galleria. If I want to buy an apartment around here it will cost me close twice more to maintain that. I call maintenance and they fix whatever I want in an hour so. I love living in an apartment.
Sounds like a good deal. What building if you don't mind disclosing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston