Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 01:29 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

Southwest will return to IAH and fly at both airports.

https://abc13.com/travel/southwest-w...sence/6970681/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 05:28 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Southwest is also testing the two airport experiment in Chicago. O’Hare and IAH.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:47 AM

389 posts, read 595,876 times
They used to have flights from IAH to Love Field and nothing else. I wonder if they will have a wider variety of destinations this time.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
They used to have flights from IAH to Love Field and nothing else. I wonder if they will have a wider variety of destinations this time.
In the early eighties, Southwest used to fly from HOU to IAH! Yes, Hobby to Intercontinental! I guess it was to shuttle people? Does anyone else remember that?

Old 10-15-2020, 07:45 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
In the early eighties, Southwest used to fly from HOU to IAH! Yes, Hobby to Intercontinental! I guess it was to shuttle people? Does anyone else remember that?

So did Continental and I was on one of their shuttles, my first turboprop flight.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:06 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Yes, they plan on having a variety of destinations.

The main factor is planes. Pre-Covid, SWA was so busy, they didn't have the planes to add IAH to their routes. Now, they have planes coming out their wazoo, and in an effort to use them, will add multiple destinations from Bush/IAH.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So did Continental and I was on one of their shuttles, my first turboprop flight.

You know, maybe you are right! Now that you mention Continental, it could be that is who it was... I completely forgot about Continental because United did not ring a bell. But one thing for sure, there were flights between the two airports... I wanted to take a flight just because it was a flight, but I think I recall it was only available if you had a flight from the other airport.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:26 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Continental also flew Ellington to IAH for a while. I had been known to do that back when earning miles was so lucrative!

Old 10-15-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You know, maybe you are right! Now that you mention Continental, it could be that is who it was... I completely forgot about Continental because United did not ring a bell. But one thing for sure, there were flights between the two airports... I wanted to take a flight just because it was a flight, but I think I recall it was only available if you had a flight from the other airport.

I remember we lived in Pasadena at the time and were going to Cancun. No international out of Hobby then. I don't recall if it was a courtesy shuttle or extra charge but we were poor peons then so it couldn't have been very much if not free. Too long ago to remember details but I don't recall it being empty or light. I do remember the props, how they spun up so fast as to be invisible while taxiing and wondering how anything could spin so fast, then utterly amazed when they revved up many times faster when starting takeoff.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:

So, I looked it up and it depends. From wiki

In 1987 Continental Airlines had a "dual hub", a hub at Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and one at Hobby.[38] In February 1987 Continental had nonstops from Hobby to Austin, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York LaGuardia Airport, San Antonio and Washington D.C. National Airport. Nonstop "cross town" shuttle service was also being flown between HOU and IAH with Douglas DC-9-10s by Emerald Air operating as the "Houston Proud Express" or Continental with these flights using "CO" flight numbers with seven round trips a day. CO one-stops flew from Hobby to Bozeman, MT, Orlando, Sacramento and Tucson. Continental was operating up to 37 departures a day from HOU with Boeing 727-100s, 727-200s, 737-200s, 737-300s, Douglas DC-9-10s and McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30s. The airline shut down its hub at Hobby and was not serving the airport by the early 1990s although its regional affiliate Continental Express would return with "cross town" turboprop flights to IAH by the mid 1990s followed later by limited Continental mainline jet service
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_P._Hobby_Airport

Seems the shuttle in the mid 80's was jets by Emerald Air which code-shared as Continental, while the early 90's was turboprops by Continental Express. My flight was 1994 and turboprop so it would have been the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston