Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 02:37 PM

89 posts, read 151,367 times

Advertisements

When I first decided to buy my home, I fell in love with the layout of the 2 story home. Master upstairs which left the entire first floor to be very open. A few people scoffed at the idea that I would buy a home with the master bedroom upstairs. I started to question my decision. Honestly, I am so glad I did it and see so many benefits of it. I think if you are elderly than maybe this won't work for you but it has been so convenient. Plus I'm still young. When I'm older or if I have a lot of bigger kids then yea I'll probably want some space between myself and the rowdy kids and I'll probably get a 1 story or a master down stairs; but in the mean time, this layout works really well.

What are your thoughts? Master Bedroom Upstairs or Downstairs??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 02:54 PM

4,838 posts, read 3,264,426 times
It's been a long time since I lived in two story house, but I didn't like climbing stairs back then. Even less now. Plus, if there's a even a tiny chance it would be hotter upstairs, it's a no for sure.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:15 PM

348 posts, read 460,115 times
Upstairs.
I had a post a couple of years ago when moving to this area, asking about the prevalence of master bedrooms downstairs. I didn’t have a choice and ours is downstairs but I still prefer upstairs. I feel like the location of movie/extra room in many homes should be switched with the master bedroom.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,388 times
Most people moving to the area are used to an upstairs master, and families with young children especially have a hard time getting used to the idea of sleeping on a different floor to their children. But as a parent of older kids, it’s great to have a little more privacy, and we are more likely to be able to stay in this house long term, because we can live entirely downstairs.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:27 AM

186 posts, read 188,657 times
I am a big believer in placing function at the top of priority lists.

to start, im a fan of single story homes in general for this above reason. If you have to look at 2 story
you go to sleep every day.
You dont watch movies in your media room every day
Put everything you use every day on the first floor if possible

Master bedroom upstairs knocks out a group of buyers who typically have money

Old 07-21-2020, 07:36 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
As a woman who is nearing retirement age I would prefer the master bedroom downstairs. No climbing stairs as much and if you have guests visiting you still have your privacy.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:46 AM

694 posts, read 835,178 times
When you are young, or have young children it makes less difference, but as your kids get older, its nice not to share a bedroom wall with them, and better to have the master downstairs. Then as you get older, its nice not to have to climb the stairs all the time.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:14 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,051,124 times
The reasons I see for having a bedroom downstairs would be for elderly people, or in case of injury. We've dealt with a c-section, an Achilles tendon tear, and a sprained ankle, all of which kept us as young, healthy people from being able to climb stairs for a while. But if you have a back-up plan for those situations, who cares.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:32 AM

305 posts, read 265,379 times
I don't know if it's still this way, but in the Sugar Land area in the early 2000s, the master bedroom upstairs was the 'kiss of death' in home selling - at least in the $300k price range. I remember my parents selling a house back then and 90% of people who looked at the house said they could not do the all bedrooms up floor plan. Ultimately, the 'floorplan obsolescence' meant they didn't get as much money selling as a more-traditional two story floor plan of the same size.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:41 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,522,112 times
Upstairs. Especially now in SHTF situation. Chances of home break-ins are going to increase. Especially when the criminals are getting green light.
And if intruders are coming to your area to do a mass assault, it's harder to shoot you from outside if you are upstairs. Better to have all the walls covered with brick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston