Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:23 PM

569 posts, read 1,079,520 times

Advertisements

Kingwood, Sienna Plantation, and Champion Forest are all what you'd call "social siberia". These are all suburbs filled with families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:33 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,009,164 times
Midtown or Montrose

Old 06-05-2008, 07:58 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
Kingwood, Sienna Plantation, and Champion Forest are all what you'd call "social siberia". These are all suburbs filled with families.
I doubt many college students want to live that far and in a childlish-family friendly bedroom community.

Maybe your "social siberia" is more like milf-night-out to Sam's Boat. Please elaborate.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:59 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,741,755 times
I live right by 59 entrance in Kingwood and it takes me 15-20 min to get to IAH and maybe 30-35 minutes to UH area although Ive never actually driven to the campus so I'm not sure what extra time that entails from the highway.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM

201 posts, read 656,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
I doubt many college students want to live that far and in a childlish-family friendly bedroom community.

Maybe your "social siberia" is more like milf-night-out to Sam's Boat. Please elaborate.
oh not quite Bike...I actually like the suburbs- and social siberia is fine by me- I'm a premed student, not a business major (no offense to all you out there-but I study study study, and go to work- I don't go out except on the weekends and "student" communities tend to drive me up the wall- I don't need to hear the music of someone through the floor, ceiling, walls, or from three doors down... I've lived in LA and Honolulu, as well as the suburbs of denver (boy, insanely social siberia ) so I'm familiar with both types of living and just prefer the suburbs as I find it quiter. The museum district wouldn't be so bad, if I could find an apartment that would fit within my budget (roughly 700-800/month) that has a study room in it ... I thank you all for your input. I'll be out in Houston on the 25th to get some hardcore apartment hunting in

Old 06-06-2008, 04:03 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,056,310 times
I would recommend you stay in the loop. Don't waste your study time commuting. There are plenty of quiet areas in Montrose, Museum District, and the Heights. Also perhaps Washington corridor, though I'm not familiar with any apartment buildings there.

You can find inexpensive and charming apartments in a duplex or fourplex, but be warned that you might have a landlord who is less than responsive regarding repairs and maintenance. Personally I would only rent one of those if the landlord is also your neighbor. The bigger apartment complexes may cost more, but usually have a pool, which is a nice thing to have, and more responsive maintenance staff. Though of course at UH you have a gorgeous new athletic facility with an awesome pool.

Good luck. Let us know what you find!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I would recommend you stay in the loop. Don't waste your study time commuting. There are plenty of quiet areas in Montrose, Museum District, and the Heights. Also perhaps Washington corridor, though I'm not familiar with any apartment buildings there.

You can find inexpensive and charming apartments in a duplex or fourplex, but be warned that you might have a landlord who is less than responsive regarding repairs and maintenance. Personally I would only rent one of those if the landlord is also your neighbor. The bigger apartment complexes may cost more, but usually have a pool, which is a nice thing to have, and more responsive maintenance staff. Though of course at UH you have a gorgeous new athletic facility with an awesome pool.

Good luck. Let us know what you find!
Thank you so much for your advice! I've been researching neighborhoods (this board helped quite a bit!) and I think I have a pretty good idea of where to look now...

I'll keep y'all updated on where we choose- I should know within the next two to three weeks!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Ok all...quick update here...mr golden and I got a tad sick of driving around houston looking for apartments...so we met up with an apartment locator...who directed us to the medical center. We spent a couple days strolling through the area (and getting lost) and fell in love with it. Any suggestions for a good apartment complex around there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: